Oscar Nominations 2007

Scrivener

So yesterday morning the world was subjected to the most ridiculous, inflamatory Oscar Nominations list in the history of the Academy. Excellent early year releases were forgotton, other movies snubbed for drunken outbursts by their directors, and yet other movies - generally accepted by critics and the public alike as being mediocre politically-motivated crap - take precious nomination slots.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/31338

Dreamgirls walks away with EIGHT nominations... in one case, 3 nominations in the same category. That category being "Best Original Song." Wait? Did I see the same movie? Did ANYONE see the same movie as the people responsible for these nominations? The movie is crap. Chicago-level crap. The songs are nowhere NEAR as good as the originals that inspired them. The acting is broadway level over-the-top CRAP, and I generally did not enjoy the movie at all. If you enjoyed a second of this abortion of a stage-to-screen adaptation, you're either a self-flagelating liberal critic or someone who will see any "black movie" out there just because you're sick of seeing all the "white movies" (you know who you are). Really. Jesus H Lopez!

It wasn't a complete waste, though. Scorsese got his nod for The Departed (now lets see a win)... and Children of Men got it's Cinematography nod.

However, where the HELL is The Fountain for Visual Effects, Script, or Original Score? Why in the NINE HELLS is The Queen nominated for Achievement in Directing? That spot belongs to Children of Men... not a movie about the bloody queen and her reaction (or lack thereof) to Princess Di's death. Is there no justice?

Again, WHY IS DREAMGIRLS in the category for best Art Direction? WHAT? It's a bloody stage play minimally adapted to screen. Art Direction, my ass. Why is Hollywood so in love with this movie???

Babel was an overrated, obnoxiously slow piece of political crap that absolutely nobody liked. Believe me, I'm not alone in my total indifference to this exercise in cinematic mediocrity - I have yet to meet someone who saw, and enjoyed, Babel.

Also, why is Apocalypto not in Art Direction or Costume Design? I'll tell you why... Hollywood hates Mel Gibson. You wonder why he goes on drunken tirades... this is why. Hollywood is predominantly jewish - and they hate him for making The Passion of the Christ... and they will punish him for that the rest of his life.

While we're on the topic of Apocalypto, where the hell is Rudy Youngblood's nomination for Best Actor in a Leading Role? His absense from the lists is a bloody crime... but again... he was in a MEL GIBSON movie - so regardless of how amazing he was, he deserves to be snubbed and ignored.

To top off this circus of liberal masturbation, we have Ellen Degeneres hosting the awards this year. Great. I wonder if the academy is trying to make a point or something? We can't possibly have a host who is genuinely funny without being a poster boy for some left-wing agenda... because we need more black hosts, and gay hosts, and women hosts - even if they aren't entertaining at all. Sorry Billy Crystal. Sorry Steve Martin. Sorry Conan O'Brien. You're just not extremist enough to host the Oscars any more!

Bloody hell. I hope Battlestar Galactica is on that night, because I sure as hell WONT be watching the Oscars.

Why?

Because Hollywood is corrupt. If the people who run the oscers are bribbed enough they'll put whatever movie they are asked to put on.

The only movie that I beleive deserves to be in the Oscars is Letters from Iwojima. A hell of a lot better overall and VERY well done.

• 3 weeks later...

If you dispise the choices the Academy makes so much, why attach so much importance to what they acknowledge? They seem to stand for everything you hate, but you are resentful and dissapointed by what they choose to exclude. Methinks you doth protest too much. I put more stake and interest into the indie award shows as well as the SAG. Most of the Academy voters havent even seen the films they vote for. Get over it!

scriv you take movies kind of way too seriously. forgetting the fact that it was nominated for awards, if someone found dream girls entertaining that doesn't make them any less intelligent than you. It just makes them different. Different taste, different likes/dislikes.

you go way beyond your own opinion. and I second race's request. you're quite over the top.

FYI, the Oscars are like the movie geek superbowl - so yeah, I take it too seriously. On a different note, RB, I was pointing out that the Academy has become more concerned with tired politics than being entertaining or fair. It's certainly not beneath me to point out the things most people prefer to ignore - especially when they're true.

Anyhoo, I have no idea what we were talking about. Just had to defend my internet honour, is all.

• 2 weeks later...