The status of GBS-III for Universal Combat

Supreme Cmdr

My original plan was to ship the GBS-III modding tools with the game; either on the CDROM or as a separate download.

Once it became clear that I could not devote time to doing this, docs etc, coupled with the legal issues brewing with Dreamcatcher at the time, I dropped all plans to do so. Then Dreamcatcher - without my consent nor consulting with me - dropped the price of the game from its original and intended $39.99 MSRP to $19.99. With that, I finally abandoned any/all plans to release this tool.

I didn't promise it to anyone (I didn't even release GBS-II for BCM Gold to the public) and its not part of the game that you bought.

It has come to my attention that Dreamcatcher Europe took upon themselves - and without my permission nor consulting with me - to indicate on the game box that GBS-III was available. Please take this up with them, because the North American box which I signed off on, does not have any such indication.

These tools are currently only available to testers, most of who are already familiar with its use, going back to the very first GBS-I of 1996.

I am going to make this very clear. I have absolutely NO intentions of releasing these tools to the public at this time. If you have any issues about this, please, by all means, contact Dreamcatcher Europe.

That is all.

EDIT: Statement over on DC forums

[ 02-29-2004, 09:59 AM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

A while ago there was talk of including plugins for max or other 3d programs that would enable us incorporate our own stuff into the game. Then it got cancelled due to the issues of earlier this year. Will the GBS III that ships with UCHTL include these capabilities, or will it be the stripped down, script-only GBS?

I have purchased BC, BCM, BCMG, and UC all with the hope of adding my own content to a vast and detailed universe unlike any other game. If GBS-III will not include these plugins, what about including them with GBS II for BCMG for those of us who would like to mod the game?

I don't plan on adding the ability to import user created models because to mod the game at that level requires extensive documentation and the release of several other tools I have no intentions of releasing to the public.

So no, you're not going to be able to create a Babylon 5 mod any time soon.