Bin Laden: Another Attack Can Be Avoided

Link

quote:

By MAGGIE MICHAEL, Associated Press Writer

CAIRO, Egypt - Osama bin Laden, in a statement directed to the American people days before the presidential election, says the United States must stop threatening the security of Muslims if it wants to avoid another Sept. 11-style attack.

In the video aired Friday, the al-Qaida leader acknowledges for the first time that he ordered the Sept. 11 attacks and said he did so because of injustices against the Lebanese and Palestinians by Israel and the United States.

Bin Laden refrained from directly warning of new attacks in the video, his first in more than a year, although he said "there are still reasons to repeat what happened.

"Your security is not in the hands of Kerry, Bush or al-Qaida. Your security is in your own hands," bin Laden said, referring to the president and his Democratic opponent. "Any state that does not mess with our security has naturally guaranteed its own security."

In what appeared to be conciliatory language, bin Laden said he wanted to explain why he ordered the suicide airline hijackings that hit the World Trade Center and the Pentagon (news - web sites) so Americans would know how to act to prevent another attack.

"To the American people, my talk to you is about the best way to avoid another Manhattan," he said. "I tell you: Security is an important element of human life and, free people do not give up their security."

After the video was aired, President Bush (news - web sites) said that "Americans will not be intimidated" by bin Laden. Sen. John Kerry criticized Bush for failing to capture bin Laden earlier and said that "I can run a more effective war on terror."

The political impact of the tape could cut both ways. It bolsters Bush's argument that the world is a dangerous place and plays to his strength as commander in chief in fighting the war on terror, but it also underscores that his administration has failed to capture or kill America's No. 1 enemy more than three years after the terror attacks on New York and Washington.

Bin Laden is thought to be hiding in the mountains along the Pakistan-Afghanistan (news - web sites) border. The video, broadcast on Al-Jazeera television, showed him with a long, gray beard, wearing traditional white robes, a turban and a golden cloak, standing behind a table with papers and in front of a plain, brown curtain.

His hands were steady and he appeared healthy.

The Bush administration said it believes the videotape is authentic and was made recently, noting that bin Laden referred to 1,000 U.S. military deaths in Iraq (news - web sites) ÔÇö which happened in early September.

White House press secretary Scott McClellan said the administration did not plan to raise the nation's threat level for now. The U.S. official said the 18-minute tape ÔÇö which has English subtitles, though not in the portion shown on Al-Jazeera ÔÇö lacks an explicit threat and repeats well-worn themes.

Al-Jazeera, which is based in Qatar, broadcast about seven minutes of the tape. The station's spokesman, Jihad Ali Ballout, said Al-Jazeera aired what was "newsworthy and relevant" and refused to describe the unaired portions, including whether they included any threats. Ballout said the station received the tape Friday but would not say how.

Before the tape was aired, the State Department asked the government of Qatar to discourage Al-Jazeera from broadcasting it, a senior State Department official said.

In the video, bin Laden accused Bush of misleading Americans by saying the attack was carried out because al-Qaida members "hate freedom." The terrorist leader said his followers have left alone countries that do not threaten Muslims.

"We fought you because we are free ... and want to regain freedom for our nation. As you undermine our security we undermine yours," bin Laden said.

He said he was first inspired to attack the United States by the 1982 Israeli invasion of Lebanon in which towers and buildings in Beirut were destroyed in the siege of the capital.

"While I was looking at these destroyed towers in Lebanon, it sparked in my mind that the tyrant should be punished with the same and that we should destroy towers in America, so that it tastes what we taste and would be deterred from killing our children and women," he said.

"God knows that it had not occurred to our mind to attack the towers, but after our patience ran out and we saw the injustice and inflexibility of the American-Israeli alliance toward our people in Palestine and Lebanon, this came to my mind," he said.

Bin Laden suggested Bush was slow to react to the Sept. 11 attacks, giving the hijackers more time than they expected. At the time of the attacks, the president was listening to schoolchildren in Florida reading a book.

"It never occurred to us that the commander in chief of the American armed forces would leave 50,000 of his citizens in the two towers to face these horrors alone," he said, referring to the number of people who worked at the World Trade Center.

"It appeared to him (Bush) that a little girl's talk about her goat and its butting was more important than the planes and their butting of the skyscrapers. That gave us three times the required time to carry out the operations, thank God," he said.

Excluding the hijackers, the Sept. 11 attacks killed 2,749 people at the World Trade Center, 184 at the Pentagon and 40 in Pennsylvania.

In planning the attacks, bin Laden said he told Mohammed Atta, one of the hijackers, that the strikes had to be carried out "within 20 minutes before Bush and his administration noticed."

Bin Laden compared the Bush administration to repressive Arab regimes, "half of which are ruled by the military and the other half are ruled by the sons of kings and presidents."

He said the resemblance became clear when Bush's father was president and visited Arab countries.

"He wound up being impressed by the royal and military regimes and envied them for staying decades in their positions and embezzling the nation's money with no supervision," bin Laden said.

"He passed on tyranny and oppression to his son, and they called it the Patriot Act, under the pretext of fighting terror. Bush the father did well in placing his sons as governors and did not forget to pass on the expertise in fraud from the leaders of the (Mideast) region to Florida to use it in critical moments."

The image of bin Laden reading a statement was dramatically different from the few other videos of the al-Qaida leader that have emerged since the Sept. 11 attacks.

In the last videotape, issued Sept. 10, 2003, bin Laden is seen walking through rocky terrain with his top deputy Ayman al-Zawahri, both carrying automatic rifles. In a taped message issued at the same time, bin Laden praises the "great damage to the enemy" on Sept. 11 and mentions five hijackers by name.

In December 2001, the Pentagon released a videotape in which bin Laden is shown at a dinner with associates in Afghanistan on Nov. 9, 2001, saying the destruction of the Sept. 11 attacks exceeded even his "optimistic" calculations.

But in none of his previous messages, audio or video, did bin Laden directly state that he ordered the attacks.

U.S. authorities have long said they believe bin Laden is hiding in a rugged, mountainous tribal region of Pakistan that borders Afghanistan, but there has been no firm evidence of his whereabouts for three years.

The last audiotape purportedly from bin Laden came in April. The speaker on the tape, which CIA analysts said likely was the al-Qaida leader, offered a truce to European nations if they pull troops out of Muslim countries. The tape referred to the March 22 assassination by Israel of Hamas founder Sheik Ahmed Yassin.

He murders 3000 civilians and this is what he has to say

Sorry, but I don't think this war will stop... 3000 live's are on his hands and I pray for him to die one of these days

Also Jamotto, next time you post an article, please post the links that are IN that article

Osama was amazed that we did what we did, he still doesn't believe that we attacked and literally smashed his organization.

He never gives a tape until AFTER an attack, and yet he did it here.

This does nothing but help Bush in this election, the exact opposite of what he intended.

Kerry will play footsy, Bush will not.

Osama is scared that Bush will get reelected, I find it rather amusing.

His day is coming, maybe soon, maybe later, but he had been neutered, and he does NOT like it.

quote:

Originally posted by Jaguar:

...Osama is scared that Bush will get reelected...

I disagree.

Osama Bin Laden is a huge member of a family that has amazingly large investments in the United States. I believe Bin Laden wants Bush to win - why else put a video up right before the election? To scare the public into voting for Bush.

But, the reason I mention his family is because if the Bin Laden family pulled all of their financial support out of the US, we'd be in deep s%&t.

I'm voting for Kerry but I don't think any president will be able to easily kill a family member of a family that has hundreds of billions of dollars invested in the United States.

Kerry might not care and get rid of him anyway. Bush will pussyfoot. He did it before in Afghanastan, he'll do it again, all at the expense of american lives, and all while Rumsfield smiles and makes jokes.

Right Blerm, keep telling yourself that. I guess you've failed to notice that Saddam is no longer in power amd most of the Al-quadia leaders are already behind bar's

Nothing new, although I still can't believe ANYONE would think that Kerry will do better, since Kerry wants to get the UN involved.. The UN, who are the one's RESPONSIBLE for this mess, if they hadn't of put so many resolutions on Saddam and had given us the go ahead then perhaps we wouldn't be in this situation

Or, rather, if Clinton had accepted the offer to accept Osama.. this wouldn't be happening, but you probably havn't heard of that huh? Typical, main stream media (liberal) doesn't like to report stuff that is against there candidates

quote:

He underscored it was U.S. foreign policy that led to the 9/11 attacks, saying, "Bush says and claims, that we hate freedom, let him tell us then, 'Why did we not attack Sweden?' "

ROTFLMAO, Sweden? He actually said Sweden. What the hell point would you even attempt to make by attacking them? Sweden is not a world power or in the world spot light like the U.S. is.

No, you want to make a name for yourself you attack the big guy on the block nothing more nothing less. Ah, he's just another self important megalomaniac.

quote:

Original Post by Kalshion:

The UN, who are the one's RESPONSIBLE for this mess

You got that right. Amazing how bin laden didn't mention anything about the U.N.. Look at the mess in the countries they are in now. Not doing a very good job. Shows bin laden's lack of vision to see the whole picture. He's so fixated on U.S. he's missing the big picture and that is the U.N.. There needs to be a major shakeup of that organization. Like in the apprentice "You're fired!". Another thought, maybe Bin Laden thinks because the U.N. is here in the U.S. we should be held responsible. I think it's time to relocate the U.N. over to europe, get it off U.S. soil, and let some other country deal with heat for a change. Sounds good to me.

OK WTF? On Larry King Live, Walter Kronkite said that Karl Rove probably set Bin Laden up for this video tape.

OK? what the hell is that?

These people are absolutely LOSING their minds...

quote:

Originally posted by Kalshion:

Right Blerm, keep telling yourself that. I guess you've failed to notice that Saddam is no longer in power amd most of the Al-quadia leaders are already behind bar's

I am aware that Saddam is no longer in power. But I'm also aware that he didn't attack us. Osama and his groupies did, and though it is true that 75% (or more) of the members of Al Qaeda responsible for the attack on our soil are behind bars or dead, they have all been replaced by even angrier and more disillusioned people. Their numbers have actually grown, and thanks to George Bush, they have a haven of a theatre to play in called Iraq.

...and I can't think of any other reason why a man smart enough to take down the tallest buildings in the most powerful country on the planet from 12000 miles away doesn't know that the americans have a presidential election this year.

Bush has ties to Osama's family. Kerry does not. Bush is good at perpetuating fear. Kerry is not.

I'd say good timing on Osama's part, especially if he wants Bush to win.

Bush has tie's to Osama's Family?

Where the hell did you hear that crap? The main stream media?

Kerry has put MORE fear into america than Bush, after all.. it WAS Kerry who said that Bush would reinstate the Draft, where in the fact the commitee said that the draft would NOT be reinstated, and that Bush said NOTHING of the sort

Again, you're being misinformed... but that's nothing new, the democrat's and the media are good at that

I agree that the media is good at misinformation and don't put it past democrats OR republicans as that's how politicians operate, perhaps out of some perceived necessity.

I try not to pay attention to main stream media, except for entertainment. The real juicy stuff takes work to get at, and unfortunately I don't always have the time to dig it up. I think the system is designed to be that way on purpose sometimes...

I was under the impression that Kerry was stating that Bush would have to reinstate a draft in order to fufill the troop requirement for his little Iraq-masterpeice.

I'm quite sure Bush never said he would instate a draft. That would be suicide.

quote:

Originally posted by Blerm:

I agree that the media is good at misinformation and don't put it past democrats OR republicans as that's how politicians operate, perhaps out of some perceived necessity.

I try not to pay attention to main stream media, except for entertainment. The real juicy stuff takes work to get at, and unfortunately I don't always have the time to dig it up. I think the system is designed to be that way on purpose sometimes...

I was under the impression that Kerry was stating that Bush would have to reinstate a draft in order to fufill the troop requirement for his little Iraq-masterpeice.

I'm quite sure Bush never said he would instate a draft. That would be suicide.

First off, the BEST way to demoralize the military would be to reinstate the draft, 2nd of all, Kerry would reinstate the draft, JUST TO DO THAT.

ANd Iraq is indeed a MASTERPIECE, it has been masterful from the beginning, and continues to work masterfully.

The Iraqi people are behind us at a rate of 80%, which is an INSANE amount.

You poor uninformed people, TALK TO THE FRICKING TROOPS!!!

Maybe then, you'll have a clue...

I admit I can find evidence of Kerry elluding that Bush would reinstate the draft but what leads you to believe Kerry would reinstate it himself?

I've seem to recall Bush saying the notion of reinstating the draft is ridiculous. I also seem to recall Kerry stating he would not reinstate the draft.

Honestly, I don't see either president doing it. Just doesn't make sense.

It sounds like you have an access to our troops that I do not. I envy you that.

I also can't decide if your anger is directed towards me or just a perceived ignorance on my part.

Blerm

It help's when you know people, I myself know that my sister and brother are both in Iraq. Thats how I can keep up to date on what goes on, it's also how I know when the media is lieing (which is 99% of the time)

Jamotto, I know what you just tried to do.. you tried to impliment Bush as the one who murdered them... sorry, nice try.. but it didn't work. That above statement was pointed at Osama

quote:

Originally posted by Blerm:

I admit I can find evidence of Kerry elluding that Bush would reinstate the draft but what leads you to believe Kerry would reinstate it himself?

I've seem to recall Bush saying the notion of reinstating the draft is ridiculous. I also seem to recall Kerry stating he would not reinstate the draft.

Honestly, I don't see either president doing it. Just doesn't make sense.

It sounds like you have an access to our troops that I do not. I envy you that.

I also can't decide if your anger is directed towards me or just a perceived ignorance on my part.

Sorry Blerm, but I get a bit aggravated with people that state things, but obviously are stating something they heard, instead of going and getting the facts themselves.

It irritates me NO END.

I make it a point to go get the facts, first hand if possible, 2nd hand if needed, and official reports etc where possible.

I do NOT and NEVER believe the media, in any, way, shape or Form. The right wing, which is very small, NOR the elft wing, which is HUGE.

I look at a story, then look for the FACTS, this is supposed to be a REAL journalists job, but I have yet to see a REAL journalist in the media, it is ALWAYS biased, and ALWAYS lacking in factual evidence.

I am stuck with going out and getting the info for myself, that means harassing my friends in Iraq, civilian and military, that means harassing my friends in other organizations as well, I don't like it, but I HAVE TO GET THE FACTS.

And the nonsense that you are spouting forth is NOT factual.

If I can get the facts, then you sure can as well, and it irritates me when I see someone state something that is not factual. It DRIVES me crazy as a matter of fact.

OK, so upon trolling around here, I didn't think I'd actually get involved in a discussion... but I must upon hearing more of that "Bush will reinstate the draft" rubbish.

Fact: Bush has promised to NOT reinstate the draft.

Fact: Kerry claims Bush will indeed reinstate the draft.

Fact: Kerry justifies his claim that Bush will reinstate the draft because the military will not be able to fulfill its recruitment demands.

Fact: During the debates, Kerry PROMISED to add 40,000 active duty troops to the military.

Question: How's Kerry going to add 40,000 troops without a draft if recruitment demands are not being filled?

Question: If Kerry's saying Bush will reinstate the draft, but Kerry's promising to add troops that he says are NOT POSSIBLE to get WITHOUT the draft, who's really promising the draft? Bush, or Kerry?

Did Kerry flip-flop yet again or does he just not know what he's talking about?

PS: Someone tell Derek to vote Bush this time. Last time, as I recall he went Dem and Florida was a big mess as a result. Heh.

quote:

Originally posted by aramike:

PS: Someone tell Derek to vote Bush this time. Last time, as I recall he went Dem and Florida was a big mess as a result. Heh.

Nice try. I don't see what the Dems had to do with a localized farce in Florida. Besides, IIRC, the Supreme Court decided the election, gave it to Bush and landed us where we are today.

Anyway, no way am I getting dragged into this silly debate. Neither of these two jokers vying for the White House, can be or should be trusted. Period.

I for one, as an undecided, am highly tempted to vote for Bush as the lesser of the two evils. My reasoning being that he's had four years to **** up Clinton's record for the country; so we might as well give him another four to clean it up. I mean, just how much damage could he possibly do? Then again.

To me, thus far, Kerry is totally and utterly clueless; while making promises he absolutely, positively has NO hopes of accomplishing inside of four years. So, we're going to be stuck with Kerry spending his first term cleaning up Bush's supposed mess; then trying to get re-elected in another four years in order to do, well, do what?

As of this momemt, I remain an undecided. Now if there were no term limits and Clinton were back on the ballot, I'd have voted the first chance early voting opened. Say what you will about Clinton, but in his eight years, he did a good job; all of which Bush has spent four years undoing.

I have a ton of gripes, a few being...

I'm 42 years old, never, ever been sick enough to go to the hospital apart from going for yearly physicals; never ever filed a health insurance claim; have a five year old daughter and a 38 yr fiance - why the hell am I paying $318 a month for top medical insurance and with a $1,000 deductible?

Almost a year go, we paid up my daughter's college tuition via the Florida pre-paid tuition program. we also setup another separate standby 529 plan to shore up the shortfall if tuition goes up by the time she turns 18. Two months ago, we find that we have to keep contributing to that second 529 plan if we want to ensure that our daughter gets a sound education.

And if I don't keep working until the day I literally drop dead, there is a very good chance that my SS contributions will amount to squat.

Forget about anyone retiring at 55; now you have to add - according to analysts - a minimum of 11 more years to that. Then of course, my daughter will be born with a debt (the govt. deficit) that she had absolutely nothing to do with.

I come from a military family background (heck, my US Army sister is still part of Bush's White House detail, last time I checked) and know friends of friends who have died in both Afghanistan and Iraq (and come to think of it, Lebanon back in the eighties). My opinion of the war with Iraq remains the same: it had to be done; and IMO, Bush did the right thing though he went about doing it the wrong way.

...I'd better stop there.

Guest Remo Williams

quote:

I for one, as an undecided, am highly tempted to vote for Bush as the lesser of the two evils. My reasoning being that he's had four years to **** up Clinton's record for the country; so we might as well give him another four to clean it up. I mean, just how much damage could he possibly do? Then again.

Sounds like me this election. I'm not thrilled with the choice so go for the one that will cause the least amount of damage, hopefully.

quote:

Originally posted by aramike:

OK, so upon trolling around here, I didn't think I'd actually get involved in a discussion... but I must upon hearing more of that "Bush will reinstate the draft" rubbish.

Fact: Bush has promised to NOT reinstate the draft.

Fact: Kerry claims Bush will indeed reinstate the draft.

Fact: Kerry justifies his claim that Bush will reinstate the draft because the military will not be able to fulfill its recruitment demands.

Fact: During the debates, Kerry PROMISED to add 40,000 active duty troops to the military.

Question: How's Kerry going to add 40,000 troops without a draft if recruitment demands are not being filled?

Question: If Kerry's saying Bush will reinstate the draft, but Kerry's promising to add troops that he says are NOT POSSIBLE to get WITHOUT the draft, who's really promising the draft? Bush, or Kerry?

Did Kerry flip-flop yet again or does he just not know what he's talking about?

He has no clue what he is talking about... so you're right

The only way he(kerry) will get 40,000 troops in the time aloted is to reinstate the draft

Hmm, I'd argue with SC... but I don't want to risk seeing the outside of the cruiser.. or scrubbing the engine manafolds

quote:

Originally posted by Jaguar:

Sorry Blerm, but I get a bit aggravated with people that state things, but obviously are stating something they heard, instead of going and getting the facts themselves.

It irritates me NO END.

I make it a point to go get the facts, first hand if possible, 2nd hand if needed, and official reports etc where possible.

I do NOT and NEVER believe the media, in any, way, shape or Form. The right wing, which is very small, NOR the elft wing, which is HUGE.

I look at a story, then look for the FACTS, this is supposed to be a REAL journalists job, but I have yet to see a REAL journalist in the media, it is ALWAYS biased, and ALWAYS lacking in factual evidence.

I am stuck with going out and getting the info for myself, that means harassing my friends in Iraq, civilian and military, that means harassing my friends in other organizations as well, I don't like it, but I HAVE TO GET THE FACTS.

And the nonsense that you are spouting forth is NOT factual.

If I can get the facts, then you sure can as well, and it irritates me when I see someone state something that is not factual. It DRIVES me crazy as a matter of fact.

I admit Kerry is no blazing hero, but I fail to understand how people believe Bush is a shining star of hope. The guy's tanked the country good and you can get all the 'facts' you want that say he's the second coming, but the truth is if you believe he's brought the economy to the lowest deficit in years and if you believe he's done an outstanding job retaliating against a brutal terrorist attack and believe he hasn't alienated our country just a little bit more and that jobs haven't been lost and that health care costs haven't gone up...

Then, well, you deserve him, and you're as ill-fit to make a decision as he is. I've seen videos of soldiers on the front line who are absolutely befuddled by Bush's actions. I've read and witnessed enough facts to know that Bush screwed it up. The fact that you can't see that makes me sad. Will Kerry do any better? I believe he just might but really won't know for sure, but I gotta take a chance, coz Bush ain't cuttin' it.

And just because you state something as fact doesn't mean it is. Whether I hear it on TV or I hear you say it, I sure as hell don't take it as fact. I look it up myself, when I can, and I'm always open to learning that I have been wrong, but your over-the-top confidence inspired perhaps because you know a few soldiers and talk to them doesn't mean you know squat. Just coz they're soldiers, doesn't make em experts. God bless them but they're just as human as the people in this forum, we'll, perhaps a little more, seeing as how they're fighting for my freedom to write this, though wait! Nobody in Iraq actually ever threatened that right to begin with, but whatever. Bush is happy. The president who obliterated billions of dollars in surplus on a war against a country that didn't attack us is doing a fine job.

You get irritated to NO END, I think, because you like to. Get irritated. Stay irritated. Blast people and go have a candy bar - call it a good day.

I'm voting for Kerry tomorrow, because Bush and his crew can't be trusted and because the last Democrat in the White House did an outstanding job and NOT because I think Kerry is wonderful.

The poll results that I've read (and I didn't go out and poll people myself, so I guess the poll results I'm reading are MOST LIKELY RUBBISH ) seem to indicate that Bush is ahead (+/- % error, etc.), and that's fine, because you know what?

No matter what president is elected, it will not effect my life at all. Won't stop me from having food on my table, a roof over my head or a car to drive in and money to go have fun and take care of myself.

It WILL effect the future of this country and the advancement of the human race, and countless other lives, and with Bush, it's sure to be a negative effect, whereas with Kerry, it's 50/50, or maybe 60/40.

And just for kicks, the next person who states they believe Kerry will instate the draft will receive $100 cash from me if he does (assuming he's elected). I'll send it wherever you want, and I'm good for it. SC has my name on file and can ban me if I don't pay up (assuming he doesn't ban me before then).

C'mon people, Bush is NOT doing a wonderful job. Wake up.

Clinton did an outstanding job?

Yeah, right, whatever.....

He destroyed an economy that was going gangbusters, and it took him 6 years to do it, the recession started in October of 2000, his tax hike went through 6 years before.

Clinton single handedly with a Democrat congress destroyed Reagans economy, and Bush has SAVED it, AGAIN.

Clinton was riding Reagans coattails, and then moved in and cut them.

Clinton was a terrible president, who did NOT have a clue as to what he was doing.

Why do you think we got 911?

Because of Bush? YEAH RIGHT...ROFLMAO!!!

BTW, did you read This post? Or did you ignoore it, because it didn't have the news in it that you wanted.

Anyone that sees these numbers and then still says with a straight face that Bush has done a bad job, is a total partisan and doesn't care about REAL facts.

I voted for Bush, because he is doing an OUTSTANDING job as president of the United States. Our economy has grown legs and is running like a sprinter, our employment is the highest in history, and unemployment is lower then when Clinton was in office.

Terrorist attacks on our buildings and facilities around the world have literally stopped, except in Fallujah, and Osama Bin Laden is whining like a baby.

Bush has done an OUTSTANDING job, and will continue to do and OUTSTANDING job over the next 4 years.

Kerry was a traitor in the 70's and he is a traitor now. Once a traitor, ALWAYS a traitor.

Vote for who ever you feel like Blerm, but if Kerry get's alerted.. and terrorist attacks start up again in this country... I'll know who to blame for voting him into office, cause you've conviently ignored EVERY fact on this forum

Clinton did not do an excellent job, if he had. 9/11 WOULDN'T have occured

The fact that clinton IGNORED the CIS intel briefing every morning is a stunning fact that shows that Clinton didn't care about american safety

Clinton is no hero, nor was he a good president

Kerry? Hell.. Kerry is nothing more than a socialist, communist, traitor who will do anything for power