Stills from the DOOM movie

Supreme Cmdr

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

quote:

and Resident Evil has Milla Jovovich, and End of Days had Arnold Swarzenegger

Um.. I liked both RE movies and i liked End of Days.

My point, Zane, is that zombies = not scary, cliche, not entertaining. Unless said zombie movie is wildly funny-entertaining (Shaun of the Dead), zombies suck. I've NEVER liked zombie movies. Demons on Mars is at least original, and scary because you don't know what the heck they are capable of. If it's the subject matter you think can't be adopted because it's too ridiculous, give me 3 weeks and I'll turn out one of the best horror scripts since ALIENS... based entirely on the concept behind DOOM. It can be done. Easily. But they made the concious decision to make it as unlike the videogame as they could get away with. I mean - the namesake dosn't even apply any more!

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

If they can make EVent Horizon they can make Doom.

Especially if they make it more along the lines of an Action movie and less along the lines of a Horror Movie.

Marines kicking But on Demons on a Remote iscolated Mars base. Trying to stay alive and stop a cascade of events started by careless scientists who opened a gate to Hell.

I just dont see a problem with it in any way shapre or Form. Good Vs Evil. Action, Suspense, a litte Horror, a few great one liners, and the Rock.

Its so freaking OBVIOUS to make a movie along those lines its not even funny.

• 4 months later...

Excuse me for being a purist - but if you read the first Doom novel (and pretended the others didn't exist) you had a decent barebones story to start with.

Doom III added a ton story-wise to the game.

But if they completely take the story away from it's roots (it's not even going to be on Mars for God's sake.) they might as well call it "Attack of the Zombies from SPACE!"

A certain amount of deviation is okay - but changing the setting/characters/enemies into completely different things is far too much. They might as well not call it Doom.

How many of you cheer for the movie "Dungeons & Dragons" versus those of us who like to pretend it never existed?

It is extremely painful to see a good concept ruined by some ass-hat tinkering with the concept that attracted people anyway.

I stand by my pledge never to see this movie so long as it is in it's current form.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

quote:

Originally posted by $iLk:

(it's not even going to be on Mars for God's sake.)

You obviously haven't been paying attention, have you?

I just read that part. It's an improvement... but why the change? Did our *****ing make them realize they needed to be more faithful?

quote:

Did our *****ing make them realize they needed to be more faithful?

I don't think so. I think it had more to do with the fact that iD was heavily involved. So they made sure that - at the very least - some aspects of the game were preserved.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

quote:

Did our *****ing make them realize they needed to be more faithful?

I don't think so. I think it had more to do with the fact that iD was heavily involved. So they made sure that - at the very least - some aspects of the game were preserved.

Thankfully. I am a bit more optimistic at this stage - but I was incredibly po'd when they announced the initial draft.

id is very good at conveying a story based on a purely action game such as in Doom 3.