New Products Announcement

Supreme Cmdr

Wow! this is great, great news!!! You should have kept it to only one or a few available assets ages ago SC. Who knows, we may have had first person ship exploration by this time.

It's great about these new 300ad titles too!!

Hmmmm... one MAIN concern though Mr. Smart.

Since these titles are going to be based somewhat to that of the Battlecruiser universe, does that also mean that all assets are going to be shared with every race/caste like in your previous titles. In those games, every race had the same asset as one another and everything was shared. Because of this, the universe didn't have any real alien identity (besides from the text names). Why was there even a need to have alien races if they were not going to be recognized or modeled, why not just have the insurgents as the opposing force for the player? It would've made more sense that way. Having the personnel models and assets for every race identical, made those titles have no real sense of mixture in this regard. Every time I would see two similar ships, of separate races, fighting against one another I always felt that it was a bit unusual. One would expect an alien race to have alien like technologies and appearances, Terrain and Gammulan would not be the same. It makes the universe more exotic to have Alien diversity and I think BC universe really suffered without it throughout these years.

So I'm wondering, will this area be changed for these future titles? Will there be specific alien asset groups, or will things stay anonymous and blank as usual?

I hope you reply sir, because I feel this is something that badly needs to be addressed.

And thank you for the great news!!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Fox__Trot

*Generic complaint about signature being removed here*

Okay... anyways ... UC:E2E is going to be a far more action oriented game then UC was ... at least thatÔÇÖs how it sounds - are we talking KB game play or BC game play (Mission VS Sandbox)

Also with the huge downsizing with E2E are planet zones getting downsized as well? Because right now with the smaller universe if e2e should have Planetside size "islands" and not have the MASSIVE planets from BC - just curious on that

And lastly just 64 player battles? Are these going to be 64 individuals controlling ONLY themselves or will it be 64 individuals controlling there own squad/fleet/armada/forces?

And you said, "You get damaged, another player (an engineer class marine) can repair your craft/vehicle for you" like tribes? And will this primarily be an online game with "training" offline or will it have both an offline and online feature set...

And lastly - when I first heard the name "Universal Combat" it made me think of a real time strategy game - any chance you'll ever make one of those? *evil grin*

Okay thatÔÇÖs all.

These release's sound very exciting but I can't help being sad that a 'true' BC title appears to be on the backburner now.

Quote;

'UCE2E is a whole new type of game for a different breed of gamer. The ultimate goal is to spin off this new Universal Combat brand into its own action based franchise and detach it completely from the niche hard core Battlecruiser brand'

I know you'll sprinkle some 'Smart magic' into these titles. I'll no doubt buy them both, and most likely enjoy them.. but that statement sounds like it's aimed at someone else.. I like niche

Either way, I hope they go well.. and I still have UC.. which I could play until I'd drunk all the tea in China

quote:

Originally posted by DeepFreeze:

c...cant breathe.

when are you gonna start posting some E2E shots?

Sometime in May I think. Nick's (the new guy I hired) not going to be finished with the new graphics engine updates until around April. Then I have to implement it etc. Which is when I get to take shots and all that.

I really hope that KB will also be for PC. I read at the bottom of that press release that it is likely that a PC release will follow the XBOX release.

When i read that it was an XBOX game i was about to go jump off a cliff. But i just realized that it may be easier to just buy an XBOX....

I am just about speechless! 2 games! WOW! Allthough I don't play just regular FPS like battlefield, and UT2k hardly at all I will get those games for PC when they come out! Really complex games like UC are just my thing. But SC makes the best games of all time so I will get those games for shure!

On the other side, I hope the next battlecruiser title can support alot of this stuff combined into one massive game. In a few more years computers will get much better, they always do. Now as for the next battlecruiser only having 1 CC that you can use is gonna make cry......It's just the way the BC games feel because you can fly any kind of craft you want from the start (Even if you can't get anywhere or do anything). The other craft don't need interior, just so long as they are chooseable (ya know, ya know? ).

Anyway, back on topic, I cannot wait for these games! One more thing.....about UC:E2E, I just can't imagine there not being any cruisers, carriers, or otherwise. It just kinda makes space feel a litttle more empty. But then again....this is not a BC game. Owwwww! The agony of waiting!

I better shut up now....If I don't I will just keep going, and going, and going, and going, and going, and..........

quote:

For example, deploying on an away mission with a team of carrier based marines without the combat officer, results in low morale and largely ineffective combat tactics by the marines - all of which could possibly lead to a botched mission.

Does this mean that Resnig either finally went to combat school or he died in an unfortunate airlock mishap? Effective tactics are foreign to his vocabulary, low morale is his middle name, and a botched mission happens every time he's on station.

In KB the shuttle cockpits and interior are ...amazing, incredible,... .It┬┤s just a kind of game that i love. I hope thats game really have a PC version, after XB release, and maybe with some enhances that XB version don┬┤t permit.

I don┬┤t know how to say that KB shot are impressive . How much i see the KB shot┬┤s (with more attention) more i love and wait for this game. The bridge, ammunition room, the shuttle bays, the shuttle and figthers, transporter room, the entire ship structures and panels details ..... Man i need to belong to the ships crew !!!! I just can wait for walk inside this !!!! .

[ 03-10-2004, 07:35 AM: Message edited by: almostpilot ]

quote:

Originally posted by JCMan:

Now as for the next battlecruiser only having 1 CC that you can use is gonna make cry......

Well, he could always add an expansion that gives us access to other ships.. or you could just keep playing UC

I think this is a great idea. First, nothing wrong with diversifying your products to help the company out. Taking the Universal Combat franchise into a more action-y direction seems like the perfect thing to do. Sounds sort of like Planetside, maybe a little Operation Flashpoint in space?

Going the console route is always a good bet for a game company if you want to simply consider the financial bottom line.

I also wish you luck with the new BC game. I'm interested to see how it develops with its renewed focus.

quote:

Originally posted by TheBunny:

When i read that it was an XBOX game i was about to go jump off a cliff. But i just realized that it may be easier to just buy an XBOX....

LOL!!!

quote:

Originally posted by Ben Somerset:

quote:

For example, deploying on an away mission with a team of carrier based marines without the combat officer, results in low morale and largely ineffective combat tactics by the marines - all of which could possibly lead to a botched mission.

Does this mean that Resnig either finally went to combat school or he died in an unfortunate airlock mishap? Effective tactics are foreign to his vocabulary, low morale is his middle name, and a botched mission happens every time he's on station.

No comment. Just wait and see. In fact, I'm not even sure that Resnig is part of the KnightBlade crew.

quote:

Originally posted by JCMan:

One more thing.....about UC:E2E, I just can't imagine there not being any cruisers, carriers, or otherwise. It just kinda makes space feel a litttle more empty.

Its not that kind of game. In case you hadn't noticed, the commander career is where ALL the complexities of the BC games are.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

quote:

Originally posted by Extinct_Reptilia:

...one MAIN concern though Mr. Smart.

Since these titles are going to be based somewhat to that of the Battlecruiser universe, does that also mean that all assets are going to be shared with every race/caste like in your previous titles. In those games, every race had the same asset as one another and everything was shared. Because of this, the universe didn't have any real alien identity (besides from the text names). Why was there even a need to have alien races if they were not going to be recognized or modeled, why not just have the insurgents as the opposing force for the player? It would've made more sense that way. Having the personnel models and assets for every race identical, made those titles have no real sense of mixture in this regard. Every time I would see two similar ships, of separate races, fighting against one another I always felt that it was a bit unusual. One would expect an alien race to have alien like technologies and appearances, Terrain and Gammulan would not be the same. It makes the universe more exotic to have Alien diversity and I think BC universe really suffered without it throughout these years.

So I'm wondering, will this area be changed for these future titles? Will there be specific alien asset groups, or will things stay anonymous and blank as usual?

...I feel this is something that badly needs to be addressed.

No it doesn't. And its not going to be.

Oh man! damn... You could at least have different textures for each model/asset in the game to seperate the races from one another!?

Is this just something hard to do in general sir?

Wow, Kinghtblade is going to be on Xbox!!?! I don?t use my Xbox much... But I will now!!! Sweet!!!!

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

Is Knightblade the first actual story based game Derek has done??? I dont know much about his pre-3000ad life...

Knightblade sounds like it has a well structured story to it...

I hope it does well!!

quote:

No comment. Just wait and see. In fact, I'm not even sure that Resnig is part of the KnightBlade crew.

I just had a funny thought. Picture this as the opening movie of KB. You are on a shuttle heading to a combat zone. Your character is looking straight ahead, and the guy next to you is talking your ear off about how important it is to cover your buddy to survive the upcoming mission, blah blah blah. You turn to your right and there is your buddy, smiling, wearing a "Resnig" patch on his uniform.

Of course, only BC/UC gamers would get it. heh

OH-MY-GOD. SC, I had NO IDEA that the interiors would have so much DETAIL. With some lighting that will look REAL. I really hope you DO decide to apply damage maps to damaged ships... it dosnt have to be anything extravagant (No modified geometry is needed). Some exploding consoles, billowing steam/smoke, emergency/red alert lighting... and replace some textures with damaged ones. Bada-BING you're in an episode of Star Trek. I have a feeling that KnightBlade is going to be everything that Bridge Commander never even imagined it could be. Thank you SC for continually making my dreams come true.

Oh yeah, and pl-pl-pl-pl-pleeeeasee give us some dialogue options. I want to at least have some remote chance that I can be diplomatic talk my way out of a situation or two.

Both sound excellent,

As for Resnig in not being your CO , I'm guessing that he is going to be the guy who led the group you have to rescue

as for E2E will there be NPC troops in multiplayer for larger battles ?

can't wait to see more of both

Very cool indeed! I do have an XBOX but I would probably rather play these on PC.

From reading the KB description it sounds a hell of a lot like System Shock 2, which was a great and freaky game. From looking at the screenies it looks a hell of a lot like Star Trek, which is also great.

I'm curious to know if SC was inspired at all by Star Trek in the making of any of his titles...

In any case, both of these should be great fun!