Avoid this mistake

Darkling

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Took me a while to figure this one out too. Basically the first thing you gotta do is look in the glossary HTML file that comes with the game, and determine what upgrades your particular ship takes. Print it or write it down (Cuz at least I cant alt-tab from the game).

Then you gotta buy the next upgrade up from what your using.. you cant skip right to the top upgrade. Once youve purchased the upgrade, leave the space station and go into your Logistix screen. Then select your CC, go thru the decks until you find the system your gonna upgrade. click on it and the "upgrade" button should be highlighted. Click it, and assign techs to do the swap. the more techs assigned, the faster it'l happen. Since its usually a slow process, i usually fly right back to the station and have the stations techs help as well. I dont understand why you cant do it right from the station when you buy it, without leaving.... if you can, i dunno how.

Anyway, the part will be swapped immediately.. and basically will start as though its damaged, down to 50% and what theyre doing is essentially repairing it back upto 100%.

Hope this helps.

quote:

Originally posted by Meneliki:

... you cant skip right to the top upgrade.

I've always just skipped right down to the top upgrade, at least when I've played in the FireStorm, you sure this is correct?

It's not correct, you can skip to the top upgrade straight away (as long as you have the cash to buy it), just some craft (e.g. transports) cannot use the top of the line upgrades at all and others can't use the artifact system upgrades (only heavy carriers can use artifact upgrades- super carriers, cruisers and transports can't (see the upgrades page in the manual appendix for details))

Ummmm

How to upgrade your ship is printed in that nice little book that came with your program.

It's called a manual, it explains everything you need to know about the game....

quote:

Originally posted by Darkling:

quote:

I've always just skipped right down to the top upgrade, at least when I've played in the FireStorm, you sure this is correct?

Actually yeah, I just noticed that I can do it now too. I seem to remember trying it before (maybe with the original UC) and it not working. Oh well, that's good news.

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Darkling:

quote:

Actually yeah, I just noticed that I can do it now too. I seem to remember trying it before (maybe with the original UC) and it not working. Oh well, that's good news.
I don't know what game you've been playing but, you could install the top upgrades in every iteration of the BC series.

• 10 months later...

quote:

Originally posted by Ben Zwycky:

...only heavy carriers can use artifact upgrades...

How? I've never had anyone with the AI levels, etc. needed to use 'em. When I get one, I just sell it off and I'm done with it.

If your Research Engineer is high enough AI, then she will be able to analyse the artifact and install it, though this isn't necessary with some artifacts (see the artifacts page in the game appendix for details) with the Tacyon Anagram Shield and Karanian Mark IV reactor, you just install them as you would any other reactor or shield upgrade.