Universal Combat : A World Apart - NOW ON SALE!!

Supreme Cmdr

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i got it finnaly, with manual as well, means i ordered it as well as the manual, if you read the whole thread this may have been clear, or maybe i am confused because i could swear he mentioned here you could be the manual as well if you wanted as a limited version would be available.

quote:

Originally posted by Cruis.In:

i got it finnaly, with manual as well, means i ordered it as well as the manual, if you read the whole thread this may have been clear, or maybe i am confused because i could swear he mentioned here you could be the manual as well if you wanted as a limited version would be available.

I did order it with the Manual, but when it came with the Manual for BCM, I thought there was an error, so I called BMT Micro and they said that it would be shipping separately, so now I'm a bit worried.

You got a free copy of BCM because you ordered your copy early. Did you NOT read the BMT orders page?

The CD-ROM for BCM is inside the BCM manual. If its not there, you need to contact BMT and let them know.

In fact, I already created a separate thread about the UCAWA manual orders. The manuals were produced AFTER the CD-ROM and are two COMPLETELY SEPARATE orders and items.

sheesh

The manual was ready later than the game, so some people will be getting them seperately, and BCM came free with the first 300 orders, according to the BMT micro site, even though we didn't order it specifically. I'm in the same situation, but at least we have the pdf docs to refer to in the meantime.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

The manuals were produced AFTER the CD-ROM and are two COMPLETELY SEPARATE orders and items.

sheesh

I was just a bit confused becuase he said that he got his Manual WITH his UCAWA order.

Is there any update on the digital download version, or a place to buy UCAWA in the UK?

Just that if I buy it from the states, good old UK customs will screw me over with import duties hehe.

Guest Algeroth

Azaren,

I ordered UCAWA from BMTMicro, and got it within 4 days in the UK. Because it works out to about £20 it's below the import thresholds anyway (which i'm fairly sure is £24, this for some reason includes the postage).

However I didn't order the manual at the same time (they weren't out when I ordered) and that would probably push it over. So you might want to do them seperatly.

Although this may not be true for UCAWA, the percentages for the developer are usually far better from BMTMicro than an online publisher too.

quote:

Originally posted by Algeroth:

Although this may not be true for UCAWA, the percentages for the developer are usually far better from BMTMicro than an online publisher too.

That has always been the case. I have had a long standing relationship with BMT Micro going back almost ten years.

In the case of the online distros, the percentage is lower but not as low as with traditional publishers.

So yeah, we make more money through BMT Micro; but then again, you get your product on the CD-ROM. And also thats the only source of the limited edition printed manual if you wanted one.

The biggest delay with the online distros, is that I had to implement - test - test -test all these various DRM schemes. Lets see

1. TryMedia's www.trygames.com, uses their proprietary ActiveMark DRM.
  2. Boonty's www.boontygames.com (and other portals which they have partners for) use Exent's DRM.
  3. Digital River which has the largest network of affiliates through their network and RegNow, use Software Passport (which used to be Armadillo until DR bought the developers).
  4. Tuner's GameTap's service at www.gametap.com also use Exent. They have BCM & UCG for this Fall's launch and UCAWA for Q1/06.
  5. Then of course I used StarForce ProActive for the CD-ROM version which BMT Micro sells. I used that because then BMT can replicate discs without requiring special equipment which replicators who fulfill jobs for CD-ROM based StarForce (the much hated version) and SafeDisc require. In fact, Boonty also are able to use StarForce ProActive and I'm going to have them switch to that instead. Less testing.

So you see, its not a simple thing of just implementing these DRM schemes. I have to test them. The publishers (BMT Micro, TryMedia etc) have to test them etc etc. Then it goes into their queue. Considering the number of game going online for purchase these days, God only knows where in the queue we are for these online sites. So, you folks just have to either wait or bite the bullet and get it from BMT because I have NO idea when it will all be ready.

I am in the process of figuring out if its worth my while to setup our own downloads page. We have several servers but just need to get the shopping cart and billing system setup. Thats what I'm working on right now so that we can probably use the BMT Micro billing system but have the downloads from our servers. More on this once I get the final word sorted out this week.

I think i'm gonna do some bullet biteing. The demo is cool, but I want roam mode hehe.

I'm sure everything will fall sweetly into place on the digital download front SC. If anything, it will make future releases a bit easier seeing as you'll have experienced the problems first hand.

Good luck! *Runs off to BMT to place an order*

quote:

Originally posted by Azaran:

I think i'm gonna do some bullet biteing. The demo is cool, but I want roam mode hehe.

My bank account thanks you in advance

quote:

I'm sure everything will fall sweetly into place on the digital download front SC. If anything, it will make future releases a bit easier seeing as you'll have experienced the problems first hand.

Exactly!! Its all a learning process which I only have to go through this once. Then its smooth sailing from there.

quote:

I am in the process of figuring out if its worth my while to setup our own downloads page. We have several servers but just need to get the shopping cart and billing system setup. Thats what I'm working on right now so that we can probably use the BMT Micro billing system but have the downloads from our servers. More on this once I get the final word sorted out this week.

You might want to consider Paypal, they have come A LONG WAY since Ebay bought them out.

1st thing is they no longer require the people buying from you to register with them (as long as it's not an auction).

2nd is that as long as you're doing only $5000.00 a month in volume you merchant rates just as competetive as a lot of other services.

3rd is that your customers now also have the capability of paying with a Check, and if they pay with a check you pay no fees!

I recently switched my internal Credit Card billing to Paypal and I now save about $100.00 a month in Merchant Fees, Shopping Cart Fees and Gateway Fees, and in addition I'm paying 5 cents less per transaction plus a half point less in transaction fees.

Best part is, I didn't have to hire a web guy to do the Shopping Cart for me, Paypal provided me all the code, All I had to do was put in into my Intranet and later I'm going to use the same code for my website (with a few modifictions that again won't require a web guy to do).

Guest Algeroth

Thanks for clarifing the situation with the download version. Didn't mean to imply anything other than getting it from BMTMicro is a good thing (i.e. puts more money where it counts).

I've spent enough time intergrating DRM garbage to know it's not an easy job. And always somewhat despressing as 99% of it is terrible.

If you're looking at doing your own stuff having a paypal option is a huge thing, casual market sales can get as high as 50% sales via paypal. And doing it directly is better than using an external provider.

But to be fair your market couldn't be further apart

Well, I must say that after doing a little research into PayPal's business practices, I'm not going to venture dealing with them. I'm definitely going to be making more than $5K per month and it is highly unlikely that I'm going to let them sit on my funds as long as they bloody well feel like.

Scary stuff!!

quote:

Well, I must say that after doing a little research into
, I'm not going to venture dealing with them. I'm definitely going to be making more than $5K per month and it is highly unlikely that I'm going to let them
as long as they bloody well feel like.

!!

Here's another shady paypal deal. Paypal vs SA Red Cross Relief Fund

quote:

Well, I must say that after doing a little research into
, I'm not going to venture dealing with them. I'm definitely going to be making more than $5K per month and it is highly unlikely that I'm going to let them
as long as they bloody well feel like.

!!

Wow!, I've been doing business with them for years and never had any problems. Just goes to show, you never know.

quote:

Originally posted by Spindoktor:

I received my copy of UCAWA yesterday. I now have 4 copies of BCM/BCMG. Ahhh, the memories.

And I keep all the boxes, so I have all of them including the silver 1.0 box but not the BC3K v.2 box. I'll have to keep an eye on Ebay for that one.

I have the v2 box. Bought it at Toys R Us in Summer of 2000.