Having problems loading game

Ryouth

When I select a game that is most of the time involving first person like any of the marines. It loads all of the scripts and says stand by plays music but then closes and has no error but the game works with commander space flight... Plz help!!!!

If your profiles details are correct though lacking most info the problem is your video card.

I wouldn't have expected UC to even load with a "Nvidia Riva TNT2 model 64 plug and play"

UC requires a minimum of a "32MB DirectX 8.1 compliant graphics card with Vertex Shader 1.1 or higher"

Edit

This thread UC Pixel and Vertex shader requirements is worth reading as is the link to a handy comparison chart on Beyond3D

[ 02-05-2005, 02:14 PM: Message edited by: Pugwash ]

TNT2? I had one of those. It was forced obsolete on my machine by some game I purchased two or three years ago.

I gotta hand it to you if you've managed to get by on that for as long as you did. But you can't dodge the upgrade bullet forever I'm sure you can find some cheap cards out there that'll meet minimum requirements that won't put too bad a pinch on your wallet.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Arthur_Dent1976

Hi Tazman,

welcome to the game and the forums! To get rid of the Protection error message, please follow up on the advice posted in this thread. Also, in order to be able to help you with further tech issues, please add a link to your system profile in your sig. You can read this thread for instructions on how to do that.

Hope you get the error message sorted out!

How do I add the link of my system profile here?

My problem is fixed with uninstalling Nero. The game worked until I installed my Logitech Wingman Force Feedback 3D Joystick and now it starts loading the Models upto Intruder.3D then closes and returns to my Windows Desktop.

Models preloading is OFF by default. So, however you turned it on, you caused the problem for yourself.

Apart from that, you have NO BUSINESS editing that INI file manually. The settings you can edit are accessible via the CONFIG screen.

Apart from that, your TNT2 card does not have a shader engine to begin with. Which means that is DOES NOT meet the MINIMUM requirements for running the game.

alright. I have a Geforce 4 4200 FX card, 1/2 a GB of RAM, about 80 gigs of HD memory, about 20 gigs left. Updated all my drivers, updated the game to the max, and the game works fine. There are still some parts where the game will just freeze up, and I will have to reload a save game, which would have happened a long time ago, because I hate >.< having to quit and reload every time I want to save in precaution for the freeze. But anyway, you can get a Geforce 4200 for cheap, but dont expect much help in major games that need good graphics cards. Try COMP USA for like cheap, high end cards

I am having problems getting UC to run. I have read the troubleshooting FAQs. I searched the Tech Support Forum and read all related threads. I have followed the instructions for installing, uninstalling, patching, updating drivers, updating DirectX

Drivers are: NVIDIA nvdisp.drv version 4.14.0010.6610, AUDIGY EMU10KX.VXD version 4.12.0001.0125.

Here is a rundown of the sequence I have experienced.

The problem at hand is that when I launch UC, I get past the DreamCatcher screen and then the screen turns black with only my mouse pointer (now in what looks like 800x600 size) showing on the screen. It moves with the mouse, but that is the only response I can get from my machine. I have to reboot with either CTRL-ALT-DEL or using reset or shutdown buttons.

My desktop is set in 1074x768, 32 bit color.

1) I installed UC.

2) I launched the mpconfig and set it up for LAN, 3 players.

3) I launched Ucmp server successfully

4) I launched Ucmp successfully, found the server, joined it. The game came up in 800x600 mode.

5) I flew the CC to PROCON (which looked a lot like Earth) on AP successfully

6) While descending I went into LOGISTIX /CONFIG and changed the settings to 1024 x 768 and Saved

7) Upon exiting the display was scrambled, with lines. Moving the mouse around and clicking I was able to get back to the Bridgeview (Integrated Tactical Display). It was partly scrambled. I exited using ALT-Q.

8) Decided to install 2.00.00 patch per instructions, did so successfully. Then installed 2.00.20 successfully. Then installed 2.00.21 successfully.

9) Launched UC. Past the Dreamcatcher screen, got a blank screen with mouse pointer.

10) Uninstalled UC, deleted directory. Installed DirectX 9.0c (had 9.0b). Reinstalled UC 1.00.01. all with many re-boots as required.

11) Launched UC. Past Dreamcatcher screen, got blank screen with mouse pointer. Reboot.

12) Launched UCMP server. Failed.

13) Uninstalled NVIDIA drivers.

14) Reinstalled NVIDIA drivers.

15) Uninstalled UC.

16) Reinstalled UC

17) Set Desktop to 1024x768, 32-bit.

18) Launched Mpserver config successfully

19) Launched Ucmpserver successfully

20) Launched Join MPServerver successfully.

21) Flew to PROCON again. While flying used LOGISTIX/CONFIG to change display to 1024x768, saved, exited. In Bridgeview (Integrated Tactical Display) got lines, static and game locked up, music in loop.

22) Reboot. Desk top came up at 800x600. Reset to 1024x768 32-bit.

23) Start UCmpserver, successfully but in a window frame.

24) Join UCmpserver successful, but now it is 1024x768 mode! Flew to PROCON. Zoomed to planet. Got server Disconnected message. Exited, but server was still running. Shut it down.

25) Launched UC. After Dreamcatcher screen, BLANK SCREEN with mouse pointer again! Reboot.

26) Screen came up in 640x480 mode. Reset to 1024x768, 32-bit.

27) Launched UC mpserver successfully. Launched UC mp, got join server screen, but no server found, when refresh, got illegal op, invalid page fault in module D3D8l.DLL @ 017f:00fc7994. Reboot

28) Start UCmpserver, successfully but in a window frame.

29) Join UCmpserver successful, but now it is 1024x768 mode! Flew to PROCON. Landed (sort of hard) on planet. Got Server Disco message. Exited. Server still running. Shut it down.

30) Launched UC. Past Dreamcatcher screen, got blank screen with mouse pointer. Reboot.

I hope there is enough here for you to help me.

I hate to admit this, but after re-reading the FAQ's for about the 5th time, I tried using the '-n' parameter in the UC shortcut and the game launches fine in sp mode. Somehow I had associated that work around with WinXP and didn't think it applied to Win98SE.

My apologies.

quote:

Originally posted by Ryouth:

When I select a game that is most of the time involving first person like any of the marines. It loads all of the scripts and says stand by plays music but then closes and has no error but the game works with commander space flight... Plz help!!!!

Having the same problem...is it again most likely a graphics issue?

• 1 month later...

i am also having the same problem as the orgional poster reported.

when i run free roam and select commande career it work's fine (i can even exit my ship and fly around in space)

yet when i try instant combat (marine class) the game start's to load the crashes to desktop.

Edit* i just tried the last instand combat mission af marine and it worked. it may just be a few select mission;s that arnt working.

[ 04-11-2005, 09:48 PM: Message edited by: abacadabbra ]

sry for dbl post unable to edit my post again...

just checked out all the marine mission's and only 3 worked for me.

those where:

e.f. marine tatical evac.

m.i. & a.f. supress enemy air defence

all the other's load the script's and then crash, a few finish loading and i hear a gun reloading sound before it crashes.

i just figured out the solution to this problem.

properly applying the game patch. you see the patch must be placed inside and run from the game directory (example: C:Program FilesDreamCatcher3000ADUniversal Combat).

it's very unusal but after i did it every thing worked fine.

quote:

Originally posted by abacadabbra:

i just figured out the solution to this problem.

properly applying the game patch. you see the patch must be placed inside and run from the game directory (example: C:Program FilesDreamCatcher3000ADUniversal Combat).

it's very unusal but after i did it every thing worked fine.

If you had actually READ the FAQ that came with the game (not to mention the fact that the patch downloads page has patching information at the very top - and in Red text no less), you wouldn't be littering my forums with this nonsense.

Tell you what. Just for that, you have been temp banned for a week. That should give you enough time to think about this. If we forget to unban you by next week, send email to [email protected]. If you attempt to re-register (yes, believe it or not, we will know), you will be perma-banned at the ISP level.

[ 04-12-2005, 04:33 PM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]