Night at the movies - Lord of the rings (minor spoilers alert!!!)

Supreme Cmdr

OMG!!!

This is THE BEST movie I have seen ALL my life. I'm NOT kidding.

In fact, I'm taking the missus and toddler to see it tomorrow.

Damn, this movie was good. Now I gotta wait TWO frigging years for part 2&3. Damnit! I hate it when they do that. I would have happily sat through all nine hours without taking a pee break. No kidding.

And all of you thinking that Hollywood ruins books. Let me tell you this, if they ruined any part of it, I didn't notice. Except for a scene at the inn which probably didn't make the cut. Dunno.

[ 12-20-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hehe, a lot of the book was missing...(entire scenes... and the way that the hobbits got the swords was wrong...) but, they did a fair job of sticking to the general storyline. I just wish the pacing were a little better.

Lot of eye candy. I'm hoping, like Empire Strikes Back, that LOTR:2 is better

Argh, I have to wait until around 5:00 before I can see it. I was planning on catching a midnight show this morning (er... last night, whatever.), but I got into a (minor) accident on the way to the theater. And then I was supposed to go see it again this afternoon, but I had to take my grandparents somewhere - effectively killing any chance of making it on time.

If anything stops me from seeing it tommorow I swear I'm going to kill somebody.

quote:

Originally posted by Akira:

hehe, a lot of the book was missing...(entire scenes... and the way that the hobbits got the swords was wrong...) but, they did a fair job of sticking to the general storyline. I just wish the pacing were a little better.

Lot of eye candy. I'm hoping, like Empire Strikes Back, that LOTR:2 is better

Really? A few friends of mine who are almost as obsessed with Tolkien as I am told me that it was pretty damn faithful. About the only thing they really noted was the absence of Tom Bombadil (er.. sp?) and the way all of the action sequences were stretched out. But that's to be expected, other than a few exceptions most "action" oriented areas in Lord of the Rings were generally short - most of Tolkien's writing was focused on the "epic" itself and the setting. But there's no way to get through a big fight scene quickly in a movie and still make it interesting and fun to watch.

If my memory serves me right, only two characters were cut. I can see why though, they weren't all that important and probably would have bogged down the movie.

As for the fights, they were just right. I mean it. To me, they weren't drawn out, shallow or anything. Lets not even talk about the specialFX. In fact, though some of the scenes were brutal, the absense of ANY sort of blood and gore, was nothing short of spectacular. You could tell that it was a vicious fight, but even when an Orc takes an arrow between the eyes, you don't wince.

You're right about the swords. I forgot about that!! Oh well, time to go read those books again.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

OMG!!!

This is THE BEST movie I have seen ALL my life. I'm NOT kidding.

In fact, I'm taking the missus and toddler to see it tomorrow.

Damn, this movie was good. Now I gotta wait TWO frigging years for part 2&3. Damnit! I hate it when they do that. I would have happily sat through all nine hours without taking a pee break. No kidding.

And all of you thinking that Hollywood ruins books. Let me tell you this, if they ruined any part of it, I didn't notice. Except for a scene at the inn which probably didn't make the cut. Dunno.

Firstly, I agree best film my eyes have seen.

The list of missing parts and people is actually fairly large: Farmer Maggot, Tom Bombadil and Goldberry the River Daughter, Old Man Willow, Glorfindel, the entire Old Forrest, the Barrow Downs, purchasing Bill the Pony in Bree, traveling through the swamp with the bitems, and the list continues. The important thing though is that the screenplay does not diminish the story because most of the scenes and people left out are side line characters and events. That one scene in Bree, however, is the only way the hobbits can dare trust Strider and gives great insight into who he really is. Cutting that was a mistake IMO but a forgivable one because of how great the film is.

The audience cheered a couple of times and the silence was deathly still on numerous occasions. My wife, the screamer that she is, when the ***** actually catches ***** in Balin's tomb chamber. From the way they play peek-a-boo, it's obvious what's going to happen but she let out a blood curdling scream anyway.

Great show, going to see it again Saturday.

quote:

Originally posted by Kenada:

im going to see with my girlfriend tonight! I watched a cartoon version of it in my Mythology Class... Was kinda cool.

Ack...the Rankin (The Hobbit & The Return of the King) animations were better than Bakshi's LotR (Fellowship + Two Towers) but all three are fairly hideous.

I thought it was very well done. The scenes that were left out were, for the most part, side events. It would have been nice to see them, but oh well.

Cave Trolls take ALOT of punishment before they go down, and that balrog was very nice.

Anybody willing to answer some questions about the creatures of the books/movie over email, as not to give out any potential spoilers? I'm not sure which creatures are which, except for Elves and the Golem/Gollum...

Great movie, though. Ian McKellen was great and I loved the looks on Hugo Weaving's face at times.

Now I must read the books...

Everyone, stop it!! If all of you continue to talk about LotR this way, with such enthusiatic words, I will get a ticket for the first flight to NY just to come to watch the movie!!!

Grrrrrr, it is not fair, such a movie should have been distributed worldwide the same day!!

Why should I wait one more month??

Sigh, sigh, sigh!!

Ok, I will spend this loooong month reading (once more) the book! (and playing BCM of course!!)

Excellent movie. Although I wish they used Gimle the dwarf a bit more in the scenes. I always respected John Rhys Davies work but sadly there just wasn't enough of him. I think they put too much emphasis on the elves rather than the dwarves. Oh well, maybe in the next 2 sequels will see more of them in action. I bet Orion fleet agrees with me when u want brute force nothing beats a having a dwarf or 2 along for the ride.

[ 12-20-2001: Message edited by: Outlaw ]

Hey Stephanos, doesn't LotR open in Italy till next month? It's already started here in Svizzera, I'll come down and steal your PC, you come up here and watch the film (All films are shown in the original version with F and D subtitles)

Mind you, good luck getting any ticks.

quote:

Originally posted by Paddy Gregory:

Hey Stephanos, doesn't LotR open in Italy till next month? It's already started here in Svizzera, I'll come down and steal your PC, you come up here and watch the film (All films are shown in the original version with F and D subtitles)

Mind you, good luck getting any ticks.

GRRRRRRRR

I hate assassins!!!

quote:

Originally posted by Stephanos:

Grrrrrr, it is not fair, such a movie should have been distributed worldwide the same day!!

I thought it did. I went to see it in Helsinki on the evening of 12/19. I thought that it was just after the US premiere.

I must say that it was quite different from the book. Good movie, though.

quote:

Originally posted by Tyrn:

The list of missing parts and people is actually fairly large: Farmer Maggot, Tom Bombadil and Goldberry the River Daughter, Old Man Willow, Glorfindel, the entire Old Forrest, the Barrow Downs, purchasing Bill the Pony in Bree, traveling through the swamp with the bitems, and the list continues. The important thing though is that the screenplay does not diminish the story because most of the scenes and people left out are side line characters and events.

That one scene in Bree, however, is the only way the hobbits can dare trust Strider and gives great insight into who he really is. Cutting that was a mistake IMO but a forgivable one because of how great the film is.

I agree. But you see, even though I read the books a LONG time ago, the movie was good enough that the missing characters didn't ruin it. Know what I mean? Thats one fine script I tell you.

Come to think of it, that deleted scene in Bree would've been nice, but I think that they probably removed it because trusting Strider would have happened anyway. I guess they figured that we wouldn't notice. Notice? I clean forgot!!

I have the original books here somewhere, but I'm going to go out and buy the newly released trilogy set today.

Damn, this movie was good.

quote:

What? ... better than that seminal classic "Dude, where's my car?" ?

How dare you mention that turd of a film in the presence of LoTR. DWMC was so awful, in the space of ten minutes I was violently sick, went down with scabies and lost my girlfriend - all because of that soul destroyingly pants pile of horse snot. The producers of that film are worse than Hitler.

Incidently, I get to take my newly aquired, tall, teachery like future EX to see LoTR tomoz night. Yay! It's Christmaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaas!

quote:

Originally posted by Blades:

How dare you mention that turd of a film in the presence of LoTR. DWMC was so awful, in the space of ten minutes I was violently sick, went down with scabies and lost my girlfriend - all because of that soul destroyingly pants pile of horse snot. The producers of that film are worse than Hitler.

Incidently, I get to take my newly aquired, tall, teachery like future EX to see LoTR tomoz night. Yay! It's Christmaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaas!

Dude, where's you sense of humour?

quote:

Originally posted by Blades:

Pics? If you want I'll help you turn her to an ex in no time. (joke, but not about the pics )

*do you guys see a pattern here?*