The Politics of BIG Business

This Times Article

gives an indication of the Corporate- governmental morass that the American people are sinking in.

Disclaimer: I do not subscribe to the views and opinions of Michael Moore, but, as a supposedly free American Citizen, he has the "right" to openly voice his opinions, whether they be oratory or cinematic in nature. No matter what anyone thinks of them.

The conclusion is this ; Corporate America wipes its' feet on the Bill of Rights on a daily basis and our governments back it. I see this one headed for the Supreme Court.

It's really sad to even entertain the idea that "Big Money" controls our freedom.

You are only as free as your bank account will allow.

Lambaste away.....

quote:

Originally posted by Wolferz:

1:Corporate America wipes its' feet on the Bill of Rights on a daily basis and our governments back it.

2:It's really sad to even entertain the idea that "Big Money" controls our freedom.

You are only as free as your bank account will allow.

1:Our government is guilty of this as well not just corporations. So of course our government is going to back whatever corporations do because it'll take the heat of them.

2:That's the way it has always been. You've got the cash you go to washington and lobby the politicians for your own social restrictions or agenda. Some lobby types comes to mind are cigarettes, food, games, broadcasting etc.. The one that really ticked me off was the food one IE Mcdonald's super size fries. Now comon! I weigh 165 and have never gone above 175 no matter how many super sized fries I ate in a day which is just one order since it was just right amount for me. Now with the banning of it I'll have to order two large fries to make up the difference which will now cost me more and give me more fries to eat. Don't you think that overweight people are going to do the same? Banning the super size isn't going to stop them eating. It's just insane. The only thing they did was take away my freedom of choice. Why should I be made to suffer cause of some idiot who can't control their eating. If you people aren't careful, alot of things will be taken away very sneakily under the guise of "it's in your best interest that we take this freedom away" which I've advocated they were going to start doing since the cigarette bans cropped up and they got away with it. It's amazing what you can get away with if you got the cash to back it up.

I've used this cigarette ban analogy before and I'll use it again.

A drafty runs from the front line back to his command post

"Private what are doing back here?"

"Sir, it's a mess up there. All my friends are getting blown to bits! Could I please have a pack of cigarettes? Just to calm my nerves."

"No private. Your government in it's wisdom specificaly states it will not supply cigarettes

because they are the leading cause of death. Now get back to the front line!"

So much for the freedom you speak of.

That is oh so true, LIS.

It was the big corporate money lobby from Big Oil and Big Pharmaceuticals that persuaded DC to ban Cannibus and it's cousin Hemp.

Recent medical research has shown that Cannibus has no addictive effects and actually provides better pain relief than Aspirin and most Opium based pain killers. Even so, it is classified above Heroin on the governments' harmful substance chart. And we all know Hemp makes better rope and clothing than Nylon ever could, Using only the oil needed to run the farm equipment used for tilling it.(insert double middle finger Graemlin here) directed at the Big money behind Big Government.

Bayer(the man who brought us mustard gas and holocaust human experimentation) cried because he couldn't sell enough aspirin, and DuPont cried because he couldn't sell enough of his new Nylon wonder material, due everyone's preference for goods made from Hemp fiber.

So our steadfast Stewards in DC smiled and said, " Don't worry boys, we'll fix everything for ya." Right before they deposited the big campaign checks in their accounts.

quote:

This forum is for intelligent discussions about politics & region. No flaming. No rudeness. And no Taliban!

I like Wolferz. please actually argue against him instead of being rude.

Big corporates DO have money to throw at politicians.

quote:

Originally posted by Wolferz:

And we all know Hemp makes better rope and clothing than Nylon ever could, Using only the oil needed to run the farm equipment used for tilling it.(insert double middle finger Graemlin here) directed at the Big money behind Big Government.

Bayer(the man who brought us mustard gas and holocaust human experimentation) cried because he couldn't sell enough aspirin, and DuPont cried because he couldn't sell enough of his new Nylon wonder material, due everyone's preference for goods made from Hemp fiber.

So our steadfast Stewards in DC smiled and said, " Don't worry boys, we'll fix everything for ya." Right before they deposited the big campaign checks in their accounts.

Fabrics

Hemp Industry (Thailand) Co.,Ltd.

The Alternative Fiber Pulp Mill

Potential of Industrial Hemp to Displace Fiber from Forests

Hemp for fibre, food and fuel

"Hemp oil is so versatile that it can be used instead of diesel fuel or you can fry tempura in it. Before petroleum and electric lightbulbs, lamps burning hemp seed oil illuminated homes around the world. One ha of seed hemp produces about 1000-1500 litres of hemp oil plus several thousand kg of cellulose-rich fibre. One ha of fibre hemp produces about 8000-11000 kg of dry biomass.

As a renewable resource from living plants hemp does not contribute to the greenhouse effect. The growing plants absorb as much CO2 as will later be released when oil or other plant matter is burnt. Unlike fossil fuels (oil, coal, gas) or nuclear fuels hemp could supply us with raw materials for thousands of years, without ever changing our climate and without producing waste that remains radioactive for millions of years."

Have a good read I did. Do I smell fear from some industries?

Lost in Space said:

quote:

Have a good read I did. Do I smell fear from some industries?

ADM could make a tidy profit on their corporate farms with Hemp. But they grow corn to make methanol and corn syrup instead.

Next time I make a trip back home I think I'll take a ride into the Southern Indiana countryside and talk to some of the farmers who grow corn for the ADM Corporation.

I'm talking HUGE tracts of land under duress that ADM bought up.

I suspect that Commodity prices were controlled by the government for ADM, for the sole purpose of running individual farmers and co-ops out of business and into the corporate jaws of ADM. Thus making free farmers, who had handed the land down for generations, employees of ADM.

They probably get paid squat for their labors.

I will research this.

I kinda have the picture of these farms being like the old mining towns here in PA.

Wages for workers here in my neighborhood is controlled by a group of people in an organization called CAN-DO

They own and develop the local industrial parks.

They have regular meetings with all the Corporate big wigs who have facilities in their parks for the purpose of setting wages for their employees. The CAN-DO people are still in the old coal mine mentality. "Keep worker wages low so they can't afford a better education."

Most can barely make a living.

The Hershy Corporation,(yup Chocolate bars) was going to build a plant here and pay good wages. CAN-DO told them the wages they were "allowed" to pay. Hershy decided against building the plant and went elsewhere. This has happened numerous times.

We have renamed CAN-DO to CAN-DON'T.

With this line of thinking, CAN-DON'T found themselves with a large problem. Not enough people to work the low wage jobs they created.

Many people sought work in the larger cities to the south, other industrial parks not under their control or they outright packed up and moved out.The Real Estate folks have had a field day. The local churches were enlisted to import Hispanic peoples from all over to fill these low wage positions. Most from Mexico.

I have seen whole families pile out of one car at a place I worked.

They don't buy property here, only rent a place where several families live and share the expenses.

Their children are educated in our school system, placing this burden on local land owners with property taxes and more local income taxes on everyone.

What really sucks is Milady and I don't have any school age children, and if we did, they would be home schooled like Jags' kids. The schools suck that bad!

ok, enough, I'm rambling.LOL

Plain and simple, Big Business is what controls our country now. Not our elected Representatives.

Way past time to start sending a stern message to the Overseers.

What's good for the Boardroom is good for America.

Seems to be a quote. Seems to be from the 1800's. Anyone familiar with this? I am not fond of posting stuff I only partially remember but this is tickling my brain something fierce and seems to be appropriate for this thread.

Here, ill simplify the situation to you.

I'll be the goverment. one of you is pro-cool aid , the other one is anti-coolaid.

By the end of the day, whichever one of you puts enough money on my pockets AND backs up their case with the most positive public relations campaign will win my approval...because i'll sure as heck act dumb and innocent if coolaid proves to be harmful or fails to be harmful and dump the blame on you and the case you put in front of me.

With that being said, bring in the interns!

quote:

Originally posted by Tac:

Here, ill simplify the situation to you.

I'll be the goverment. one of you is pro-cool aid , the other one is anti-coolaid.

By the end of the day, whichever one of you puts enough money on my pockets AND backs up their case with the most positive public relations campaign will win my approval...because i'll sure as heck act dumb and innocent if coolaid proves to be harmful or fails to be harmful and dump the blame on you and the case you put in front of me.

With that being said, bring in the interns!

LOL,you are just too good sometimes Tac....

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr Chavik:

What's good for the Boardroom is good for America.

A similar quote comes from Al Capp's comic strip, Li'l Abner: "What's good for General Bullmooose is good for the U.S.A." The general in question represented corporate America (the Boardroom).

Capp may have taken your quote from Nast or some other editorial cartoonist of the 1800s and then paraphrased it.

[Additional Info] Yup. Here's a link ... it should clarify the issue. Evidently, Thomas Nast didn't say it ... but I like him anyway.

[ 05-07-2004, 01:14 PM: Message edited by: Marvin ]