Alliance Command - Official Announcement

Guest Remo Williams

Guest Remo Williams

Incoming Transmission

Attention Patrol and Diplomacy Fleet Members

It is with regret that I announce the removal of the Gammulan Fleet leader lordDavid and his second in command Jaguar as ordered by 3000AD HERE for prolonged inactivity within the fleet community.

Until a new Fleet Leader is selected the Gammulan fleet will be under the direct control of the Gammulan Alliance, which will begin review of both Gammulan Fleets specialized organizational structures, all archived fleet documents, web presence, and status of each fleet member.

The 3000AD fleets will no longer follow the status quo of inactivity that weÔÇÖve followed the last few years. All fleet members must contribute to the fleet by either RP or MP activity to maintain fleet membership. If you do not have the time or desire to do either please state your resignation here so that you can be removed from the DB and no longer receive any fleet notices by email.

The fleets DB will issue a roll call; any bounced email notices will result in the removal of the member profiles with an invalid email address. Any members that fail to respond to the call to duty will also be removed. All new recruits will be required to attend the Gammulan War College to obtain the specialized training needed to be apart of the Gammulan military. The War College will help and guide new members to the community by providing activities for member interaction.

The goals that will be achieved over the next few months are to revise and publish a Gammulan fleet charter, choose a new fleet leader, update or create a fleet web site, establish a training program.

I look forward to working with Gammulan fleet members to help establish that the Gammulans meet the requirements to maintain fleet status. The participation of all of the official 3000AD fleets through RP writing, RP forum banter, and MP activity will enhance the experience and enjoyment for the whole fleet community.

If you would like to assist in the revival of Gammulan empire please post here, if you want to be removed from The Gammulan fleets please post here also as I stated above. I will post further instructions as the membership review progresses.

That is all!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Remo Williams

Effective immediately both Gammulan fleets are being combined to make one fleet that will henceforth be known in the fleet community as Hernaor Fleet.

Hernaor is from an Old Icelandic language meaning "a war like people, or warriors" in case you were wondering.

Remo Out

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Remo Williams

Are you looking for death and destruction, are you into chaos and mayhem then the newly created Gammulan Hernaor fleet MP team is calling you. Join today and spread havoc and terror across the universe in your quest for unlimited power.

http://www.galcom.net

• 1 year later...

Just curious here, but who's in control of the Gammulan fleet? Has it been dissolved?

Also, why isn't there any fleet presence in RP?

From what I can ascertain, RP activity seems to be a requisite for fleet membership, yet there aren't any fleets active in RP.

quote:

Just curious here, but who's in control of the Gammulan fleet? Has it been dissolved?

At this time, there is no one in control of the Gammulan Fleet.

quote:

Also, why isn't there any fleet presence in RP?

I'm not entirely sure, but perhaps the current active fleet members just don't want to be part of RP for whatever reason.

quote:

RP activity seems to be a requisite for fleet membership

That is not true. RP activity is not a requisite for fleet membership.

-Sho

quote:

Originally posted by ShoHashi:

At this time, there is no one in control of the Gammulan Fleet.

If no one controls the Gammulan fleet, how does one apply for membership?

quote:

I'm not entirely sure, but perhaps the current active fleet members just don't want to be part of RP for whatever reason.

Then what is the purpose of a fleet?

quote:

That is not true. RP activity is not a requisite for fleet membership.

-Sho

Again, if some sort of activity (either MP nor RP) isn't required, nor expected, then why have them in the first place? Again, I'm just curious.. then there is this above:

quote:

Originally posted by Remo:

The 3000AD fleets will no longer follow the status quo of inactivity that weÔÇÖve followed the last few years. All fleet members must contribute to the fleet by either RP or MP activity to maintain fleet membership.

If you do not have the time or desire to do either please state your resignation here so that you can be removed from the DB and no longer receive any fleet notices by email.

It seems to me that the fleets used to have a purpose..now they are just dead.

Sad.

quote:

If no one controls the Gammulan fleet, how does one apply for membership?

By joining in the Fleet Database.

quote:

Then what is the purpose of a fleet?

As of right now...for Fleet Action.

quote:

why have them in the first place? Again, I'm just curious..

Way back when...before there was MP in the game, Fleets interacted with each other via RP threads. When MP materialized, most of the Fleet interaction moved on to MP matches to include the current Fleet Action. There was still some RP, but it slowly started to become inactive.

Unfortunately, Fleets are a shadow of their former selves with a lot of the people just moving on or whatever. There is still a handful of active people in the Fleets trying to keep it going via Fleet Action, including Ben, Eclipse, Chavik, myself, etc.

-Sho

quote:

By joining in the Fleet Database.

And what purpose would that serve? Would I be in command on a defunct fleet? I fail to comprehend here. What use is applying with the database?

quote:

As of right now...for Fleet Action.

Yet to play in Fleet Action one needs the updated, upgraded version of Universal Combat that the servers will support. For Fleet roleplay one simply needs access to this forum.

Were the fleets intended as an advertising vehicle?

quote:

Way back when...before there was MP in the game, Fleets interacted with each other via RP threads. When MP materialized, most of the Fleet interaction moved on to MP matches to include the current Fleet Action. There was still some RP, but it slowly started to become inactive.

Unfortunately, Fleets are a shadow of their former selves with a lot of the people just moving on or whatever. There is still a handful of active people in the Fleets trying to keep it going via Fleet Action, including Ben, Eclipse, Chavik, myself, etc.

Yes, I remember Blades, Gallion, Chavik, aramike, Desylva, Tac, Rattler, Ben and Shingen.

It just seems to me that these stories were the very reason for fleets in the first place, and once they died, so died the fleets.

Just an observation.

Well, we've just added downloadable offline missions for UC to Fleet Action to allow people with only that version to take part, so it's not really an advertising campaign as such

Considering the NONnotice of such a thing that I recieved from Remo, which means NO attempt to communicate his intentions with me, and considering that he is now NONregistered.

I Consider the above announcment null and void, unless overridden by the SC.

Please disregard until told otherwise by the SC.

quote:

Considering the NONnotice of such a thing that I recieved from Remo, which means NO attempt to communicate his intentions with me, and considering that he is now NONregistered.

I Consider the above announcment null and void, unless overridden by the SC.

I totally concur with this.

We will revert back to the way it was before the initial announcement was made with Jaguar originally being the leader of the Gammulan Fleet unless he decides to officially step down in that capacity.

-Sho

quote:

And what purpose would that serve? Would I be in command on a defunct fleet? I fail to comprehend here. What use is applying with the database?

Because its a requirement to join any offical fleet? You have to register in the database, there is no reason to argue it.

quote:

Yet to play in Fleet Action one needs the updated, upgraded version of Universal Combat that the servers will support. For Fleet roleplay one simply needs access to this forum.

Were the fleets intended as an advertising vehicle?

Thats correct: The SC stated that only the current version of his games have MP, meaning you won't find servers for older versions of UC, just the newer version.

And no, as far as I can tell, fleets were never intended to be an advertising vehicle, as you so put it, they are intended as a place for people to get together and take part in fleet matches or roleplays. There are other use's for fleets, but the other fleet leaders have been in charge of a fleet longer than I have, so they're better at answering that question for you then I am.

And yes I am still very much alive, just been keeping to the shadows

quote:

I totally concur with this.

We will revert back to the way it was before the initial announcement was made with Jaguar originally being the leader of the Gammulan Fleet unless he decides to officially step down in that capacity.

-Sho

Well Sho whatever.. you yourself said that there wasn't any Gammulan Fleet leadership, now there seems to be a wave of obvious mis-directed hostility.

I probably unintentionally opened a can of worms here...

quote:

Originally posted by Kalshion:

Because its a requirement to join any offical fleet? You have to register in the database, there is no reason to argue it.

Please read my above post. I wasn't making an accusation..but asking a question.

What purpose is applying to a database without active fleet leadership? I was informed that THERE WAS NO ACTIVE LEADERSHIP.

quote:

Thats correct: The SC stated that only the current version of his games have MP, meaning you won't find servers for older versions of UC, just the newer version.

And no, as far as I can tell, fleets were never intended to be an advertising vehicle, as you so put it, they are intended as a place for people to get together and take part in fleet matches or roleplays.

Again, please re-read my above post. I simply stated that in order to PARTICIPATE in any sort of Fleet Action scenario, one needed an updated version of the latest UC. Which would completely EXCLUDE anyone with an earlier copy of the same game.

Ben has solved this (at least to UC 2.00.30), but again I WAS JUST ASKING.

I appreciate ur comments, but they seem rather hostile, and I can't fathom why. Perhaps it's just me.

quote:

BC-Vet said:

Well Sho whatever.. you yourself said that there wasn't any Gammulan Fleet leadership, now there seems to be a wave of obvious mis-directed hostility.

Yes, I did say that. My answer was based upon past events in which you were not privvy to. Jaguar has made his statement. Not a problem. Like anyone, I am only human and made a mistake. Point taken and I apologize for the misinformation.

quote:

BC_Vet said:

I was informed that THERE WAS NO ACTIVE LEADERSHIP.

...and I just explained it above.

quote:

BC_Vet said:

Perhaps it's just me.

Or maybe it's just the way you are making (writing) your statements. Sometimes it pays to sit back and re-read what you wrote before you post it to make sure people won't take it the wrong way. Use a bit more tact.

We've all answered your questions in what I think is a satisfactory manner without being hostile.

If you are still interested in joining the Gammulan Fleet, then by all means do so via the Fleet Database and participate in Fleet Action if you crave the MP aspect of it.

If you don't want to, then fine, just quit beating a dead horse.

I'm also available via PM.

-Sho

Anyway.. I'd be happy to join a Gammulan fleet, and participate in regular fleet activities, if there is some sort of active leadership.

If Gammulans have to report to some GalCom leadership, then I ain't interested... as it blows the whole mythos.

If needs be I can provide a domain and website for the fleet.

Thank you, BC_Vet, for asking the questions you did that ended up bringing all these good people out of the woodwork (Hi Remo!). It's exciting to see these discussions again.

I'm not heavily involved right now because I over-comitted in the past and just need a nice long break. But I will try to answer your questions here because I want you to be involved and enjoy your experience with other BC players. You may know some of what I will say, but here's my understanding of the history and the current situation.

An Alliance is the top-most type of player Group in the BC/UC community. Each Alliance, i.e. each combination of race and caste, has been defined in the game itself since the beginning of the series in 1996. In Battlecruiser 3000AD v1, one could only play as a member of Galcom. If that player registered here on the forums, he was considered to be part of the Galactic Command Alliance.

In 1997, Michael Jones (aka Gareth DeSylva) introduced a neat idea of acting out game experiences on the written page; thus RolePlay was born. Soon after, Richard Phariss (aka Rattler) and Alexander Moritz (aka TC McQueen) decided to roleplay as an Insurgent and as a member of Earthcom, respectively. Also around that time, Antti Junkkari formed a splinter group of Commanders from the main Galcom force to be a fast and maneuverable, heavy-hitting strike force - he called it Orion Fleet.

Derek saw how his player community flourished, first through RP and then following the splitting moves of Rattler, McQueen and Junkkari. So he authorized commanders to join the Insurgents and Earthcom and approved the use of a Fleet as an organization under a parent Alliance. Orion Fleet was formed, and the rest of Galcom commanders were organized into either the SDF or Prime Fleet.

Derek later credited DeSylva for his pioneering RP work when he welcomed him onto his Beta team on September 11, 1998.

quote:

Originally posted to GNN by Supreme Cmdr on 09.11.1998 under BC3K Development:

Michael Jones, aka, Cmdr DeSylva, is now an official BC3K tester. Like others before him, Hector, Jon (and over 30 others), Mike is a staunch support of BC3K and has been since 1997. Quite recently, if you've been following events on COMMLINK, you will see that Mike is spearheading a BC3K based RPG that has been the focus of many threads and discussions. Mike and other long term commanders, have also been instrumental in promoting the fleet structures and most recently, thanks to an Insurgent uprising spearheaded by none other than former GALCOM commander, Cmdr Rattler, continue to promote the BC3K world and characters through unique ideas and thoughts that augment my vision of many years ago. These are the heroes of BC3K.

(geez Derek, what did Mark do with the GNN archives? I had to dig for this one.)

Soon, Derek approved the formation of ISS Fleet by DeSylva, Wraith Fleet by Tac and Spectre Fleet by Rattler. TC McQueen and company evidently never got around to creating a Fleet per se in Earthcom. In 2005, Derek disbanded whatever Earthcom Fleet there was and created Vanguard Fleet. The Insurgents split into four Fleets for a few years but have since merged back into Spectre Fleet.

Continuing his tradition of awarding the Fleets community with reasonable freedoms, Derek authorized two Gammulan Military Fleets in 2002, Defense Fleet and Diplomacy Fleet (that's what you now see in Jaguar's signature). Later on, as you know, Remo Williams disbanded these two Fleets and created Hernaor Fleet; he has done this with Derek's blessing. He attempted to replace Jaguar as Fleet Leader because of inactivity on fleet matters but no suitable candidate stepped forward. When you asked who the current Fleet Leader, ShoHashi also thought Jaguar lacked the time and/or interest to lead Hernaor Fleet. When Jag indicated otherwise, Sho corrected himself.

Now through all this, Derek Smart had been not only the Alliance Leader of Galcom, but also care-taker of all the Fleets. It was a lot of work for him to keep us organized and at least partially sane. But sometime in 2004, he decided to delegate the role of Fleets care-taker to Remo Williams. This position passed to ShoHashi in 2006.

Basically, the care-taker guides and regulates the real player side of Fleets and all player Groups. His character exercises no such authority in RolePlay or MultiPlay (can you imagine an Insurgent in charge of the Gammulan Empire?!?). But the author, the real person behind that avatar does. Please get this distinction clear! Because the issue of the Fleets care-taker's RP character ordering other Alliances around came up in 2004 with Remo, and it was not pretty! The real person who Derek appoints, ShoHashi at the moment, exercises some of Derek's authority to govern the player Group community as he, Sho, sees fit - that way Derek doesn't have to commit the time to run the Fleets himself.

Today, the situation is kind of how it was in May 2004 (when MP really got going in earnest), and that's this: Fleets need players. To attract and keep them, Fleets should undertake periodic MP, RP or both, as their members see fit. It's really that simple. If you can't afford the time to play online as much as you would like, that's fine. Really it is! We want you to take part in the action - no matter how sporadic your participation, or our scheduled events may be - because you being there makes it more fun for the rest of us.

quote:

Originally posted by BC_Vet:

Yet to play in Fleet Action one needs the updated, upgraded version of Universal Combat that the servers will support.

No matter what version of UC you have, Ben, Sho and those in on Fleet Action can work something out with you. We've had that particular discussion here on the forums many times before.

Today, out of the possible 200+ Alliances, there are four Fleet Alliances consisting of seven Fleets.

[*]Terran/Military (Galactic Command) Alliance

Prime Fleet

Orion Fleet

ISS Fleet

Wraith Fleet

[*]Terran/Insurgent Alliance (The Insurgents)

Spectre Fleet

[*]Terran/Earthcom (Earth Command) Alliance

Vanguard Fleet

[*]Gammulan/Military Alliance

Hernaor Fleet

This is the history and current situation as I understand it. If I got anything wrong, someone please correct me.

Thank you for reading my rather lengthly reply, BC_Vet. I hope I have answered some of your questions. If not, or if you have more, please ask! Though I personally won't be around that much, we are more than happy to help.

BTW, nice new site layout, boss. Mark did a great job for you.

quote:

Originally posted by Quazar:

Today, the situation is kind of how it was in May 2004 (when MP really got going in earnest), and that's this: Fleets need players. To attract and keep them, Fleets should undertake periodic MP, RP or both, as their members see fit. It's really that simple. If you can't afford the time to play online as much as you would like, that's fine. Really it is! [smile] We want you to take part in the action - no matter how sporadic your participation, or our scheduled events may be - because you being there makes it more fun for the rest of us.

Why isn't there any mention the the indie fleet started by Shingen? I've read most of the indie forum and why aren't they also part of the fleet history?

It seems he was able to to enlist the same amount of members as the rest...and were active within Fleet MP more then most, but no mention of "TDH".

True there was some sort of conflict between parties, but does that negate the history?

No, I'm not trolling..just asking.

However, in the final assessment, I would have to conclude that there is no active Gammulan leadership.

Chavik, Sho, u need anyone in your fleet? I'd rather be indie or Gammulan, but there isn't much point.

Thank u all for you replies.

Knowledge is Power.

quote:

Why isn't there any mention the the indie fleet

I just forgot to include it. My apologies. In a special case in 2004, Derek permitted players of the non-militaristic Terran/Raider Alliance to play on his Fleet-only MP servers through membership in TDH Raider Fleet. He revoked that permission later that year and disbanded TDH after its members had disagreed at length with the views of some members of other Fleets. I do not care to revisit what they discussed, but TDH did show promise.

quote:

True there was some sort of conflict between parties, but does that negate the history?

No, the presence of conflict does not negate the history.

The TDH showed promise as BC organization IMO.

I also really liked the premise of Intercorp, but we're really going off topic here LOL!

Maybe someone could start a new topic in the Indies forums to discuss the history of these two groups, or maybe not.