BattleStar Galactica

LostInSpace

quote:

Originally posted by Grayson:

Sorry. That's my fault. Nielson ratings sent me five crisp new dollar bills and a week long viewing diary. This diary had a comments section. I told them BSG ought to be on networks and I'd watch it every time. They probably got the big head because of that and scheduled it for prime time prime season.

Don't worry though, I also told them more shows ought to have an ENDING (I.E. ST Voyager) and not just disappear with loose ends.

I did think it was good ending and that was quite a twist.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...

Bump!

Premiere tonight. 9/8C then a repeat directly after. Since both are two hours I'm guessing they are playing the premiere twice.

Lessee, they found new Caprica, the cylons landed and took over, the existing fleet jumps out. Hope it's good and all of SC's dire predictions don't come true.

After three frigging hours, they're still on the fracking planet?!?! Gimme a break. They're just dragging it out because once they get back into space, they won't have anything else to write about.

I bet they leave Starbuck on the planet, thereby creating a whole new story arc thats going to dominate season 3.

OK, i 'm convinced our Fearless Leader is straight playa hatin' BSG. Tonites episode wasIMO a stunning achievement , with pathos,irony,and a great plot fully realized. Throw in the space battles sfx and you have clearly the one of the top series on TV. This is a show that is chracter driven, daring and unapologetically intelligent, which puts it ahead of the competetion.

I watched it last night and thought the rescue sequence was barely alright.

The space battles were, uhm, uninspiring but cool nonetheless.

The planetary combat was complete.utter.rubbish. Where were the dogfighting sequences? The awesome vista flybys etc? Oh yeah, you just drop out of orbit and go do your thing. They should hire the SG-1 effects team to do their air/space combat.

Seriously, in the space scene, when I heard the Viper flight lead ordering the wing to break, I burst out laughing. It had as much punch and conviction as a hyena choking on gum. It was just.plain.bad.

I dunno why, but I simply can't get into this show. I think the issue is that its too dramatic and fluff laden.

Like I said, there is no way in hell this show is going to last as long as the likes of SG-1. Especially with only 2.2 million viewers showing up for the third season premiere, the writing is on the wall I think. Its over hyped rubbish.

If you don't care about the characters, you don't care about the show. Action in that show works because you have a stake in the people.

I think the latest episode is the latest of many examples that the action isn't about outsmarting the bad guys with some preternatural intelligence or tactics. It's about iron resolve to put yourself in harm's way and throw yourself into the breach. It costs the characters something to do that each and every time, but it's the right thing for them to do, and we cheer when they do it.

Not true. I don't care for some of the characters.

In fact, I don't care much for the show. Period.

As far as your recent episode storyline goes. Gimme a break. Thats the funniest thing I've heard so far. C'mon now, where is the brilliance in that script. We knew that they would be rescued. We knew that Pegasus would eventually show up. We knew that the good guys would win. Gimme a break. There was nothing surprising about it at all.

And about that iron resolve? LMAO!!!

To me, the show doesn't live up to the hype and some of the acting is as bad as a B movie in the Fall.

The iron resolve bit was about putting the Galactica in atmo knowing full well that the ship is a brick with no maneuvering and it would hit the ground. You have to launch vipers and then jump again or the whole thing's over, and you're doing it without having studied the variables involved.

The very next time we see the ship, it's a mess, and I take it that the fact that they survived at all is something significant. It's not the act of a a super intellect, but of a hard commander who's got the stones to risk a lot to make things happen. I feel like the show's got integrity insofar as he's got to pay for it though. It was because they did something that risky that they lost the Pegasus, which was a serious loss considering its more effective combat power relative to Galactica.

So that's what I mean by "iron resolve," just that they do the job by putting themselves into a more dangerous position, and it's because they pay for it most of the time (and know that they will) that I enjoy it. It takes character to do that I think, and that's what I enjoy.

Also, I don't think I was claiming that you didn't care for the characters, I was just saying in general that if someone doesn't care for the characters, then they lose some investment in the show (which I think is a rather uncontroversial claim). If you care for some of the characters, then you're probably partly invested (at least since you apparently keep watching).

That said, who do you not like, and why? And what bits of acting did you feel were "b" material?

He doesnt like the show, MOF he hates it! That doesnt ruin it for me, even if I think SC is TOO hard on it. I've read similar critiques, some by people who champion the original show as if it were Macbeth or something....no accounting for taste.

quote:

Originally posted by Raziel:

The more he rags, the more it shows that he actually likes the show. SC your trying to hard too convince us you hate it

LMAO!! nah man, I love a good sci-fi show as the next man, but seriously, BSG and that other short lived travesty (aka Star Trek Enterprise) are just pure over hyped rubbish.

• 1 month later...

Sigh, they finally killed the Pegasus. Wish it would have stayed around longer. I forget if they moved all the vipers and raptor's to the Galactica. I'm noticing they are using the same cut scene with two "new" vipers landing alongside three legacy vipers. That was a good episode with the cylons getting infected. Hope they continue that story arc for a while.

Didn't like last week's "boxing" episode. Next week's "run out of food" episode looks to be good though.

(I'm a week behind because I have them taped for me. So it might have been Sunday's episode.)

Raptor's should not have been possesive; I'll leave it alone.

Did you mean "run out of food" was weak? I almost have no idea where I am in relation to you guys! I hope it does well. However, SC's point is getting more and more true. Oh well, space, explosions, robots; what more could a guy want? < G >

BSG has been one of my favorite Sci-Fi shows... however, ever since episode 305/306 I'm starting to wonder if they know where to go from here.

They haven't even run into the Cylons in like 3 or 4 episodes now.

I miss the frantic pace of Season 1/2.

I think people deserved a rest from the intensity of the season 2-3 cliffhanger series. In his podcast (which I find to be quite illuminating from a story perspective), Ron Moore talked about the latest round of one-off episodes as necessary to balance the show's budget. I also think you need some time to move the characters and relationships forward after the season three opener (as in the boxing episode and the Tigh arc) and there are other threats out there (as in last week's episode). Nonetheless, I'll be glad to see the Cylons assert their continuing menacing presence