Universal Combat - Product End Of Life

A game's EOL (according to publishing contracts) is one year from its retail release. Traditionally we've supported and improved upon our games way past this period.

Anyway, this is the official notice that the Universal Combat EOL is on May 1st 2005. On or before that date, one final patch will be released and UC, like our other four older games, will no longer be [actively] supported.

Also, the free public multiplayer servers will be switched to support Universal Combat - A World Apart only; as we will no longer be providing free servers for UC. One more server will be added for UCAWA, for a total of four servers; all running various types of UCAWA mp scenarios.

[ 04-05-2005, 06:33 PM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

• 1 month later...

I have updated the VCF to reflect items which will be in the upcoming final UC patch (v2.00.30). The four remaining items in the "under investigation" section will be looked at before this final patch is released.

Effective June 1st, UC and BCM Gold are no longer supported.

The final 2.00.30 patch for UC will be released sometime this month. At which time the 3000AD multiplayer servers will be shutdown.

Just a quick update to let you folks know that I'm still working on wrapping up four items before the final patch for UC is released.

UC has come a long way since it was first released in early 2004 in a better state than what Dreamcatcher wanted to release it in, thanks to my fight to keep them from shipping a Release Candidate version that hadn't been signed off by me. Sure, the legal shenanigans cost me a bundle, but at the end of the day, it was money well spent and I would do it all over again if I had to.

Thanks for your support through the good, bad and ugly times. Even for a $19.99 game, I think we've done good, instead of abandoning it.

Guest Shingen

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Thanks for your support through the good, bad and ugly times. Even for a $19.99 game, I think we've done good, instead of abandoning it.

For a $20 game, UC is, and has continued to be, the best damn DX3D space sim ever released...bar none.

I can say that I sincerely appreciate your support for EVERY BC title you've ever released, and am and will always remain a devout BC fan.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Yeah, I'd say you done good. There are subscription based MMOs that are not supported as well as this "$20" game. Good work.

What's really sad about this whole thing with DC is that if they would have released the game at $49.99, even for only the 1st Month, it probably would not have changed the sales figures all that much. We, your loyal fan base would have bought it, because we just couldn't wait to get our hands on it. After a month, drop the price to $39.99 to keep the sales momentum going, after another 2 months, Drop it another 10 bucks, another 2 months, another 10 bucks. And finally another 2 months another drop it down to the bargain basement to $19.99.

The End result, the first 5 months at a price higher than the $19.99 that they released it at, and I SERIOUSLY doubt that it would have made any difference at all in the sales figures. They would have made more money, SC would have made more money and SC could have hired additional help to keep the games and upgrades rolling at a little bit faster pace. EVERYONE is happy.

DC reduced the price because they're an unscrupulous and greedy bunch of b*stards who don't deserve to be in business. They figured that since they were going to attempt releasing it in its unfinished form (like they recently did with Dungeon Lords, the farce that was Painkiller multiplayer etc) anyway, that they would halve the price to match the state of the game they were going to release. Without telling me. Of course we've all seen how that turned out. If it wasn't for the legal shenanigans and my due diligence, the game wouldn't have even worked out of the box.

But just wait, we'll all see soon enough what happens to Dreamcatcher. The end is inevitable.

[ 06-06-2005, 08:25 AM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Clearly DC has shown terrible judgement in many things - their apparent undermining of SC being just one of them- but I for one do not wish for their demise. As they are a committed PC game publisher, I would much rather that they get their sh*t straight and start doing business in a more responsible and ethical manner. Otherwise, they will go the way of the dodo. But I still WANT to support any publisher that makes PC games a priority. Here's hoping that they straighten up before their demise.

They won't straighten up. And history has shown - more than once - that publishers who screw devs and gamers, eventually go out of business or are bought out and gutted. Bigger - much bigger - publishers have ended up this way.

All I'll say is this:

I'm not gonna buy ANY product from Dreamcatcher...here on out. Reasons simple really. They F****D a developer over and probably will again to anyone if given the chance. I'm also throwing away ANY product I have here that have their name on it too (still gotta look, but I don't think I do but for UC)...exceptions being are any developed by SC

NO developer should be treated that way as far as I'm concerned.

(I don't speak for Prime either in this post...I speak PERSONALLY on the matter...)

• 2 years later...