Capturing Stations with Cruisers

Moonbrooke

Ok, I've heard it said that it IS possible to capture a star station with a cruiser, if you can get in it's "blind spot". My question is, what's the proper tecnique to even get CLOSE to the station to reach the blind spot? It starts firing LONG before I am in range, and I'm dead in seconds. Any suggestions?

Guest Shingen

The best way is to get Fleet C&C for your race/caste, amass a fleet of fighters, cruisers and shuttles, then have that fleet divert attention away from you, as you jump in and fly inside the stations firing arcs.

Every station is different, so you'll need to spend alot of time observing that stations in F10 mode (or in tacops) to see where the firing arcs are, and where blindspots are.

It's not easy to take a station in a cruiser. It takes alot of planning, strategy and good tactics.

Guest Shingen

When you form your fleet, you want to go heavy on fighters and shuttles because if you use alot of cruisers/carriers, their PTAs may destroy the station when you bring down the station's shields/armor enough for it to go SOS.

Create a save right before your engage the station, that way if the station is destroyed, you can reload and try again.

Also, you'll have to use the HOLD command in Tacops, to stop time and coordinate your forces.

• 2 weeks later...

I capture stations by loading up with STS missiles, cloaking and blast away. Keep an eye on the armour status of the station, as it gets low turn off your PTA system. It should the emit an SOS signal. And then you dock and capture it. Load up with radiation cntrl units at least one for each deck because you could be cloaked for a while, causing decks to be iradiated.

• 1 month later...

quote:

Originally posted by Ditto00:

Moonbrooke, you might want to be careful about requesting tips in this forum. It is a direct violation of the rules... not that I am a moderator, I just don't like it when SC gets mad because it sometimes carries over into other threads.

Is there a better forum to request a tip than the "Tips, Tricks & Techniques" forum?

Besides, this thread is 2 months old. If it was misplaced, it would have been moved, oh, about 2 months ago.

quote:

Originally posted by Ditto00:

Moonbrooke, you might want to be careful about requesting tips in this forum. It is a direct violation of the rules... not that I am a moderator, I just don't like it when SC gets mad because it sometimes carries over into other threads.

I've just deleted one of your threads. Please refrain from posting rubbish and awakening dead topics.

• 1 year later...

quote:

Originally posted by Moonbrooke:

Ok, I've heard it said that it IS possible to capture a star station with a cruiser, if you can get in it's "blind spot". My question is, what's the proper tecnique to even get CLOSE to the station to reach the blind spot? It starts firing LONG before I am in range, and I'm dead in seconds. Any suggestions?

I do it with a cruiser quite a bit. I just hyperjump to the supply station, and fly as fast as i can, right *into* the station, out of it's arcs. Usually my shield holds long enuf for me to get in there. But some stations have either really powerfull turrets or just alot of them and your usually dead before your even outta hyperspace. For those, you gotta hyperjump around and come at them from a different angle.

quote:

Originally posted by Meneliki:

What's the proper tecnique to even get CLOSE to the station to reach the blind spot? It starts firing LONG before I am in range, and I'm dead in seconds. Any suggestions?

First of all, you have to remember to think in 3D, and you have to experiment to find the blind spots. Keep in mind that there are different stations with different weaknesses.

quote:

Originally posted by Cruis.In:

cruisers need cloak... i want a petition.

There's already one in the game, it's the Carrier called "Violin", Max speed of 485, it's only a bit slower than a Cruiser and the HJ Transit time is only 75.

quote:

Originally posted by Cruis.In:

oh, that stinks for cruisers, a carrier WITH CLOAK, and its as fast as a cruiser...

cruisers are worthless.

Not necessarily, you DO Still have quite a bit of an advantage in a Cruiser VS a Carrier. For example, some cruisers have more Armor than some Carriers (Garid 5000 VS Violin 3500) In addition, Max range on the guns is further in the Cruisers than Carriers, plus since the cruiser is faster, you can keep it maneuvered out of range of the Carrier. Also some cruisers, like the Questnar, have 10 PTA's to keep any support craft the cruiser launches in check. Also the Firing Rate on the Cruisers is about Double on Average over the Carriers. Also, keep in mind that the Cruisers are going to be more "Fuel Efficient" than the Carriers, nothing's worse than running out of Gas in the middle of space. I've found that almost every ship in the fleet has certain advantages and disadvantages, and you just need to figure out what is the best ship for the scenario and move forward from there.

• 10 months later...

Good blind spot...First cloack far away from the station, then HJ to the supply station(you'll end up much closer to the station than jumping to the station, then manuver into the workings of the station, extamples: holes!! this way the guns wont get you and the fight will have a hard time getting to you, then declock and weaken it then turn your PTA off when it get close to SOS then capture