FP Mode CTD

Thanks for deleting my post, haven't got a clue why you have

The game crashes whenever I go into First Person mode. Period. Whether I'm exiting a craft in space or on a planet. Same story if I start an Instant Action or Roam as a Marine.

I read a previous topic and the SC mentioned not having a Vertex Shader. That's not the problem because my SiS 630/730 has one, v1.1.

The rest of the game works fine. What the heck is going on?

You haven't added your system profile to your signature, that's why your thread was deleted.

Without that info, we can't help you locate the problem.

You also haven't stated which version of the game you are using, which also makes a huge difference.

Please correct these two issues and we can start helping you.

His video card does not have the required vertex shader which is heavily used on the planet. To my knowledge - unless they are cheating with software emulation (like nVidia used to do), that SiS chipset does not have it.

If thats not it, then he has improperly applied the patches; which would explain why even fp mode in space crashes. My guess is that he didn't copy the batched into the game folder and install them correctly. Now he has to start from scratch as indicated in the FAQ.

Oh, my mistake. I've got the latest patch, v2.00.28. My system profile information IS on my profile however.

As far as I can tell I've patched it correctly. I put both patches in the game folder after I installed it, and applied the 2.00.00 patch then the 2.00.28 patch, and it said both were OK.

I read somewhere that there was a problem with a crash because the ammo counts for some weapons were wrong. I'm thinking maybe that's the problem.

I also thoght that maybe the game wasn't loading the weapons correctly, but I tried loading the weapon models using the BCStudio tool, and it shows them fine, so it can't be that.

If you guys can fix this you have my eternal gratitude

Edit: Try running the new 'video card tester' utility over on the UC-AWA game info page.Just to see what happens.

If that passes vertex shader 1.1, I would try Directx diagnostics (dxdiag),make sure video accleration is on,cut sound accleration way back.

Also check video accleration in the 'Display Properties' 'Settings'.

Also, dxdiag will tell you how much memory you have.

quote:

Originally posted by Cc:

Universal Combat is not friendly to laptops.

Rubbish. I run it - and UCAWA - on my laptop all time when I'm out back working (and connecting to my office computers via WiFi. As long as the laptop meets with the requirements for the game, it will work. The reason it is not officially supported on laptops has to do with the fact that some [earlier] laptops share their main memory with the video subsystem and this alone can cause problems.

quote:

Originally posted by Cc:

Edit: Try running the new 'video card tester' utility over on the UC-AWA game info page.Just to see what happens.

If that passes vertex shader 1.1, I would try Directx diagnostics (dxdiag),make sure video accleration is on,cut sound accleration way back.

Rubbish. Please don't tell people this stuff unless you KNOW wtf you're talking about.

That card tester utility is for UCAWA only and has specific tests for that game. UC and UCAWA have very different requirements.

I re-installed the game and carefull applied the patches. Didn't work, as I suspected.

The Direct X thing....I don't see why sound acceleration would be a problem, but I'll give a shot.

I'm willing to try anything at this point

Whatever happens, thanks for the help:) especially you SC Nice to know I'm not the only laptop user out there!

*sigh* Knew that wasn't it. I tried playing about with the .ini file changing some of the things that weren't on the Config screen but to no avail.

I've tried everything there is but I still don't get this. One thing is left, it could be my CD-ROM. I'm not sure what speed it is. But the rest of the game is fine, so somehow I doubt it.

The game does not run off the CD-ROM, so it can't be that.

What game are you running? Your profile shows BCM Gold. Why then did you create this thread in the UC forum?

Anyway, lets face it, you have a crappy system that doesn't even meet the game's minimum requirements.