Next Installment: Why is the Media Lying about DP World and the Ports?

Why is the Media Lying about DP World and the Ports?

Jaguar

2/24/06

OK, before you say, ÔÇ£What are you talking about Jag? What lies?ÔÇØ Read on.

Lets get into the meat of the matter.

What are ALL the headlines that youÔÇÖre hearing?

ABC News, on the hour, every hour, ÔÇ£The debate grows over giving a United Arab Emirates owned company control of 6 major US ports.

Reuters, as posted on Barking Moonbat, Arabs See Islamophobia Behind US Uproar Over Ports Deal Now first line of the article, U.S. lawmakers strident opposition to a Dubai company controlling major seaports

Google: UAE company controlling 6 major ports 420,000 hits.

What is the deal?

This is a LIE!! And I mean BIG time.

Now letÔÇÖs see what our congresscritters have been saying.

Hillary Clinton: "Our port security is too important to place in the hands of foreign governments,ÔÇØ Clinton said, in a statement posted to her web site. "I will be working with [New Jersey] Senator [Robert] Menendez to introduce legislation that will prohibit the sale of ports to foreign governments.ÔÇØ

"Our ports are the front lines of the war on terrorism. They are both vulnerable targets for attack and venues for smuggling and human trafficking. We wouldnÔÇÖt turn the border patrol or the customs service over to a foreign government, and we canÔÇÖt afford to turn our ports over to one either.ÔÇØ

Chuck Schumer: "Outsourcing the operations of our largest ports to a country with a dubious record on terrorism is a homeland security and commerce accident waiting to happen," Schumer said.

Shall I continue, or is that enough?

How many times have you heard ÔÇ£Handing control of our ports over to a UAE owned company?ÔÇØ

How many? I have heard it probably 60 times today, at least that many, probably more.

WhatÔÇÖs the truth?

Read my first installment at

Barking Moonbat

DP World does not run ports; they build, own and manage terminals.

Did you get that? Terminals, not ports, not security, terminals.

OK, you may ask, what difference does that make?

It makes all the difference in the world.

P&O had contracts with 6 ports in the United States, Actually, it turns out that itÔÇÖs more like 22, but weÔÇÖll stick with the 6 for now. Of all the terminals in those ports, P&O managed just fewer than 30% of them.

New York Port Authority has 182 terminals, P&O, manages 2.

Now, how is managing 2 terminals out of 182, somehow handing over control of the port to the UAE?

I really want to know. This is like million man math or some such.

The media is lying big time, and our congresscritters are too, Chuckey and Hillary are just going ape nuts, and DP will run 2 fricking terminals out of 182 in the port authority of New York? This includes Newark New Jersey by the way.

What is that about?

OK, you ask, Jag, where did you get that information?

The deputy commander of the coast guard in charge of security for the Port Authority of New York, as heard on the Michael Medved show this afternoon, is where I got that info.

The rest are the same, total percentage of terminals that will be managed by DP World is just under 30% of the total in the 6 ports.

How is that giving them control of 6 ports?

I really, really would like to know? Where does 30% become total control of our ports?

Every talk show host is repeating the same line, ÔÇ£why are we giving control of 6 of our major ports to the UAE?ÔÇØ

Everyone is saying it, and it is a LIE!!!

DP World will manage just fewer than 30% of the terminals in those 6 ports.

ThatÔÇÖs it, thatÔÇÖs ALL!!

OK, so, now that I have explained that little piece, let me repeat it one more time, just to be clear.

DP World will manage just fewer than 30% of the terminals in those 6 ports, not control the ports themselves.

Yeah Jag, but one terminal managed by a company owned by the UAE is one too many.

Really? And why do you think that?

ÔÇ£It will give terrorists access to important information about our ports.ÔÇØ

You mean like maps, Shipping schedules, and pictures, and who runs what terminal?

What makes you think that they donÔÇÖt have access to that information now?

I can get on any port authorities website and find a map of the facilities right now.

We will use the Port of Seattle as an example, since I happen to live in that neck of the woods.

Port Of Seattle

Go ahead, click those links to the terminals, go ahead, there are maps, driving directions, what shipping companies dock where, there are even overhead pictures for godÔÇÖs sake.

YouÔÇÖre worried about the possibility that a terrorist might get access to port information if DP World managed a few terminals in 6 ports? Come on, just click that link, all the info you need is on the fricking Port of Seattle website. The ship arrival and departure schedules are on the website as well, and what terminal they are going to dock at.

I mean, Come on!!

Can we get a grip on reality here?

Like terrorists need an insider at a terminal management company to get the information they need?

Next objection

The UAE was one of three countries in the world to recognize the Taliban as the legitimate government of Afghanistan.

If the UAE had not recognized the Taliban, we would never have had a chance to talk to the Taliban about OBL after 911, the UAE cooperated with us, in order to communicate our concerns etc to the Taliban.

The UAE has been a key transfer point for illegal shipments of nuclear components to Iran, North Korea and Lybia.

After 911 the UAE was the first country to sign onto our Homeland Security arrangements, nuclear materials and components are no longer allowed through any UAE ports.

According to the FBI, money was transferred to the 9/11 hijackers through the UAE banking system.

Yeah, and money was transferred to the terrorists of 911 through Florida banks as well, does that mean that Florida is bad too?

After 9/11, the Treasury Department reported that the UAE was not cooperating in efforts to track down Osama Bin LadenÔÇÖs bank accounts.

The UAE has frozen all assets of any suspected terrorists, and has been cooperating fully with our FBI, CIA, NSA, and Homeland Security. They are our biggest and Best Middle East partner in the war on terror.

They could load up a ship in Dubai, and land it at one of the terminals they would manage, and boom, blow up our ports with a nuclear weapon.

Nope, not gonna happen, every container, and I mean every container that leaves any UEA port for the United State is checked by our homeland security. Again, the UAE was the first to sign on to our new Homeland Security measures at foreign ports.

The USDOD, thatÔÇÖs the United States Department of Defense, believes that the UAE ports are some of the most secure ports in the world. Guess who manages the terminals at those ports?

Yep, you guessed it, DP World.

Our naval ships will not dock at any other ports in the middle east, except ports within the UAE, our planes are free to land at any time, at any airport in the UAE, and know that they are totally secure, and I mean any of our airplanes, not just cargo planes, I mean fighters, bombers, whatever aircraft we need to land, the UAE says go ahead. Want to launch an attack, hey, thereÔÇÖs the airstrip, the security, the fuel, go right ahead.

The UAE is our staunchest and best Middle East ally in the war on terror.

This is a fact.

I got this info from General Tommy Franks on Fox News, as well as a number of Vets that have been to Iraq, through the UAE.

OK, so what have we got?

The UAE is our staunchest and most reliable Middle East ally in the war on terror, I believe that they have proven this with action, not just words.

Their ports are some of the most secure and successful in the world, according to our own DOD, and DP World manages those Terminals.

DP World is a very successful company, and will do whatever it takes to make sure that terrorists etc are unable to infiltrate their company and use it against us. Through Background checks, cooperation with Homeland Security, etc.

I believe that I have shown that a terrorist only needs to get online to get all the info he needs to attack our ports, itÔÇÖs right out there on the web. Why would he want or need to infiltrate a UEA company to get that information?

The whole idea is foolish.

I believe that I have answered the major objections, accept for one, and I heard it an awful lot today.

We should not allow any Muslim country or company to manage any facilities at any port. There is no such thing as a moderate Muslim, etc, etc, ad nausem.

Sorry, thatÔÇÖs just Wrong, not just wrong, but racist, and it is a slap in the face to the UAE, and people wonder why the DOD is upset about what the politicos are doing with this.

Yes, the DOD and Homeland Security and other intelligence agencies are very upset about the way this has been turned into a political firestorm.

This company is owned by our biggest ally in the Middle East on the War on terror.

They have cooperated with us and in the process have made themselves a bigger target to the Islamic fanatic terrorists, and they know it. That is a fact. Yeah, Muslims can be a little goofy, but they like to make money, just as much as a Christian or a Jew does.

And Arabs enjoy making a profit just as much as an American does, or a European does, or whatever country they are from.

The UAE over the last 4 years has proven itself to the DOD, witnessed by the fact that UEA ports are the only ones we will dock our ships, we are able to land our planes without any security problems, and base troops for rotation into Iraq etc.

The politicians, the press, and everyone else that is freaking out over this DP Ports deal, besides lying about it, have just told the UEA, ÔÇ£yeah, we like your ports, and really like using your air bases, youÔÇÖve helped and cooperated with our intelligence services and Homeland Security, but hey, we donÔÇÖt trust one of your companies enough to manage any of our terminals.

Yeah, we trust the UEA to rotate troops through there, land planes there, and dock our naval ships there, have Homeland security there to check all containers coming to the US, and we trust them to cooperate with us in every way shape and form on the war on terror.

Yet we donÔÇÖt trust them enough to allow one of their companies to manage a few terminals within the US?

But for the Chinese, it is OK? Yes, thatÔÇÖs right, Chinese companies manage good portions of our port terminals, and who owns the Chinese companies? Why, the Communist government of China.

Is this really about security at our ports?

In my first installment, I explained that, so NO, itÔÇÖs not about security at our ports, because DP worlds has nothing to do with the security, nor running of the ports themselves, just the terminals.

OK, is it about a terrorist infiltrating the company in order to get important information about our ports?

No, I have shown that any information that a terrorist might need, is right there on the different port authorities websites. Why go to all the trouble of getting hired, being transferred to the US, and then going through our security process for a workers Visa, etc, etc ad nauseum? When all you really have to do is get on the Internet and all the info you need is right there at your fingertips?

Come on, you think they are fanatical, and stupid?

I explained part of the reason that this story hit when it did in my first installment, it is called Dick Cheney and a hunting accident.

Now I will explain the rest of it to you as I see it.

The media continues to repeat ports, control of the ports, etc, etc, when we now know the actual truth of the matter, the Democrat politicians, and some Republicans are running with it as well.

Why are they repeating the lies, over and over again?

Here is how I see it.

The Democrats and the Media are royally POÔÇÖd about the war on terror, they hate President Bush, and they would like nothing better then to undermine him, the war on terror, and the war in Iraq.

This gives them the best of 4 worlds.

1:The way they are lying about it, President Bush sounds irresponsible with our national security, thereby undermining him, his administration, and the executive branch.

2: They undermine the war on terror by insulting our best ally in the Middle East, the UAE.

3: They undermine the Iraq War by insulting them as well, because the UAE has troops in Iraq helping us train Iraqi Military and police.

4: They get to sound like they actually care about our national security. Which of course the DemÔÇÖs poll very badly on.

Wow, 4 birds with one stone, itÔÇÖs mana from heaven I tell you.

Why are some Republicans piling on?

Public opinion polls, President Bush is polling very low, and they feel that they cannot depend on him for the 2006 elections, so, they are going with what will get them reelected, and by going with the DemÔÇÖs, they think that they will look like they care about National Security as well and be reelected. Besides the fact that they are not researching this, and going blindly with what the press tells them.

So, do you see it?

Lie about what is actually happening with the port deal, get the American people to rise up against it, turn it into a political firestorm, make President Bush and his administration look foolish and irresponsible, undermine the war on terror, undermine the Iraq war, by insulting our most trusted and reliable Middle East ally.

And to top it all off, you get to sound like you actually care about national Security.

ItÔÇÖs incredible, and only the Democrats are capable of such crass political maneuvering, along with their willing accomplices in the press, who continue to push the ÔÇ£controlling the Ports.ÔÇØ Line.

Mana from heaven for the DemÔÇÖs.

And, as far as I am concerned, treason of the worst sort.

But that never stopped the Democrat Party before.

US HAS to start protecting it's own interests. I still see no reason why US run company can't manage those terminals. Mexico, Canada, Europe, China, Japan, even Thailand, ALL of these countries engage in protectionism of their markets and industries, we are the only ones that continue selling out our own country piece by piece. The dollars future is already pretty much dead. The only reason for them to sell the contract to a foreign power is either for a back scratcher deal, which DOES NOT benefit the citizen of US, or just to get more money out of the contract as opposed to what US based company would pay, and in turn just prolong US's future for another couple of years, yet again, ON CREDIT, bleeding more jobs and money out of the country. The same jobs that could be staying here, managing those terminals, and the same money that could be staying here, in turn creating other jobs.

You are essentially right Soback. It's just another form of outsourcing, and that's just another level on which it's wrong.

Why start another thread without answering the points I made in another on the same topic?

quote:

And we are supposed to suddenly trust the UAE, after they supported and funded the Taliban, and by extension Al Quaeda, and by further extension, Osama Bin Laden? Because they allow their containers to be inspected?

What happens when this warm, fuzzy, and cuddly UAE government that adores us so much goes through a regime change like in Iran and Palestine? You know, where the government becomes run by militant USA and Israel haters who would stop at nothing to destroy us? Oh, well, it's only 2 terminals in NY. And 6 in Baltimore. And 4 in Los Angeles. And...

Does thinking you're the last sane man in America make you crazy? 'Cause then I just may be nuts after all...

Also, to illustrate how I'm NOT just buying into media muck-raking, I'll post a quote that I made just a week ago on another topic:

quote:

This is why I've been saying don't trust the media. About anything. At all. Whatsoever. NOTHING!

They think their job is to shock you, to inflame you, to provoke you, to panic you, and to manipulate you. It's been a very long time since anyone in the media has performed their REAL freakin' task: to inform you.

The bottom line is this: Bush is aggressively pursuing the war on terrorism overseas, and for the most part, given the magnitude of the job, I'd say he's doing a good job. However, domestically, his actions taken to provide for America's national security have been abysmally inadequate.

On Sept. 11, any sane country would have completely sealed the borders against all foreign immigration, and kept them sealed until such a time that a system was in place to ensure that every single person entering this country is checked and accounted for. Is this racist? Because we're worried about security? Is Israel racist because they kept tight security along the Gaza strip? Or because they have extra security measures in place where there are high concentrations of Muslims? Some people would answer 'yes' to these questions, and I would patently disagree with them. When you're worried about nuclear bombs being set off in your cities or squads of suicide attackers being smuggled in through foreign-managed ports, you don't have the luxury of worrying about offending someone's delicate sensibilities.

I've now been accused of being both racist AND stupid, and both charges I deny emphatically. If I'm to be accused of anything, it probably ought to be of being paranoid. Call me crazy, but having buildings that my loved ones work in come crashing to the ground on a sunny fall day can tend to make a guy paranoid.

Instead of doing what a sane country under attack would do, we are doing the opposite. WE ARE AT WAR. Bush is going in the wrong direction with domestic national security, and if Hillary Commie Clinton or Chuckie Schumer agree with me, I can't help that. Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

I guess that now I am going to have a write another installment explaingin how ports are run, and how terminals are managed.

Because we are letting our paranoia get the better part of common sense.

THis whole furor is nonsense, complete and utter BS.

The ports will be MORE secure then they were, and the same people running the terminals now, will run them when DP World takes over.

This is nothing but an emotional response without any factual basis to back it up.

NONE!!!

I expected better, I really did..

BTW, the UAE government is one of the most secure in that region of the world, their intelligence apparatus is 2nd to none, their security arrangements are 2nd to none, and the amount of terrorism they have stopped in their country, is also 2nd to none. THe government of the UAE is going no where. The terrorists nor anyone else, will ever be strong enough to bring down that government.

And Soback, sorry, we outsourced a LONG time ago at our ports, it's a global economy now, if the United States can't make the change, well, not much I can tell you, but going all isolationist is just plain ridiculous in the economy we have today, and impossible.

quote:

Originally posted by Jaguar:

New York Port Authority has 182 terminals, P&O, manages 2.

In New Jersey, the agency in charge of area ports sued to try to block Dubai Ports from taking over operations there.

quote:

The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey argued in court papers that Dubai Ports World was violating its lease by not getting consent for its pending acquisition of the current port operator, London-based Peninsular & Oriental Steam Navigation Co.

Posted by Prez: "On Sept. 11, any sane country would have completely sealed the borders against all foreign immigration, and kept them sealed until such a time that a system was in place to ensure that every single person entering this country is checked and accounted for. Is this racist? Because we're worried about security?"

--We can thank a good number ofliberals for that. They were probably there at the White House the day after Sept. 11 with Hilary Clinton pleading Bush was being unjust to other people- probably just to put him on the spot. Since a good majority of America are trying to find anything these days to point fingers at Bush for, he probably isnt able to get all the bills passed to make these actions take place. And them when America gets attacked again or whatever, they are going to blame him again. hypocritical.

quote:

Originally posted by $iLk:

Uh, huh, yeah, sure they have....

One of the arts of war, convince allies that they cannot be allies, to split them up to creat division, so that defeat piecemeal is more possible.

AQ makes a lot of claims, but they are weak, and are being defeated, it's one of the few things they have left.

You'll notice that they are no longer going for military targets in Iraq, but are instead trying to incite a civil war. We are winning against AQ.

You may not see it that way, but their reactions and actions thus far prove it.

quote:

Originally posted by $iLk:

Actually Jag - Al Qaeda made those statements to the UAE back in 2002 in order to leverage the release of terror suspects. It had nothing to do with the port deal.

I know that $iLk....

Besides the point, you used it for that purpose, and I think it was disengenouis to say the least.

There is absolutely NO reason that an UAE company should not manage terminals within our ports.

NONE, we have Chinese owned companies doing it, and they are FAR more of a security risk then a UAE company ever could be.

Jag- I agree with you on 3 points

1. We are winning against Al Qaeda in the war in Afghanistan and Iraq, and the evidence supports that.

2. The UAE has been a supportive ally since 9/11, and deserves to be commended for finally seeming to be on the right track.

3. The media lies like a rug.

That does not mean we are no longer at risk. Furthermore, just because the UAE has recently begun acting like an ally, we just don't dive in feet first straight away and give them management of our ports. There are levels of trust that are earned slowly over time, and the UAE has Emirs in power right now that have been seen spending time with ole' Osama. (Do some research and you'll see that one reason Bin Laden isn't taking a dirt nap right now is because the U.S. aborted an assassination attempt because he was with an Emir of the UAE at the time.)

No, the UAE has a long way to go before they deserve to be given such a sensitive position. This deal is still all wrong, all of your facts notwithstanding.

Why do you CONTINUE to say ports?

I have STATED the facts here a NUMBER of times.

They will LEASE TERMINALS, NOT RUN PORTS, as the media has been saying.

Of New Yorks 182 terminals, DP world will MANAGE, NOT OWN, exactly 2 of them.

They will have NOTHING to do with security, and they certainly will not be any more a sensitive position then we have allowed Communist China companies.

PLEASE!!! Quit REPEATING the media lies, they will NOT BE RUNNING PORTS, they will be managing Terminals, that load and unload ships. THAT'S IT!!!

I am not hysterical Prez, I am stating the facts, and you don't seem to realize the difference between a port, and a terminal, there is a HUGE difference.

It would be like me saying that you own the whole town of New York, when in fact you own a house there.

HUGE difference.

The fact is, because of the fact that you are unaware of the true facts, and how a terminal and port is run, is why you are in hysterics about aome UAE company running a terminal.

If you had the FACTS, instead of spouting media propaganda, you, as a conservative, would have an entirely different view of the matter.

You have based your view on emotion, and no facts.

You know what I think? I think you sound like a kid who stands in the school yard and screams at the top of his lungs until everyone declares that he's right.

I am aware of the difference- I am not stupid. Furthermore, I find it amusing coming from you that I'm letting my emotions rule me - you've been TYPING IN CAPS QUITE ALOT LATELY.

I simply do not agree with you. In my opinion, Bush is wrong and the deal is wrong. Deal with it, or don't. I really don't care. You know, we conservatives are allowed to disagree from time to time without having to resort to slinging insults.

So, as a not-conservative, I should have a completly opposite view then I do (i.e. not caring) and should instead think that the U.S. shouldn't let them in?

Damn, this thinking along-what-other-people-think-your-politicle-posistion-should-think is hard.

quote:

You know, we conservatives are allowed to disagree from time to time without having to resort to slinging insults.

Or anyone else for that matter.

I saw a report on CBS this morning with the usual political crew gathered at the docks here in NY. You know, Chuck Schummer etc. They were there with members of the port workers union. Yup, the very same people that only just last week said they don't see what all the fuss is about. I wonder what political favors these politicians are paying the union to come over to their side.

Actually, a better example would be this.

There is a building, the owner pays the security guard to wander around the building, check the doors, exits, packages, write down the names of those who enter and exit etc, and you decide that you want to rent a space there, there are over 1000 office spaces there, So, you come in, say hey, I want to rent this space to do business.

The media hauls off and starts telling the world that the owner is going to put you in charge of the building, the security, everything, when in fact, all you are going to do is rent a space FROM the owner.

That is what this whole port deal "scandal" is about.

You want to rent a space, but now everyone thinks that you're taking over the building.

quote:

Originally posted by Prez:

You know what I think? I think you sound like a kid who stands in the school yard and screams at the top of his lungs until everyone declares that he's right.

I am aware of the difference- I am not stupid. Furthermore, I find it amusing coming from you that I'm letting my emotions rule me - you've been TYPING IN CAPS QUITE ALOT LATELY.

I simply do not agree with you. In my opinion, Bush is wrong and the deal is wrong. Deal with it, or don't. I really don't care. You know, we conservatives are allowed to disagree from time to time without having to resort to slinging insults.

As I said, it is nothing but an emotional response..

You have too little factual information to make an informed decision, and sound outright racist in the process, to those of us that have the ACTUAL facts of the situation.

I find it sad, and rather disturbing, I thought that you were better then that...