Night at the Movies - The Punisher

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

For starters The critics are completely on Crack. In fact now that I have seen Punisher its a little irritating. I kept waiting for it to *get bad* or Corny or something... It never did.

This was one of the best comic book movies. Thomas Jane was an awesome punisher. Travolta played his best villain yet, mainly becuase the villain is a normal straight bad guy. No Wacked one liners no stupid decisions, no over the top acting. He really impressed me. Jane though by far is one of the best actors cast in a comic book role ever. I could even see him being the best Bat Man of all time as well. Just has that *thing* or whatever.

The action was awesome throwback to the good old days. No fake wire jumps, Matrix ripoffs, or bad cgi. Just Good old fashion military style close combat and weaponry. The story line was very tight and well done.

For the life of me I cant understand how this movie did not at least get solid 2.5 stars from everyone. IMO it is more like a 3 star movie.

Final Score 7/10

Over the years, I have seen Thomas Jane is various straight to DVD/Video movies and when I heard that The Punisher was being made, funny enough, he was the first person that came to mind. I have NO idea why that was. Then I heard he had been cast to do it.

I saw this movie yesterday - and I quite agree that it is one of the best comic book movies ever made. Unfortunately, The Punisher is not as popular as, say, X-Men or Spiderman, so I don't expect it to make that kind of buzz or box office numbers.

To me, the movie is perfect. Very good pacing, no over-the-top gratuitous gore (except for that one guy with the knife at the end fight) and TJ did an amazing job of portrating the surly, sarcastic Frank Castle.

John Travolta, as always, plays pure evil to the absolute letter.

I hope it makes enough numbers so that we get to see another one, since its just tons better than Blade (To me, Blade II was just rubbish, even though it had Ron Perlman in it).

Definitely going to see it again before it finishes its run.

10/10

Blade II was hilarious! All the wrestling moves they threw in there were so stupid.

Anyhow, sounds like I might have to give this movie a look myself. I've been brushing it off as automatic crap since I saw the first preview. So, thanks guys. Now I'm gonna be out another $8

Guest Grayfox

quote:

Unfortunately, The Punisher is not as popular as, say, X-Men or Spiderman,

i attribute that to "normal guy" syndrome. hes not as popular cause hes just an average joe marine... no super powers, nothing. people like to imagine what it would be like to be juiced up with super powers, thats why they flock to superhero movies.

i mean look at captain america. he was injected by the super soldier formula, but he cant lift cars... he cant see thru walls. all he has is increased, gymnast like agility, and the strength of a power lifter... all within human limits (albeit specimen type human limits )

also the fact that both cap and the punisher were victims of horrendous movie syndrome, doesnt help their case out much. i think the reviewers took that into consideration and went in expecting to see a bad movie, and in their eyes they did...

im just waiting for a decent captain america movie... he was always one of my favs.

nuff said

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

actually that is incorrect. Captain america can lift a small car. His strength is enhanced past normal human limits.

Cap can lift/press approx 1 Ton. Or 2,000 pounds.

Guest Grayfox

lmao

like i said he has the strength of a power lifter or one of those worlds strongest man competitors... they lift cars. i should of rephrased my statement to "large SUV's" or said that he can lift volkswagons

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

Actually I was an aspiring wanabe Marvel Artist for a while.

Artists are not *nerds* its just an accepted Truth, They are Eccentric.

I put this one off for a while, preconvinced that it was going to be garbage... and for me, that kind of hunch is almost never wrong. This time it was. Now I could have lived without some of the one-liners... but I would *almost* put The Punisher on the same level as Die Hard. That guy looks a lot bigger and meaner on screen than he does in the trailers, that's for sure. There's definately room for improvement in the sequel, though... I think we need to see a little more brutal justice... really push that R rating, eh? But then, I still dream of the day we get Watchmen, the movie... or at least the unrated DVD version of Watchmen the movie *sinister grin*. Who knows, maybe the screenplay adaptation I'm working on for a school project will see it's way into production someday? I can dream, can't I?

7.5/10

Guest Grayfox

seen this one today... twice. love it. this is how the first punisher should of been done.

i also enjoyed the little nod they gave to Punisher: Warzone issue#1 for those that read it they know what i mean.

i thought thomas jane was perfect in the role. he buffed up from the last time i saw him in anything (61) and i thought he looked alot like the first comic version of the punisher... buff but not freakish size.

now if they did a punisher on the John Romita Jr. rendition (my fav) scott hall (wrestler aka razor ramone) would have been a perfect fit. size, attitude, looks. but i digress...

8.5/10

quote:

Originally posted by Grayfox:

now if they did a punisher on the John Romita Jr. rendition (my fav) scott hall (wrestler aka razor ramone) would have been a perfect fit. size, attitude, looks. but i digress.

Who the hell is he? Got pics?

• 1 month later...

Saw it tonight. It's still hanging around at two theatres. I had to make a 55 mile round trip to see it but it was worth it. Dunno if it was the late show or all shows but I also got a coupon for a free small popcorn and a medium drink. That alone made the drive worth it. I was expecting to drop a twenty but came out for less than ten (plus gas).

I agree with all of you. It was really pretty good. The slightest bit slow at the beginning but maybe I'm just a crybaby. . I liked the freaks in his apartment building.

Not knowing anything about the comics I had no preconceptions and thought it held up very well as a stand alone movie.

If you liked this one you might also like Mel Gibson's "Payback".

Joss Whedon (The man behind Buffy and Angel, who is now in charge of a Marvel comic) made a comment that he doesn't like the Punisher (character) cause he isn't a real hero. He uses lethal means to fight the bad guys.

Now I don't know alot about The Punisher mythos, but from what I know or seen I slightly agree. I wanted to see the movie, but guess I'll wait for the DVD. It looks like a great movie even if Frank Castle didn't turn into a superhero guy