Website re-design

Supreme Cmdr

Well, its been almost a decade since the last site design was done (in 1998). So, Mark's been working on a new design which went live today.

Its not finished yet as some content (graphics, widgets etc) still need to be put in place, but its a good - clean - start.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Firehawk:

Looks good...I still remember when the LAST re-design went live...boy I'm getting old.

Oh man!! Talk about lurker!!!! Hi Firehawk, long time no post!

Yeah, the last time the site was revamped, it was quite an event.

...yes, we ARE getting old.

I don't plan on doing anything with the forums because, well, they work just fine and there's really nothing to change to it.

Looks good SC, I like the new site, brighter, easier navigation, more info etc, but that's kind of the point of a new redesign.

A lot of redesigns just make a good website worse, whereas this one makes a good website better.

Well done to your webmaster!!

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Well, its been almost a decade since the last site design was done (in 1998). So, Mark's been working on a
which went live today.

Its not finished yet as some content (graphics, widgets etc) still need to be put in place, but its a good - clean - start.

Wow, has it really been that long It doesn't seem like its been near that long since old site went live.

The new ones sweet though very clean and easy to navigate.

Thanks everybody. If you come across any errors, please let us know. Everything has been thoroughly tested, but as in any complex program, little things can sneak through.

The site is running a bit slow right now as there are still little logs and things going to help make sure that everything is in order, keep track of external links (so I can get them updated), etc. After a little while of that, I'll turn them off and get a little more responsiveness in there.

Also, these are my favorite UBB smilies and they go with my thoughts once the new site finally went live, so:

...oh, and we're going to move the server from the PC XT thats its running on now, to a faster server since the new CMS (Content Management System) is probably using up all that 128K of memory on the box. Hence the slowdown.

Seriously. The server (on Pair Networks) was setup on 03/01 and upgraded on 11/01. I don't even want to tell you what hardware its running on.

I'd move the patches-download up to downloads, if I were you, and if it becomes as fast as the 'old' site was, I'd accept it. But I liked the old site, you actually had to look at it to find things, just like you actually have to read the manual to live in BC/UC/etc.

PC XT? Yeah, you might want to upgrade that to a Pentium 2. I think I've got a compaq P2 server in my closet I can send you SC.

Great redesign! You might want to redo the front graphic though, there's a little filth around the edges that looks a bit funny. (But I'm overly critical since I'm a web developer, so just ignore me.)

Well it appears that the server migration is pretty much solid. I can't tell you how glad I am that it went as well as it did. As usual, let us know if there are any errors.

Yay! More smileys!

[ 08-26-2007, 03:00 PM: Message edited by: voltaic ]

Yep, it went quite well, though we had some hairy moments over the weekend during the move from Pair to Aplus.net, but it all worked out it seems.

btw, we're going to be upgrading UBB to Invision IP.Board during the next week or so as well.

Since all the forum threads can be migrated, we won't lose anything.

A bunch of background items (fleets dB, registration dB etc) are all going to be revamped during this major upgrade as well.