The Galaxian Probe

Pyromaniac

I have a little question for you all. I have read through most of the forums about the crashed probe on obsidia, it made me curious and I went there. I found it with ease and went down in my SC to look at it and test the mineral composition of the planet. When I found it, I got out in my OC (thank god not just my AE, I just read that you die! ). OK, I drive up to the probe and don't see anything strange, so I shoot at it. The bugger blows up in one shot and still, nothing happens. I get back to my shuttle and go back to the CC. I then make my way to Stargazer. It's really funny how much traffic is there considering it's remote location. I once again take my SC down to the mission zone to again check out the minerals and too see whats up with the mission zone. Aparently nothing( so I think). Back at the CC, I go to tacops to observe the planet, and I see something really wierd...Under MY probe panel in tacops, it was flashing SUL over and over . It may have happened because of the probe on obsidia, but I don't know.

Does anybody know what SUL is, and what is in the "empty" mission zone on Stargazer? I gonna check it out a little more tonight, I really want to find the secret behind all this.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An SC?

How is it that an insignificant little shuttlecraft can descend into the Hades that is Stargazer and survive, unscathed, while my fully upgraded Warmonger, shields at full strength, quickly succumbs to the atmosphere and dissolves like a sugar cube in hot tea?

Could it be there are powers at work here beyond the norm? Powers that allow an undefended shuttle access to Stargazer whilst a fully armed super cruiser disintegrates without mercy?

I don't suppose it would be a good idea to try and use the shuttle's tractor beam, though.

quote:

Originally posted by Marvin:

An SC?

How is it that an insignificant little shuttlecraft can descend into the Hades that is Stargazer and survive, unscathed, while my fully upgraded Warmonger, shields at full strength, quickly succumbs to the atmosphere and dissolves like a sugar cube in hot tea?

Could it be there are powers at work here beyond the norm? Powers that allow an undefended shuttle access to Stargazer whilst a fully armed super cruiser disintegrates without mercy?

I don't suppose it would be a good idea to try and use the shuttle's tractor beam, though.

Yup. Shuttles and OCs are made of sterner stuff than CCs it would seem. When I tried planetfall in my CC I noticed lightning flashes across the hull as I took damage. Maybe it's got something to do with size. A smaller ship can get in, whereas the larger one is going to get beat to death by the planets energy field.

Of course, before I did anything I beamed a cargo pod down and it was unhurt. Then I beamed down a prisoner. He expired. I deturmined that it would be a bad thing to get out of one's ship.

Unfortunately the probe is not a valid tractor target. And it is not a cargo pod so it cannot be collected.

Hmmm Friction? I mean the bigger the object the more Friction it cause's that MIGHT be why CC's can't go into the atmosphere cause its to large and disrupts whatever is in the atmosphere causeing the ship to take damage

Where as a smaller ship, Shuttlecraft, doesn't cause that much friction.. there for it doesn't take damage

quote:

Originally posted by Kalshion:

Hmmm Friction? I mean the bigger the object the more Friction it cause's that MIGHT be why CC's can't go into the atmosphere cause its to large and disrupts whatever is in the atmosphere causeing the ship to take damage

Where as a smaller ship, Shuttlecraft, doesn't cause that much friction.. there for it doesn't take damage

Good guess but wrong...try taking in a fighter.

quote:

don't discredit something unless you try it. Same goes for the fighter

But like I was about to say.. its a Scientific Guess

Don't assume I haven't tried something...and since no one seems to take the hint:

Fighters won't survive on Obsidia.

Let's see:

1. Armed ships (not vehicles, ships) can't survive, even fighters. That throws out friction.

2. No ship larger than a shuttle can survive (unarmed transports are also destroyed). Which throws out the idea that only armed ships are destroyed.

Conclusion: The Galaxians do not want any armed ships on Obsidia and they don't want to be over run by colony ships. Further, they have the technology to enforce this desire by destroying any ships that violate these criteria on planetfall.

[ 07-01-2003, 10:02 AM: Message edited by: Tyrn ]

And, oddly enough, they hate commanders. That prisoner I beamed down? I didn't look closely enough. He didn't expire. He went prone. He is still alive and well.

So I sent down Resnig to take a look. I mean, if he dies in a hideous corrosive atmosphere big deal, right?

He's standing there with his thumb up his nose looking at the probe.

I sent down a pilot, a syseng, a flteng, a marine, and a medic. They're all having a conversation in a little circle around the probe!

So it must be safe!!!!

Nope. I beam down and die instantly with the rumble of thunder.

"Don't stand there gawping like you've never seen the hand 'o God before!"

Well... Thank the Maker for saved games.

quote:

Rubbish

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

quote:

Rubbish

quote:

Originally posted by Sir John Falstaff:

And, oddly enough, they hate commanders. That prisoner I beamed down? I didn't look closely enough. He didn't expire. He went prone. He is still alive and well.

So I sent down Resnig to take a look. I mean, if he dies in a hideous corrosive atmosphere big deal, right?

He's standing there with his thumb up his nose looking at the probe.

I sent down a pilot, a syseng, a flteng, a marine, and a medic. They're all having a conversation in a little circle around the probe!

So it must be safe!!!!

Nope. I beam down and die instantly with the rumble of thunder.

"Don't stand there gawping like you've never seen the hand 'o God before!"

Well... Thank the Maker for saved games.

There is a very good reason for that. Hence the mystery of the Galaxians.

Another mystery....

Why a Galaxian Probe on a planet owned by the Galaxians? It is my theory that the probe came from the wormhole and crashed on Obsidia. It is a hint that there are Galaxians on the other side of the wormhole and they are scoping out a region unknown to them. Hostile or friendly? Dunno, but they seem to fry anything armed or in command and they are unseen.

Cloaked ODS with "hand 'o God" technology? Who knows. Someday I'm going to have a transmatrix cloaking device and come back to take another look. Until then it's back to blowing up Gammulans and Valkeries.

• 3 months later...

Well..... very interesting topic to me... but I have a question..... the probe is there in ACM mode too..?

I've finished my campaign and then I went to OBSIDIA and STARGAZER to have a look to that probe..... I scanned both planet but can't find a trace of a probe..... only find a place called UTOPIA small enough to be covered by a marine's feet.......anyone can clarify my ideas..?

Thanks $iLk but I already found that stuff..... very interesting indeed ......but I cannot find the probe at that coordinates ....... right now I'm returning to OBSIDIA to try a different way of searching.......

Bye....

quote:

take into consideration that it could not only be friction, but since the shuttles and ocs are smaller, they can take a bigger beating.

as was the case when some suit stain wanted to restore a p-38, these guys went searching for a squad of the aforementioned plane and b-17s that crashed in some frozen hellhole. they found a b-17 that was so fubar, it was deemed scrap-metal. but later the found a p-38 that was restorable.

quote:

take into consideration that it could not only be friction, but since the shuttles and ocs are smaller, they can take a bigger beating.

as was the case when some suit stain wanted to restore a p-38, these guys went searching for a squad of the aforementioned plane and b-17s that crashed in some frozen hellhole. they found a b-17 that was so fubar, it was deemed scrap-metal. but later the found a p-38 that was restorable.

Well--if memory serves me correctly, most shuttles and oc's don't have shields.

Guess what? Capital ships and fighters do!

So next time you visit the planet, try taking down your shields before making planetfall. I dunno if it will work but it makes sense... I mean, galaxians are all energy or some crap like that and so are your shields. It could be something wierd like the atmospheric composition that sorta overloads your shields and causes massive internal damage to your ship!

Man, I bet I hit the nail right on the head! Am I good or am I good?

quote:

Originally posted by Carl Burning:

Well--if memory serves me correctly, most shuttles and oc's don't have shields.

im fairly sure SC have shields. at least all the ones iv used have had them

• 2 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by dennymala:

Thanks $iLk but I already found that stuff..... very interesting indeed ......but I cannot find the probe at that coordinates ....... right now I'm returning to OBSIDIA to try a different way of searching.......

Bye....

FINDED NOTHING!!!!! Seems like in my game the probe never existed.... ...or someone took it off before I could investigate......

I gotta find some ass to kick!!!!!

• 3 months later...