Night at the Movies - The Matrix Reloaded

Guest $iLk

I was so entrhalled by the special effects that I didn't even consider that until the second time I saw it. But that does seem to make sense. I mean, if it turns out that Neo now has his "Matrix powers" in "real-life" I'm gonna be pissed, but if he is still in the Matrix it'll rock.

I've been thinking though (and discussing with friends) about the spiritual elements that are prevalent in the Matrix. I mean, I'm not gonna get all relgious here, but it is UNDENIABLE that the writers intended to have a spiritual sense in this movie. Obviously, the names of people and places (Zion, Neo, Trinity, The Oracle) all have biblical conotations.

It goes beyond that though. Neo is able to start doing "Matrix things" when he stops doubting that he can. This is very similiar to:

/bible on

When Peter "walked" on water for a few moments and when he realized it was impossible he sank.

/bible off

My point is, I'm not so sure that it's so much about different "levels" of the Matrix as it is about levels of awareness. I.E. Humans realize that anything is possible if you put your mind to it (obtain omnipotence) and this makes them "godlike."

I think it's awesome how they are developing this story on a physical and spiritual level at the same time. Very good work on their part. I can't wait to see the 3rd movie because in my opinion that is when things are really going to get started. The first two movies really just set the stage for the finale.

Sprituality is nothing new to the cinema. Take for example Star Wars specifically The Empire Strikes Back. Luke is flexing his force powers in that movie. He ends up on degoba for his training with yoda and strands his X-wing fighter in a bog. Hmm, there's that damn bog again (if you are wondering why I say that read my message in the ADVENTURES IN STUDITY thread). Anyway, yoda brings him to the fighter and tells him to lift it outa the bog. He can't so with a sigh Yoda gathers up his strength and lifts the ship up and outa the bog and places it on dry land. Luke excalaims "I don't believe it" and Yoda responds "That is why you fail". This idea has also made it into the cartoons. Take for another example the Looney Tunes specifically the Road Runner. How many times have we seen the coyote chasing the road runner and the road runner stops right at the edge of a cliff but the poor coyote keeps going and going and he is doing fine in mid air that is util he realizes where he is and looks down and looks at the camera and swoosh straight down he goes . My point being that all the good movies classic or new add elements of spirituality. You might wanna check into this next item too bad this book and pbs taping was done before the matrix it would have made it in there too. I watched the PBS run of the series and it was very good.

The Power of Myth - Joseph Cambell and Bill Moyers This is the transcript of conversations between Cambell and Moyers, dealing with comparative mythology. This was originally taped for a PBS TV series, but makes a great read. If you at all question the orthodoxy of your particular belief system, this one's for you, baby!!

quote:

Originally posted by Bandus:

I've been thinking though (and discussing with friends) about the spiritual elements that are prevalent in the Matrix. I mean, I'm not gonna get all relgious here, but it is UNDENIABLE that the writers intended to have a spiritual sense in this movie. Obviously, the names of people and places (Zion, Neo, Trinity, The Oracle) all have biblical conotations.

It goes beyond that though. Neo is able to start doing "Matrix things" when he stops doubting that he can. This is very similiar to:

/bible on

When Peter "walked" on water for a few moments and when he realized it was impossible he sank.

/bible off

My point is, I'm not so sure that it's so much about different "levels" of the Matrix as it is about levels of awareness. I.E. Humans realize that anything is possible if you put your mind to it (obtain omnipotence) and this makes them "godlike."

I think it's awesome how they are developing this story on a physical and spiritual level at the same time. Very good work on their part. I can't wait to see the 3rd movie because in my opinion that is when things are really going to get started. The first two movies really just set the stage for the finale.