The NEW Enterprise

Korono Lakeela

You can catch a glimpse of the new symbol of trek in the TV guide, or look at this.

Nothing at all creative.....god, this series is going to bomb so hard I better pad the floor.

http://www.corona.bc.ca/films/TP/scoops/scoops.html

here is a straight up image...

http://www.corona.bc.ca/films/TP/pics/enterprise_tvguide.jpg

I really was expecting something a little more archane. I mean, this design does put emphasis on the "saucer" section concept that trek humans seem to put in as a design staple, but there are a dozen other ways to it than ripping off an exsiting design. How can they go to this sleek ship to something you would find in the Franz Joesph Tech Book?, I mean, if they were to rip off any design, I could understand using the Saladin Destroyer from that book. That would make more sense..a saucer and one warp engine.

[ 07-10-2001: Message edited by: Korono Lakeela ]

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

God, I hope it's at least reasonable, but the way that starship looks, we ARE IN TROUBLE!!!

The writers are gonna tear the show to pieces, I can already see it.

I hope that some common sense comes into this, or else it's gonna turn into another days of our lives in space!! PLEASE NO!!!!

Yea, no kidding, that's a rip-off of an Akira if I ever saw one. The other kitbash ships in DS9 are bad enough, but this thing for the first enterprise? Come on!!! I like the idea for this new series, I really do. But this enterprise design needs to go.

[ 07-09-2001: Message edited by: Firehawk ]

quote:

the writers describe the vessel as "more rocketship than starship".

If I may say so but... thats just plain stupid...*cross fingers* I just hope the show ain't as stupid as that quoote...

*sighs*

I think the show entirely tears up the idea of the Enterprise. Why not make him one of the first captains of the USS ENTERPRISE NCC 1701? After all, according to all the pictures in several star trek episodes and the first movie - they already pictured all ships named enterprise - From the carrier - to the space shuttle - to the one we know and love.

We know the original enterprise changed hands several times on different 5 year missions, so why not build a story over that? I want more Orion slave women!

And WTF is that piece of $hit drawing? Plagarizing a Next Gen / Ds9 ship? I hope they didn't turn the gears in their brain too hard on that one. Oh well, I am convinced this is going to be one of the worst series yet - The mood of the acting and of the old series will be totally different and influenced by people who probably never even watched star trek. They just handed an idea to a couple of well-paid script writers, who's R&D no doubt consisted of watching a couple episodes of Star Trek and saying, "Yep I think we get the gist of this whole trekking thingy".

Then again I may be wrong - won't know till the show comes out. It would be nice if they could make Star Trek like the original series, after all, it was more exciting with Kirk's diplomacy (One warning shot across the bow) rather than Picard's one hour dialogs which usually ended in an emotional scene of the enemy withdrawing for fear of losing further IQ points.

Ah well, I guess we shall see how this one turns out. As far as the ship, one would wonder why the Federation would scrap a really cool design and go to the blocky ships of the original series? hmmm..?

The writers shouldn't take to much creativity here, we shouldn't see a drastic rewriting of Starfleet history. It is very disturbing and I would personally feel betrayed by the writers.

I've gone on long enough, I guess I will just keep updated and hopefully be happy with the way they spin this. One thing is no doubt for sure, alot of others are scared too...

What is exactly not to like about this design? (other than its pretty much modeled after an exsisting ship). I looks a little to sleek and next gen for the setting but the ship its self looks fine. I personaly would expect something small saucer with dual nacell in vertical setting rather than horizontal (the older ships had this arangment even in quad nacell formation). Or something Ulysseys configuration(ah heck i can't think how to spell it) hmm yah a larger Ulysseys style design would do it for me...it looks old yet it maintains an interesting look. Though I can understand why they picked the design they did. The enterprise they want to look gracefull and swan like yet retain some vintage feel to it.All enterprises have a majestic look to them yet look gracefull as well (they are the fleets flag ship) The design needs to embody the feel of " yah..this ship is for doing something special".. its look needs to look like it can fill any role. well thats my 2 cents... I like to hear critques of things but you have to say more than just "it sucks".

ooops sorry Silk, didn't see your post before I wrote mine...thanks for the critique. I agree with you about the enterprise, its not really that long before kirk entered the scene and the enterprise ships design set forth in the TOS had been around for some time if I remember correctly. (or at least had some form of the design ) I gonna guess thier interior ship design will be inspired from the experimental warp ship from "first contact".

I saw some shots of the interior of the new enterprise, and surprisingly I have no complaints there. I thought they could have been a little more original with the design. It is too sleek, and too refined for the era it is in. Supposedly the crew is "afraid" of transporters, and jump every time they see an alien. They mistrust the idea of Starfleet, and yet there is a more advanced looking ship than Kirk's.

I'm not saying dumb down the effects, Or make cheesy ass consoles like in TOS, but they are messing around with stuff that has been set in stone (supposedly set in stone mind you) for the last 35 years.

They should do the feel of Kirk's Enterprise, with the less flashy technology, and newer special effects. Personally I would have loved a "newer" series, so that I could know what the hell happens after Voyager makes it home... Since Star Trek X will probably be the last Next Generation movie from the way Brent Spiner and Michael Dorn talk.

Oh well. I could complain all day, but I hope and hope that this series does it right. Voyager almost turned me off with the first couple of seasons, but once Seven of Nine came in that got my teenage hormones aching to watch Voyager. Even now that I'm grown I just love that tight outfit and the ever-enlarging "hoo hoos".

Bakula I hear is trying to be a Kirk clone as well... *sigh* before I go off on another rant, just check out some news at www.section31.com and see some spoilers for yourself.

You guys are right. It does look like an Akira class. Yep too slick for my liking. It's like saying a Porsche 911 mk1 should look better than the current 911 Carrera....But then again the mk1 does look sleeker right?

OMG...

Oviously common sense is lacking here.

If they really intend on using that Akira look alike, and the show is in the Pre-Kirk timeline.....Then the Francise is truely DEAD!

I know if I was Gene Roddenberry's son, I would be on the phone to Hollywood right now.

[ 07-10-2001: Message edited by: GREG MILLER ]

You know, I don't think it matters. Trek shows have sucked for years (anything after TNG, really). I mean, how predictable was the plot?

Here's a typical Trek episode:

*Opens with light-hearted melodrama or techno-babble*

*Ship shakes*

*Crew engages in more techno-babble, trying to figure out why ship is shaking*

*Something odd happens, usually involving a flash of light or some other overdone "special" effect*

*Plot is revealed. Same thing everytime: return things to normal*

*More techno-babble referring to how they've never encountered this phenomena before*

*Ship shakes again*

*Crew tries first techno-babble option. It invariably fails*

*Ship shakes*

*Captain informs a varying member of crew that the ship doesn't have much time so they had better come up with new techno-babble fast*

*Ship shakes*

*One of two things: Crew saves ship at last moment, employs techno-babble to explain how they did it at the end of show, or; they explain first and then save ship. Either way, they are sure to explain at some point just in case anyone of us ever gets attacked by the [insert fictional race or disease here]*

*Melodrama*

*Show ends*

quote:

-from setion31 interview-

MARK: As you look around, this is a lot more advanced than the '60s, even though you're earlier in time.

SCOTT: It's kind of a tricky thing because we obviously have more technology now at our disposal in terms of the shooting of it, but we had to go back and make it look like it was before. So this has more of a submarine type of feel to it. You go in the submarines of today and there are a lot of similarities to their kind of stations and things. So projecting that ahead and still making it seem like it's before Kirk is complicated.

--------------------------------------------

MARK: The legacy of this whole "Star Trek" series -- tell me about it.

SCOTT: Well, it has been over three decades, and I go back to the very beginning of it and have a very serious relationship with that first "Star Trek" show. To be able to be a part of that, to continue that and yet be the first at the same time is pretty intriguing. Again, we have all this new available technology so we can set it up in a new way and give it a new look.

"To be able to be a part of that, to continue that and yet be the first at the same time is pretty intriguing."

Huh??? How can you continue something, and be the first?!?!

[ 07-10-2001: Message edited by: Herro YuY ]

This critic says:

BOOOOOO!!

I would rather have fat & ugly shatner back on the series than sit through this dung heap.

I agree with ye folks, how the HECK can the pre-kirk ship look BETTER, more MODERN and be an obvious rip off from a ds9 ship? MEDIIIC!!!!

Kinda ironic, ST seems to be following a trend set by another great space scifi series... Galactica. This new ST show will be the equivalent of Galactica 1980. Oh yes, it will verily suck. *flush*

Well, all of the comments aside, I knew that this was going to flop as soon as I saw the word "Enterprise" on the TV screen.

Hell, they already screwed up Andromeda and Earth: Final Conflict. Trust me, Roddenbury would have made those shows much more interesting than they are. Not acting hostile to anyone who likes them, but for a true Star Trek fan (I don't like B5 either) they could have been so much better.

But no, some mancy Hollywood writers had to conscript the worst actors for the job (believe me, Kevin Sorbo does NOT make a good leader; he's a renegade character). Add that to characters with the depth of tissue paper, a ship's "AI" character hired just for her body, and you get the idea.

(I also felt the same way about Seven of Nine. Pointless and demeaning.)

As I said before, if Roddenbury was buried in a grave, rather than floating around in orbit, he'd be turning in it.

quote:

I also felt the same way about Seven of Nine. Pointless and demeaning.

I think Seven of Nine was more than just a 'body' character. Before Jeri Ryan joined the cast, the show was lacking any particularly interesting relationships and the regular characters were being homogenized over time. The introduction of Seven of Nine allowed the writers to create the type of hero-sidekick relationship between Seven and Janeway that made the previous ST series more likeable (Kirk and Spock in TOS, Picard and Data in TNG).

quote:

how the HECK can the pre-kirk ship look BETTER, more MODERN

Please, the original show was made in the sixties. Maybe that's the reason? Just maybe?

However, in one of the last episodes the Voyager series did a very good job on the old Klingon cruiser I thought. Kept the old look just updated it.

quote:

and be an obvious rip off from a ds9 ship?

Ya think? Hmmmmmmm. Makes me wonder now. Heh, I'd forgotten all about the defiant. I didn't like DS9 very much.

I'll watch it. Maybe it will be good. Maybe it will be mediocre and grow into itself.

Guess we will all find out.

I think its pretty obvious that imagery does not make or break a show. I mean look at "dr.who", the ultimate in cheap ass productions yet its engaging and interesting some how. Gotta love the brits and their taste in sci-fi. Its all about story telling.

This show could very well be the best trek ever...it will all depend upon the writing and the execution of that writing. Who ever is executive producer will make a big difference in wether or not the show is any good, as the EP has to approve or disapprove of everything for a show. He has all the power when it comes to the actual making/direction of the show. So if the EP sucks then most likely the show will suck.

Frankly I thought that Voyager was a slap in the face of rodenberry as the show tackled nothing and believed in nothing. DS9 was the ultimate homage to rodenberry because that show in its last 3 seasons worked hard to ask questions that were very hard to give an answer to.It created shows that gave no absoulute correct answer..it actually made you think about the situation. To bad the guy who was the head of that show left paramount due to creative differences between him and the yahoo who is in charge now. Now this new trek series has MASSIVE potential to be the best platform for meaningful stories wrapped up in a sci-fi package. The question is will the suits of paramount have the guts to approach this show no-holds barred? will they be daring? will they stand for something? or will they take the safe route by creating more voyager cotten candy shows...all look and no substance. I need some meat in my diet dammit and the last shows to do that for me were B5 and DS9 and certain episodes of Star trek nextgen (of course the TOS as well).

For me Voyager and Andromeda are 2 of the worse major sci-fi shows to ever grace tv. Farscape is a good looking fun show no doubt but it is true escapism and forgets the whole purpose of why writers use sci-fi or fantasy to tell a story. So here is to hoping for some sci-fi goodness this fall.

[ 07-11-2001: Message edited by: Harlocke ]