Carnivale Cancelled

Scrivener

I can't even begin to express how much this bums me out. If the rumors are true, this just ruined my year.

There is a *very* good chance that Carnivale has been cancelled - just before it's 3rd and final season would have started shooting. HBO has left us loyal fans with only 2/3 of the story and enough questions to fill an encyclopedia. Worse, the same reports state that HBO is NOT interested in selling the rights to season 3. Since reading this news, I have already called to cancel my HBO subscription.

If you are unfamiliar with the show, you have done yourself a grave disservice. If you thought Lost was good, you don't even know the meaning of the word. Netflix Season 1 immediately.

I guess being the second most popular show on the channel means nothing to these people. They can rot in hell. I will never spend money on anything HBO again. If, in the small chance, this is some kind of gross misunderstanding, then they deserve the cancellations they have coming for not being forthcoming with the fans.

In the mean time, you can buy a telegram for $14.95 to be delivered to HBO in person. You wouldn't believe how effective this is. Since I live close to their main offices, I'm looking into a local picket as well. I'll keep you posted.

Heres the telegram link:

Western Union Telegram

Address it to HBOs main office:

Chris Albrecht

HBO Entertainment

2500 Broadway, Ste. 400

Santa Monica, CA 90404

Scriv I feel for you I really do, but I aint gettin rid of HBO. There are only a few shows on that are truly IMO appointment tv. The Shield, Deadwood, Lost, Six Feet Under, The Wire, The Soprano's.... see a trend? I hear that the Wire may be done as well and that is bad, but truth is HBO and Fx do series drama better than anyone eles hands down. I am not cutting off my nose to spite my face. i did however cancel my 'script to Showtime but only after murdering Dead Like me, Outer Limits, Odyseey5, Jeremiah, and SG-1 as well as Street Time. They have shown a pattern of not developing and maintaining promising shows and keeping dreck like Soulfood and Family Business for far too long. HBO has shown a commitment to filmmakers and artists both with thier series and their movies. Something the Lord Made, Conspiracy, The upcoming Empire Falls, Sometimes in April, Live from Bagdad, Angels in America, If These Walls could Talk, The Band Played On etc..you really want to get rid of all that?

Carnivale was the singular draw for me. While I sometimes watch Deadwood it's something I can easily love without. I've never enjoyed any of the other HBO shows. I can't stand Sopranos or Six Feet Under. I also detest most of their original movies. As far as I'm concerned they got rid of their one greatest piece of original drama and the ONLY reason I subscribed. I used the money I saved from next months subscription to send the telegram explaining how I plan on spending their money. Several friends have already done the same.

quote:

I also detest most of thier original movies

Scriv come on, detest is a pretty strong word. Did you have HBO before Carnivale came out? If so something must have drawn you to it and enticed you to keep it so long. I know you are upset but to deny that the quality of HBO's movies sounds a little like sour grapes. When you see drivel like Locusts played at primetime on CBS you hve to agree that HBO programming is several cuts above. Alan Rickman, Paul Newman, Ed Harris, Emma Thompson, Stanley Tucci fine actors who consistently choose vehicles based on thier artistic value who feel comfortable making films at HBO. Me thinks you doth protest too much.

Actually no, I didn't have HBO before Carnivale came out. I subscribed immediately after plowing through (and subsequently purchasing) Carnivale Season 1 on DVD - just three weeks before Season 2 premiered.

Carnivale was, honestly, the singular reason I subscribed.

A bit off topic but I did the same thing with my entire cable service. I only got cable for a few channels: Discovery science and BBC america (for the british comedies). Then time-warner started to carry Tech Tv. Ah, those were the good old days. What happened? BBC america became a 27/7 home design channel, Tech TV became G4 (what a piece of crap now) and there's only so many egyptian programs one can watch on the discovery science channel. So out with the cable.

All this boils down to is that the sophisticated television viewer is at the mercy of the average brain challenged television viewer since there are more of them than us and that boils down to higher nielson(spelling) ratings for some particual type of tv program.