Gammulan Stormcarrier dances circles lol.

Guest Melanie650

Guest Melanie650

Lol I was experimenting with all the different stuff you can do on the game and one day I forgot to buy Radine and my refused to go hyper. Luckly i had a shuttle flying around and I ordered it to tow me around so I could find the nearest star station. LOL I've never seen my stormcarrier move so fast.

[ 11-24-2001: Message edited by: Melanie650 ]

I always use shuttles to bring me around, if I need to be somewhere fast.

Taking off from Ronus IV (Trenis), as a Stormcarrier, I had my shuttle carry me, and I went over to Darain to jump into Fluxfield 7. I make it to the supernova I wanted, and jumped into Fluxfield 2, to Mars. Then, I went over to Earth and captured GalcomHQ and destroyed Genesis. All before 13:25 game time!

If the Gammulan empire ever wants to take over the human race, I think they'll use a combo of towing shuttles and those fluxfields I just described. I'm guessing Prime Fleet will be watching that Mars fluxfield a lot more now.

*evil grin*

But actually, I've been trying the same thing, in reverse. Trying to find the quickest way from GalCom territory to the Gammulan quadrant. It's just a lot harder. The flux fields and such in the Gammulan quad are only connected to other systems in the Gamm quad. (Except that one to the Syrion area.)

I believe that flux fields could be a valuable thing to use. The only downside being that you have to use caution to Flux Fields that have paths leading to black holes.......

And I think having probes inside the supernova of the Flux Field outside Mars, along with minefields there could help with that Gammulan problem. The only other basic security problem I've had contact with is the New America station. Just next door to Orion Fleet's territory........

[ 11-24-2001: Message edited by: Cmdr Nova ]

Well, Mars is joint Earth Command / Prime Fleet territory, but I guess the Flux Field is part of more than one region and so may fall under the jurisdiction of the ISS.

Pegasus Fleet! Front and center! Mine and probe that flux field! *grin*.

-GD

Guest [PCA]Pheonix

quote:

Originally posted by Ben Somerset:

I don't think anyone in GalCom wants that. Giving the Gamms ideas like that won't help us at all. Someone ought to give you a reprimand!

The second part of your name is the county which I'm in in England

The weight has nothing to do in space, mass does, and acceleration. Even if a shuttle is small but has a whole lot of thrust, towing a more massive object, he will accelerate slower but then can shut off it's engine and make small course corrections when needed. So running out of juice faster when towing a bigger ship, not necessarily true, but if you hyperjump a lot then yeah.

[ 11-26-2001: Message edited by: Soback ]

quote:

Originally posted by [PCA]Pheonix:

The second part of your name is the county which I'm in in England

Somerset County? I've always wondered where exactly in England that was... I also wonder what book I read that gave me the last name. Or what made me decide to make Somerset British. Perhaps it's because Benjamin Arthur Somerset sounds imminently British. ;-)

quote:

Originally posted by Soback:

[QB]The weight has nothing to do in space, mass does, and acceleration. Even if a shuttle is small but has a whole lot of thrust, towing a more massive object, he will accelerate slower but then can shut off it's engine and make small course corrections when needed. So running out of juice faster when towing a bigger ship, not necessarily true, but if you hyperjump a lot then yeah.

[QB]

Well...not quite sure how BCM sublight drives work. If they are reaction drives (i.e. throw stuff out the back to go forward), the shuttle/Stormcarrier combo would possess *much* less acceleration due to the fact that the same Drive was pushing approximately 4 million times the mass around (assume Stormcarrier and MkI shuttle are boxes with Appendix dimensions and approximately the same density). Also, a given load of fuel, ejected from a mass at a given speed imparts a given amount of momentum. If you raise the mass, then the acheiveable velocity changes goes down.

Of course, BCM looks like it uses some form of inertialess or near inertialess propulsion. I dunno. I don't really care.

Either way, I wouldn't want to be that shuttle pilot:

Captain verrrry quietly) "Pilot?"

Pilot:"Yessir!"

Captain:"Look behind you."

Pilot:"Aye sir!"

Captain:"Do you know what that huge black void that looks big enough to swallow your ship is?"

Pilot:"Yessir, the barrel of main gun number 4, sir!"

Captain:"GOOD! NOW GET ME THE $*&^!$#*&! TO EARTHSPACE, I HAVE A PLANET TO INCINERATE!!"

Pilot:"AYE SIR" (diverting power from shields, weapons and life support to the engines)

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr Nova:

[QB]Hehe, and just noticed--there's a black hole connected to Fluxfield 2. Check your Nav Chart in the Appendix.QB]

Correct, there are only six "safe" flux fields and two of those are in Vega Eridani. You're just lucky that BH-02 wasn't hungry.

quote:

Originally posted by Melanie650:

Luckly i had a shuttle flying around and I ordered it to tow me around so I could find the nearest star station.

[ 11-24-2001: Message edited by: Melanie650 ]

I think that somehow detracts from the game. It's reasonable that all ships can be towed to port if damaged, but it seems stupid a shuttle can tow a carrier faster than it can move under it's own power.

It's true what someone said: we risk seeing Gammulans deploying fleets towed by shuttles. Am I the only one who think that's strange?

No, not really. It's not strange... But I really don't think anyone would launch a full-scale attack with shuttles as the front-end. Now that would be strange (and funny).

And anyway, if they're towing, they've got shields down. If they've got shields down, then they're twice as easy to kill!

[ 12-05-2001: Message edited by: Cmdr Nova ]

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr Nova:

And anyway, if they're towing, they've got shields down. If they've got shields down, then they're twice as easy to kill!

But only the shuttle's shields are down. The two craft's shields are still quite functional (assuming the craft is not disabled or course). There is one disadvantage to towing your own CC though, I have yet to find a way to order the shuttle to disengage the tractor beam without being on the shuttle myself. Hard to fight an effective battle when you aren't in the cmdr's chair.

quote:

Originally posted by Count_Sessine:

I think that somehow detracts from the game. It's reasonable that all ships can be towed to port if damaged, but it seems stupid a shuttle can tow a carrier faster than it can move under it's own power.

Don't worry, I already have plans to block this exploit.

[ 12-05-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

Originally posted by Tyrn:

There is one disadvantage to towing your own CC though, I have yet to find a way to order the shuttle to disengage the tractor beam without being on the shuttle myself. Hard to fight an effective battle when you aren't in the cmdr's chair.

The TOW/NONE order works for that.

I hope the block to that workaround is to slow down the shuttle proportionate to the mass of the ship its towing. The bigger it is the slower it will go. Would be fun to cross your fingers and hope nothing attacks you as the shuttle tows your supercarrier at 400kph

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Don't worry, I already have plans to block this exploit.

[ 12-05-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

NOW he tells us...my entire battle plan is ruined!

Commander Wilco: What? He fixed that ALREADY? Pilot, turn us around...we're heading back to Earth...