BattleStar Galactica

LostInSpace

The show is sub-par. It is highly unlikely that it will survive as long as as SG1 or even SGA have lasted. I simply can't see it happening.

I'll be sure to post news of its cancelation when I see it.

I said the same thing about Enterprise.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's a little early to say. Let's see how season three goes, many shows that start out well (as many seem to think about this one) lose their focus and momentum after a few seasons. It's got enough critical acclaim that it will stick around for at least season four I think. Time will tell, but if it does, it won't be predictable from anything on the table now: this series could go up or down from where it's at now.

I just started watching this on Netflix about a week ago. I ran right out and bought the box sets and now that I finished those I've been catching up on Season 3. My early impression from the miniseries no longer applies - this show is amazing. I can't believe how it turned into a horror at the end of season 2. I'm on S3E3 and it litterally makes me feel sick to my stomach to watch these characters abused and murdered like this. It's friggin unbelievable.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Devin Long

I dont know about everyone else, i followed everything from BSM to BSG... The BSG series I(and when i mean I, I mean me right now) believe is the best response to the epics.... I totally understand what the future unfolds with BSG... its the next gen. I love it and wouldn't trade it for anything else... BSG did a great job on reinventing the status of humanity!

Ive only recently started watching the show, most of the episodes I watch online, but my first impressions were ones of amazement. The first one or two I watched, while it was stunningly interesting to watch, I found difficult to follow because of my lack of understanding of the storyline and how Caprica was in Gias' head and such, but I watched the miniseries and a lot of season one and there were times when my jaw dropped just at how amazing the look and feel of the show was.

I like sci-fi a lot, but there is somethign about this that is a lot more than jsut science fiction. The miniseries was alright, though a bit depressing, but the overall acting and character interaction and emotion was stunning. There is such a feel of some greater thing behind the plot that makes it so epic, even if you see the same things several times over. I like the whole human vs. cylon fight for "who is the more righteous" thing too.

Ive seen a lot of series like Star Trek and such, some ok and some terrible, but this tops all of them beyond words. Movie quality, every episode! A++

• 2 months later...

quote:

Originally posted by Grayfox:

quote:

The original show wasn't exactly MacBeth.

no, but now that im older, a new version wouldnt have that same magic the original did when i was a kid.

it might be something my kid might enjoy, but remakes always change from when you were a kid.

several examples: transformers (theres no dinobots for cripes sake!)and he-man. now that my boy is watching them i look at them and think, "you know, the original was much better"... the magic is gone for me

Interesting to see some of the old posts on this, BSG turned out to be for adults only, no kiddie magic here, I for one like the series, sure there are times when it drags a bit, but what show keeps you on the edge of your seat for each and every episode? I don't know of any, not even 24 does that for me now. I mean, how many times can you have a Nuclear, Biological or other holocost happen in a 24Hr. period?

One of the things I find very interesting about the Machines, is the fact that they worship ONE God, (Like us) and seem to care more about each other than the Humans care about themselves (what we strive for), so in a some ways we can actually see things from the Cylons point of view better than that of the Humans on the show.

quote:

Originally posted by Chavik:

They killed Starbuck? Scriv prolly loves that!

Betcha the Cylon Bogie captured her and she shows again. Maybe not, who knows?

She had no redeeming character qualities whatsoever. My only regret is that she used a valuable piece of military hardware to kill herself rather than airlocking herself.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

TBH, I'm surprised that the show is still on the air.

So am I, although I liked it a lot more than you.

The show turned into a soap opera for the last six episodes, it's quite sad actually. It was fun while it was about the fate of humanity, but now it's just about the main characters... it's quite sad actually. The ship has already struck the iceberg, and the guys down below are still eagerly shoveling coals.

quote:

Originally posted by stingray:

... It was fun while it was about the fate of humanity, but now it's just about the main characters... it's quite sad actually. ...

I can't think of a SINGLE show, where it WASN'T about the main characters. That's what shows do, they bring you in with a grand story, then build that grand story around the main characters of the show, otherwise every script would read like an engineering manual.

Star Trek Voyager tried to make a show about "technology" and people got lost in the mumbo jumbo. "Deanna, you'll need to recalibrate the tri-phasic torpedos to match the quantum matrix vortex frequency. I figured if we can get the coeffiecnt of pie in the easy bake oven, it will be more delicious." I mean towards the end of the paragraphs you were like, "MMMmmmmm, Pie" completely lost.

I actually think its supposed to be more about humanity and what makes us who we are than about space battles, they are pretty and kind of cool but Freespace: the Tv series wouldn't go over so well methinks.

Seems to me the season finale had all the ingredients of a show finale, including the "deus ex machina" ending with our favorite frakked-up viper pilot. I really hate it when writers pull rabbits out of their hats... not very convincing.

The extension to a fourth season must have come as a complete surprise.

So that's it for this year?

quote:

I guess I was expecting more space battles and missions, not a courtroom drama.

How many shows can they really do about space battles?

quote:

Originally posted by $iLk:

This past episode seems like this:

I always wondered where the phrase "Jumped the shark" came from! I had stopped watching Happy Days, LOOOONNNGGG before he jumped the shark.

quote:

Originally posted by $iLk:

There is supposed to be a 2 hour direct to DVD movie about Pegasus from the beginning of the Cylon war until they meet Galactica.

If this does well, they'll probably end up with a spinoff series, maybe one that focuses solely on the Cylons.

Look what they did with the Stargate series, we have an additional show Stargate Atlantis, and since SG1 is ending, they're coming up with a third show to fill in for that one.

quote:

Originally posted by Darkling:

quote:

I guess I was expecting more space battles and missions, not a courtroom drama.

How many shows can they really do about space battles?

I think it's more a matter of lack of imagination on the side of the makers. The subject matter is what's keeping 3000AD going, so it's certainly possible. The ratings have been continually slipping. If they'd sprinkled in a bit more action, people might have watched more. When I say "more" I don't mean "only." There is an inherent problem to overarching plots, people don't like to jump-in mid-season.

If there's anything I remember most fondly about the Star Wars saga, it's the lightsaber fights and the space battle sequences and its villains (and the Ewoks, but that's another story).

The main problem with BSG is that there is no clear villain. It's all shades of grey. There is no Darth Vader or evil Emperor. One episode Bill and Lee Adama are hugging each other, the next they are nearly punching each other in the face. As I understand it the latest slump in the show was due to the fact that they had to cut a story line about the Sagitarians and that this weakened the show considerably up until the finale. That's a great explanation, but who really cares?

Anyway the show got its fourth (and probably final) season signed and there'll be a 2 hour TV movie in the fall about the Pegasus, so it's not all bad.

To paraphrase SC (I think) I'm a sucker for anything Sci Fi. I liked it. Just saw it on my tape. Starbuck is back. For real? Or a 6/Baltar type hallucination?

I did miss the "next season's" preview. Usually "next week's episode" deal. The tape cut off early. I guess I can get that from the website.

I hope it makes 5 seasons. Or at least wraps up nicely. The two hours pegasus movie sounds cool too.

quote:

The main problem with BSG is that there is no clear villain.

I beg to differ. The main problem is that its rubbish. I've said that all along. Its nowhere even as good as the campy SG1 and SGA series. And they managed to keep them going just fine.

The BSG writers are cocky. Plus, they're idiots. If you're going to make a series about a conflict, well, put in the conflict and leave out the rubbish drama. The frigging show has become so convoluted that I don't think even the most blow hard BSG fans has a frigging clue wtf is going on.