killing pesky SF marines

Meldan

If you are playing as a commander, is there any way that you can kill SF marines in space?

I tried getting close and using PTA. I tried sending FC out with several different orders (SAD, CAP, attack specific target, etc) with no results. The FC just stop and don't move.

Any one have any luck getting these guys?

Send your AE in a fighter (assuming you have one), then launch, lock a marine and MATCH SPEED with him. Then use thrusters to shorten the range. When the range is ~0.15-0.10, stop the A/B and start shooting.

I have done this numerous times, and it works.

IOD? Somehow my CC guns aren't aligned for such close range and miss all the time at such close range and with such small a target. Unless of course you are talking about fighters (are the fighter guns also called IOD?).

Missiles: Yes, they work nicely but why spend 2.5K (or more) on a lousy SM?

I tried getting these pesky guys last night. Hoped into a fighter and tried to shoot him for about 30 minutes. I finally shot one with a missile, got him to stop moving and was able to get close enough (.06 km) to blast him. Didn't get any EP though, dont know why.

I shot about 6 missiles at another SF marine and never hit him.

I think most of my problem is that I am using the keyboard. I'm hoping that a joystick will make things easier. If your target is 1/4" away from your aiming point, it is really hard to get dead on it the smallest increment you can move the aim point is 1/2"

I just jump in a fighter and get close and poke holes in their suits with my lasers!!! HAHAHAHHA! Shooting gallery!!! Run you little white bastards!!!! *zap* Take that!! *zap* AHAHAHHAHA! *zap* oops... one of mine... oh well.. *zap zap zap* BWHAHAHAHA!

Missiles work well. Too much is always better than not enough!

I think it's a shame they can't be towed. Not so much because that would allow an alternate way of clearing up the sector after the dangerous things are gone (and I'd be amused to see what GalCom would pay for towed-and-delivered enemy marines. 1 credit?), but for the main benefit of being able to alt-E, order your own shuttle to tow you, and go vacuum-surfing.

I tried to kill a SF Marine with my Cruiser once, and kept thinking if he could see me coming, and in his little viewer see that a huge damned mothership was coming to destroy little ol' HIM hahaha. Perhaps only then did he know what it meant to be hated... haha...

...ahem.. and I did say ONCE... I use fighters and missles now and sometimes just hop out myself and get the chumps.

[ 12-08-2001: Message edited by: Blerm ]