BCG - Reality Check

Supreme Cmdr

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Sebbish:

How about putting in a giant 40 foot robot with lazor cannons. And letting use swords like in (insert anime show name here)! When will BCG be out? Can you get a demo out by this Friday?

No! Now, siddown!

quote:

Originally posted by TheBunny:

Now to find the disk I should check the relese dates to see if i should buy another BCM of wait for BCM gold or BCG.

and when i do find the disk im going to launch a OTS missle and then beam to itys location to see what the animation looks like.

BCM Gold went Gold yesterday and should be hitting the streets around the end of the month to first week April. The DC folks should be making the announcement sometime this week I think.

So, if you're going to buy another copy, wait for BCM Gold.

BCG is a good six months off. All things being equal.

The only game that comes to mind with an exploding planet that I have was named Anachronox, very fun RPG built on the Quake 2 Engine, but the planet in it was torn apart from the inside out, explosions all around for a few minutes until the planet was split in 2 by the bombardment of the enemy's first strike (at least I think it was the first). Wonderfully slow, realistic, and absolutely amazing, especially for it being ingame on a Q2 engine(pretty much the only reason it is amazing, not by todays standards of course).

Nevertheless, I agree with SC that there should be no planet killers in the game, given enough time the universe could be wiped out on a dedicated server giving nothing to play for, so in my opinion it is perfect, don't change a thing about the RANDOM

I like the dessicator effect from dark reign .. weapon engineered to cause fission to every atom of water on a planet in a cumulative effect, the energy produced being strong enough to bulldoze landscapes and make a barren, inospitable planet.

From orbit you see a large shockwave of fire burning the whole planet in mere seconds. Awesome.

If only I had the video somewhere ... dark reign single-player intro video.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

BCM Gold went Gold yesterday and should be hitting the streets around the end of the month to first week April. The DC folks should be making the announcement sometime this week I think.

So, if you're going to buy another copy, wait for BCM Gold.

BCG is a good six months off. All things being equal.

Great, that was quick! Not to mention a minimum of 6 months fo BCG is nothing. Does time fly?

• 4 weeks later...

Forgive me for digging this one outta the back of the fridge but this topic is one I was eyeballing ever since SC started it. I have only one gameplay feature or enhancement I would like to see in BCG...and that would be the elaboration and freedom of "piracy". Of course piracy is a broad term but more specifically i'd like to be able to disable a ship/station/base/building/ect.. and send my marines over to kill/capture any suriviors. And once the ship(or whatever) is secured i'd like to empty the fuel tanks, cargo bays, ect... And if SC would see it as possible in the BC universe id like to send system engineers over to strip the ship of all systems that might still be around 90% functional for their spare parts. Basically loot everything that isnt tied down and cut out everything that is. (might not be a good idea with stations...maybe leaving them exempt would be a good idea) Towing a ship to a spacestation is cool enough to get a quick buck...but it doesnt quite have the same feel to it to personally take out a replacement nav computer from the very enemy that destroyed yours in the first place. (only an example of course) Of course it wouldnt be easy. Depending on the AI or class/race of the ship they could booby trap the ship to explode while you are runnin around in there. Perhaps it could be a time limit for you to get in and get out with whatever you were wanting before it blows. Maybe it could be an automated defense if the internal sensors detect there are no longer any crew members on board and only intruders it would start a countdown to self destruct. But thats a feature that would change the whole game for me. And would be a great thrill especially in BCO. (first person perspective..... /em drool...)

Of course I might be far too late for this to be even a consideration since BCG is relatively around the corner. Maybe useful for the distant future.

edit: oh and instead of posting again ill just add to this one.

I also would like to pitch in the possibility of progressing in ships. Actually having to work my way up to a super carrier instead of start with one would add only more depth to this already unfathomable game. I know it was mentioned already but just addin my own 2cp in agreement. And as a raider would be nice to be able to have the remote possibility to disable a ship and upgrade to it...since raiders dont have any restrictions or government rules to adhere too.

[ 04-24-2003, 11:40 PM: Message edited by: Forever Light ]

1. Will naval assets be able to launch STO missiles?

2. How will STO assets sense targets in orbit? They'll just "see" all of TACSCAN? Will they have sensor networks that I can destroy?

3. Does the inclusion of submarines mean that you gloriously crazy people are doing a SONAR model too?

4. Will that big huge "CC" sized sub carry fighters/shuttles/OC's like a real CC?

[ 04-24-2003, 08:55 PM: Message edited by: Andrew Presby ]

• 2 weeks later...

I don't suppose, anywhere in your beta plans for BCG, you have a requirement for a keen but green noobie? (for testing things are idiot proof, etc)

"just what is the blast radius of that starbase when it blows?"

"I dunno, send in the idiot and we'll detonate!"

Something like that.. guess not..

I've just been looking through the screenshots and it really does look wonderful. If real life had a time accelerate button I'd be clicking it from now to September Ooh, but then I'd miss out on playing BCMG.. Argh!!

quote:

Originally posted by Andrew Presby:

1. Will naval assets be able to launch STO missiles?

2. How will STO assets sense targets in orbit? They'll just "see" all of TACSCAN? Will they have sensor networks that I can destroy?

3. Does the inclusion of submarines mean that you gloriously crazy people are doing a SONAR model too?

4. Will that big huge "CC" sized sub carry fighters/shuttles/OC's like a real CC?

1. No
  2. The same way OTS missiles can see targets on the planet
  3. No. I'm not that mad
  4. The carrier class subs will only carry submersibles which only operate in water. In much the same way fighters only operate in space/air.

Forgive me if this has been brought up already, but one thing that I've always wanted to see was more NPCs. Not necessarily smarter or "better" NPCs, just more. When you're hanging around Earth, for instance, it's odd to only rarely see the odd ship. If It's possible, I'd just like to see some traffic. The ships don't even need full AI, just some basic routing. Just window dressing ships to make space seem a bit more alive.

no derision intended ob5idian,

that would seem contrary to the whole point of this sim, in which everything in it is "alive".

why add a bunch of "dead" clutter.

if i see a ship, any ship,(or any entity) on my scope, i know it will respond to stimulus.

and that... my friend... is super coooool...

PS: space is huge.

Quoted from GhengiX;

"if i see a ship, any ship,(or any entity) on my scope, i know it will respond to stimulus.

and that... my friend... is super coooool... "

hehe, what he said

quote:

Originally posted by Sebbish:

Will the "not being able stop on a dime" part apply to CC's and FC's in space?

I remember when I used to play Wing Commander, one of the things that I loved about that game was the ability to hit the Afterburners, shut off the engines, Turn 45 degrees and shoot while strafing the enemy ship, that was REALLY cool. I would hope that this type of model is used for ships in space.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

[*]
The carrier class subs will only carry submersibles which only operate in water. In much the same way fighters only operate in space/air.

Will they get shuttles and grounds craft like BC's so we can assault bases with marines and tanks/APC's the way we can now?????

Talking about the screenshots in the IGN screenshot thread got me thinking...

quote:

Nice! I'm thinkin' that Lumber and Wood products could be lucritive!

Wouldn't it be cool if you could develop a strategy, trying to become an economic power like, for example, OPEC. If you can gain military control of the forests on some planet where its plentiful. And perhaps because of this, you control a high percentage of the galaxies' lumber production... Ok ok, I suppose lumber is a bad example in the year 3010. But anyway, this would afford you the opportunity to control prices. And then, of course, this would now make these areas highly desirable for attack by the AI (or other players?? MP?).

I know BC is more about combat, but this could raise the stakes in the battle over controlling real estate/mission zones.

quote:

Originally posted by Spindoktor:

this would afford you the opportunity to control prices. And then, of course, this would now make these areas highly desirable for attack by the AI (or other players?? MP?).

I think the problem with that is that BCM/G doesn't have a "Market" Economy, (which would require a WHOLE LOT of programming) and I'm not sure the SC is ready to implement something like that (though, who knows, maybe in BCO?)

quote:

Originally posted by ob5idian:

one thing that I've always wanted to see was more NPCs. Not necessarily smarter or "better" NPCs, just more.

I think part of the problem with that is two-fold:

Number 1 is that the game already has more NPC's than one could realistically expect to see out in REAL space, but this is a game so it leads me to Number 2, which is that the way that NPC's have been implemented in this game, isn't how they are implemented in a typical game where they are "Stupid" and follow a script. The NPC's have AI that needs processing, plus they learn from your actions, and become "smarter" which needs even more processing. So, the more NPC's you have the bigger and better your computer has to be to handle the additional processing. So in essence the only way to really add a lot more NPC's to the game is to either dumb them down or make the requirements to where a lot of poeple won't be able to play the game.

BTW, I've noticed that when you clear out an area of certain enemy ships, the area stays clear for quite some time. Which is logical, because home base won't realize their gone for a while, but if you venture out to other areas of space, you can usually find someone to engage.

quote:

Originally posted by Darkling:

quote:

Originally posted by Spindoktor:

this would afford you the opportunity to control prices. And then, of course, this would now make these areas highly desirable for attack by the AI (or other players?? MP?).

I think the problem with that is that BCM/G doesn't have a "Market" Economy, (which would require a WHOLE LOT of programming) and I'm not sure the SC is ready to implement something like that (though, who knows, maybe in BCO?)

Correct. And I have NO plans to implement one. The way trading currently works is fine. If anyone wants a boring game based on a boring economic model, well, there's always Eve.

I have a few fenceing Stations I allow to remain. If it had a Market economy the prices for everythign would sky rocket as stations decreased. Until I would have to eventualy demean myself to mining (EEEEWWWWW) to make a buck. I thank him for the STABLE Economy.

• 2 weeks later...

ive always said I'd prefer to make the capital ships be really sluggish in both acceleration and pitch/yaw/roll and have the fighters and shuttles maintain superiority in acceleration and manouverability.

However, the big ships have a higher top speed, which would allow a BC to technically outrun fighters but the fighters would have a window to attack while the big ship accelerates.

the flight model of the BC3K compared to BCM was a great improvement in that direction, but id still wish it was more pronounced; particularly since in MP it will be players using capital ships to fight capital ships in the same way fighters fight fighters: furballing. It breaks my heart!

• 1 month later...

1) Will the player be able to configure/customize key commands?

2) Will crew (ie Marines) Be able to board or intrude enemy ships via the transporter?

3) Will Commanders be allowed to purchase more fighter/shuttle assets beyond their Carrier's cap?

[ 06-26-2003, 10:19 PM: Message edited by: aggressor27 ]