Naval scenes on the terrain

quote:

Originally posted by Wolfheart:

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

quote:

The problem is:since patch 2.00.21 the surface of planets have changed(this means areas which were formerly covered with snow are now deserts,no more oceans etc.).

Rubbish.

You said it more than once but I really wonder how you explain that I did not have any problems with any patch since 2.00.21(IIRC my first patch was 2.00.16),but I started having two problems(one of them is this) with 2.00.21(and ALL of the later ones)
I don't have to explain what is going on with YOUR system. Obviously, since I can't reproduce it and only a few of you have it, tells me that you have an issue on your end that you need to resolve. Nothing to do with me.

If the map files are out of synch - due a bad install and/or patch - then this is a symtom of that.

Furthermore, nobody seems to know which version is causing this problem for them because everything is shooting in the dark. Unless you have a recent patch that does not have the problem and one that does, this is all just a waste of time.

EDIT: Apart from that, IA0111 is the best scenario to use to test this silly issue. There is an entire naval fleet there (including subs) which are perfectly where they should be.

[ 05-14-2005, 12:18 PM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Unless you have a recent patch that does not have the problem and one that does

I have just installed UC and tested these(I have *properly* uninstalled UC each time before I tried a different version):

Version 2.00.20 does NOT have this problem.

version 2.00.21 does have this problem.

Version 2.00.27 does have this problem.

Version 2.00.30RC10 does have this problem.

I can provide screenshots with each version if neccessary.

I just can fall in with wolfheart.

I determined exactly the same way wolfheart uses

that the problems started with patch 2.00.21

EVERY patch below this patch would work like it should.

Apart from that:I tried the scenario IA0111.

It would like the same as you can see it in the picture that marc wubbema made

http://members.home.nl/wubbema/200302.jpg

And as I said above,this only appears with patch version 2.00.21 and above.

Furthermore:I don't know if this might have relevance but:

I tried to load for example earthz.3dc with the pte-studio.None of the problems mentioned in this thread would appear.

I would urge everyone that EXACTLY has this problem:

-only 1 planet default terrain texture(for example a featureless desert on earth) ,so that for example IA0111 would look like the picture I mentioned above.

to post in here, stating since which patch version they are experiencing these problems.

And please,make sure you have done the whole patching like that http://www.3000ad.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?u...c;f=22;t=000019

and have also checked the patch for possible corruption with the md5 file.

So that we can see how many exactly are having this problem and if they are all having the problems since the 2.00.21 patch.

quote:

It would like the same as you can see it in the picture that marc wubbema made

I went to the same coordinates that the screenshot was taken (Earth, Ter-Mil Earth 331, Nbase/Nbase03) using the latest patch and did not see anything out of the ordinary. Ships were floating and the underwater base was...well, underwater.

Sure,this is of course strange,that just a couple of people seem to have this problem and the majority not.Even you don't have this problem,though you possess the same video card as me(though you don't seem to have an MSI video card).But as I can't remember to have anything done wrong with the whole patching, I guess it can't be wrong to post about it,as there ARE people who do have this kind of problems.And as we didn't made that up out of nothing but spent a lot of time to get this thing solved on our own,but didn't have success.So there is just the way to report it.

Yes i can confirm that, but it would probably be best if we sticked to UC on this topic, and discuss problems with the AWA demo in the demo discussion forum.

But SC is right, this is guesswork, we know we have the problem, and we know since which version it started, but we dont have a clue what is causing it, we ruled out the graphics card (since we all have different cards), so perhaps this is indeed a problem with our computers...

We just need to figure out what the problem is, and then we can start thinking of a fix, this is going nowhere....

I opened a trouble ticket in Area 51 and like me, the testers could not reproduce this issue.

I would suggest the following:

1. Uninstall the game and DELETE the folder
  2. Install the game from the CD-ROM
  3. Download the 2.00.00 patch again (from 3DGamers) and copy it into the game folder.
  4. Download the latest 2.00.30 patch (from the registration page) and copy it into the game folder.
  5. Apply the 2.00.00 patch
  6. Run the IA0111 scenario and look around to make sure that the naval units are fine.
  7. Go back to that scene in Majoris and repeat the same procedure.
  8. Apply the 2.00.30 patch
  9. Repeat step #6
  10. Post the results

I also wrote a 2.00.30 compatible IA0917 scenario. Just copy it into the game's DATA folder, start the game and run the IA0917 scenario.

This scenario puts you in the military base about 25km from the naval base in question. Just take off and fly to the naval base.

btw, when you start, the NID map should look exactly like the naval_test.jpg image contained the scenario zip file above. If its not, then there is a problem.

Ok I've done the whole thing.

1.deleted uc and the folder

2.applied 2.00 patch after having copied the patch into the game folder

3.I ran IA0111 everything looks fine

4.applied the 2.00.30RC10 patch

5.I ran IA0111,it would look like that http://members.home.nl/wubbema/200302.jpg

6.Then I tried out the Test Scenario IA0917,it would look like that http://img188.echo.cx/my.php?image=photo0004jo.jpg"

I have just tried all of the steps(including downloading the patches again) and got the same results.The NID is the same with naval_test.jpg using patch 2.00.00 but when I apply patch 2.00.30RC10 the NID changes as in paranides shot above.

OK, we're getting somewhere. As I suspected, somehow, your version is loading the WRONG map for that planet. Which means a bad patch install or download.

I need a volunteer.

Wolfheart, from your current 2.00.30 patch version, do the following:

1. Open up a console window (START/RUN/CMD.EXE) and change to the PTE3PTEMAP folder. Execute this command DIR > PTEMAPS.TXT
  2. Still in the console window, change to the PTE3STETEX folder. Execute this command DIR > STETEX.TXT
  3. Locate the PTEDEFS.INI file located in the PTE3 folder
  4. Zip all three files (PTEMAPS.TXT, STETEX.TXT, PTEDEFS.INI) above to wolfheart.zip and send to me at [email protected]

If you don't want to use START/RUN to execute the command console, then open up Windows Explorer and change to the game install folder. Then right-click on the folder and select "Command Prompt". This will open up the command prompt window in that folder.

[ 05-16-2005, 08:19 AM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

Done.

The files you sent are fine. So this could be a video driver issue. But before I make this conclusion, I need you to do the following please.

1. Uninstall the game and kill the folder
  2. Install from the retail CD-ROM
  3. Apply the 2.00.00 patch
  4. Download and apply this 2.00.20 patch
  5. Run the IA0111 scenario and tell me if the naval scene is OK or not. I also need a screen shot showing the NID map.
  6. Download and apply this 2.00.21 patch
  7. Run the IA0111 scenario and tell me if the naval scene is OK or not. I also need a screen shot showing the NID map.

I read in a post that this issue started after (or was it before), the 2.00.21 patch.

Step 1:Deleted UC + the game's folder

Step 2:Installed UC

Step 3:Copied both patches into the game folder

Step 4:Applied patch 2.00

Step 5:Applied patch 2.00.20

Step 6:Started IA0111,everythings fine, it would look like that http://img212.echo.cx/img212/4364/uc200209ix.jpg

Step 7:Applied patch 2.00.21,the problems appear, it would look like that http://img212.echo.cx/img212/9720/uc200212zc.jpg

quote:

Originally posted by paranide:

Please do NOT post again in this thread. I already have a volunteer.

quote:

I've done all the steps and got the same results.

Here are my shots:

IA0111 with patch 2.00.20

IA0111 with patch 2.00.21

What do you mean you got the same results? The 2.00.20 looks fine. Since 2.00.21 is incorrect (using the wrong map), now I know where to start looking.

OK, do this

1. Apply the latest 2.00.30 patch on top of your current (2.00.21 I assume) patch.
  2. Download GBS-III from the registration page and extract to a temp folder.
  3. Copy ptestudio.exe and ptestudio.ini files from the GBSIIIToolsPTEstudio folder to your game install folder.
  4. Create a shortcut to the ptestudio.exe file with the following parameters -r1024x768 -b32
  5. Run the PTEstudio shortcut and follow the instructions below.

1. Press F2
  2. In the first box, select earth. In the second box select earth331[nbase] (if you click in the box and start typing earth331, it will appear). In the third box select scene_nbase03 (the first one). In the fourth box, select fleet_naval03
  3. After making these selections in the four boxes, click on the Go to Object button.
  4. This will load the naval scene (where IA0111 takes place). Tap the HOME key 4-6 times so that you are above the sea level.
  5. Press CTRL+M to display the map. This is exact same map that is displayed in NID/MAP mode.
  6. Press CTRL+S to display the stats about the mzone, scene etc etc
  7. Press CTRL+G to take a screen shot (look in the SHOTS folder for it). Convert it to JPEG and post it for me to see.

What I'm trying to figure is if in fact this is a video driver issue. The map and scene in PTEStudio should appear as in v2.00.00 NID/MAP mode.

quote:

oops,it seems something has happened(the local map is actually there) but I could not see it in pte studio because that planet/scene bar hid it

Yeah, you need to close that dialog once the scene is loaded.

Anyway, download this new PTEstudio build (backup the existing ptestudio.exe first), extract to your game folder and run the same test. If the map displays correctly, no need to post another pic, just say yes or no.