Night at the Movies - War of the Worlds

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

quote:

"This anti-'Close Encounters' is a spectacular technical exercise, but in the final analysis it's as loud and soullless a piece of equipment as the aliens' Tripod Death Stars."

-- Frank Swietek, ONE GUY'S OPINION

ouch!

anyways, here's to hope

quote:

Originally posted by Scrivener:

Going in 30mins. There wasn't any midnight showings so I have to settle for 10am this morning. W00t!

10am? OK, thats hardcore. I've been restraining myself all day from running out this afternoon and seeing Batm...ooops, I mean War Of The Worlds. But I'm going to settle for this evening because I have work to do.

Ok so I've seen it TWICE. Steven, I woulda done it a little differently, but my GOD did you do a damn fine job. Especially the first hour...

How this got a PG13 rating only god knows... this is probably the most hardcore PG13 I've ever seen. We're talking Shindlers List levels of terror and carnage here.

I have but three minor complaints, submitted for your discussion pleasure:

1) The voiceover at the beginning of the film is done by Morgan Freeman. He may be a big name and all but the voiceover used in the first teaser trailer (some no-name voice actor) is actually far superior to the one used in the film.

2) The ending - they went with the books ending. IMO this was a mistake, I never liked that particular ending. I can't hold that against the movie though but it does come a little too abruptly.

3) Some of the smaller side-roles were rather poorly acted. For instance, an encounter with a news crew.

And you thought Valve did a good job with Half Life 2... these Tripods are scary as hell. The sounds they make... the way they move... it's spot-on perfect.

The cinematography is also spot-on perfect. The shots are mostly eye-level docudrama type stuff and it has the effect of putting you right in the movie with the actors. Those high crane shots, while they *are* in there, are used very sparingly.

There were also a few parts where the audience started laughing at very sad situations (Cruise breaking down because he can't even feed his kids). I don't know if the audience was releaving pressure or being retarded but happened during both shows... it dosn't really matter much as far as a film review goes but I felt I should mention it (your audiences may act the same).

Dakota Fanning's character can be a little annoying at times but she *is* the unfortunate beligerant product of a broken household. The part where she asks if it's the terrorists is particularly heartwrenching.

In five words [or less]: GO SEE IT RIGHT NOW.

9/10 (docked a point for midmovie drag and abrupt ending)

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

Ok just got back from seeing it.

The lady next to me with her boyfriend Curled up into a ball, pulled her sweater over her head and started sobing.

I am not kidding. She freaked out.

They really put you in the middle of a situation where you feel like "Holy crap this is what it would be like if this actually happened, I need some new underwear"

No one started laughing in the showing i went to.

Masterful job of Armageddon style Science fiction. With masterful Special effects. The Movie starts out, takes off and shoots you straight into the stratosphere, Plummets you back to earth in the last 2 minuets and shoves you back out the door. Where you start walking to your car and looking for odd looking Cloud formations somewhere on the horizon.

(there is one giant plothole imo. which i'll go into in a coupole days after more people have seen it)

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

Ok i looked at some of the negative movie reviews at R.T. And they are just ridiculous. How could anyone give this movie a negative rating? Its based on a well known BOOK for crying out loud!!.

Some of the comments are just retarded. I swear some people are so freaking dumb that they have no business wrighting reviews at all.

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

I meant that some of the reviews were making statements about how Spielburd was trying to make a political statement about "occupation" and crap like that.

ITs freaking moronic. Its a book that has been around for a long time.

People will try to turn anything into a political weapon these days.

I forgot to mention in my review - the new King Kong trailer is worth the price of admission alone. Between this, Batman, and the new Cursed Unrated DVD, I'm in movie heaven right now.

And heck, I still have Serenity, The Warrior, New World, The Island, Brothers Grimm, History of Violence, Narnia, and King Kong to look forward to. It's a good year for film.

OMG!!! OMG!!! OMFG!!! This movie was great. I agree 100% with Scriv's review (yeah, I know, another sign of the apocalypse, but its good to have opposing views and Scriv never fails to impress)

Once I read on R.T that he went with the ending of the book, I knew that would be the film's weak spot. And boy was it weak. The ending was as abrupt as falling off a cliff. One minute you are on the edge of your seat and the next, its over.

The theatre was *packed* and everyone was clapping when it was over. Most of the women around me were - as Scriv said - huddled or curled up in their seats. A bunch of screams emanated every so often.

Man, was this film great!!. I simply cannot believe how Spielberg could have pulled this off. From start to finish, he made you feel like you were there. And even when it was over, you were still left thinking about how it would be if this did in fact happen in real life.

btw, Scriv, I'm not so sure that narration was done by Morgan Freeman. I didn't recognize his slight (Southern?) accent. I thought it sounded like Ozzie Davies (that other Black actor), but I thought he was dead. Can you confirm that it was in fact Morgan?

Gonna go see it again this weekend!! Right after I see Batman.

9.5/10 (docked half a point for the ending)

First half was decent.It really pulled me in from the second half start to last 10 mins.The ending was one of the worst movie endings I've ever seen.It wasn't a bad movie but fails to be memorable because of the (very) lame ending.Was worth watching though..

So I'd rate it: 6.5

Edit:Forgot to mention that the little girl acted really great.I found her reactions the most natural and believable ones in the movie(there were a few exceptions though).Tom Cruise was also great.I agree with Scrivener that some of the side roles were acted poorly.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

I can't wait to see how Speilberg plans on a sequel.

I hope not. Leave it alone please mr Speilberg. Actually, I think we are pretty much safe from a sequel since I don't think he's into sequels all that much.

The movie was awesome except for the god-awful ending. Seriously, wtf. I know that's how the book ends but that was just lame. Something completely unrelated comes out of left field and ends the movie. I think if they cut out the last scene and just had a blank screen with text that said "And then Bazooka-wielding Jesus came from the sky and smote the aliens" it would be equally spontaneous and random and probably more satisfying.