New inventive copy protection circumvention

Guest Grayfox

lol. i find it absoloutely hilarious that most (if not all) of those people are *****ing about it... god forbid they cant crack the cd protection so they can dish out extra copies to their loser friends. last time i checked, thats what CD copy protection was for... to PREVENT copying unlawfully

so how soon will you be integrating this new type of CDCP into your future products???

I think that with regards to "Alcohol", they were newbies who probably meant to refer to Alcohol Soft , a company that is currently is working on a way to circumvent even this copyright protection, per the moderator of the Alcohol Soft board.

If anyone cares to hear the frustration of a few "wanna-be pirates" you can find that here and here.

Here is what an "expert" says about StarForce 3 (Spelling corrected to protect your eyes

quote:

A popular game protection system and rapidly overtaking the well established safe disc as the leading game CD protection. IÔÇÖve never encountered it myself, but from what IÔÇÖve heard itÔÇÖs quite nasty. Debugger-detection, heavy encryption, its paranoid. Even has a routine which checks for any suspicious loaded CD drivers that may be an emulated CD drive. The system is interesting through. No amount of raw copying work will copy a Star force 3.x game. It actually requires messing with the disc during mastering, altering it in ways no CD writer can write. The only way to copy one of these is a game-specific CD-copy crack. Making one of those is complicated because of the many anti-debugger techniques and encryption, but it can be done and so the cracks can be found on the net. Also, some CD drive emulator programmers are even now working on harder to detect drives, which will hopefully do it. Star force 1 and 2 are a bit weaker, and can be copied (with a suitable drive) by Gamejack (3.01), Clone CD and Alcohol 120% (some by copying, some by emulating, some by both, I have no more specific information). Star force 1+2 cannot be defeated using CDR-win, Nero or blindwrite. Star force 3 cannot be defeated by any copier. All can be defeated using a game specific crack

taken from here.

From what I've seen trolling the boards, currently it's 100% effective in protecting the CD from copying, but, as the fellows who made Fire Chief learned, burning the CD itself isn't always the problem.

I wonder how many angry parents there are right now just dumbfounded that their teen-age sons have taken abrasive cleaners to their parents software Probably have better luck looking at the CD with a magnifying glass and trying to write down the data

quote:

lol. i find it absoloutely hilarious that most (if not all) of those people are *****ing about it... god forbid they cant crack the cd protection so they can dish out extra copies to their loser friends

i know at least the original poster was complaining about the side effects it has for someone who paid for the game. he is all for copy protection as would anyone. but how far is too far...all that load time is ridiculous....

if they do this with all games, ill just have to find a new hobby.

Guest Grayfox

load time... big deal. if i enjoy the game enough, ill sit through any amount of loadtime.

i feel more comfortable knowing the CD protection is working, instead of crying and whining about loadtime... christ i have a few newer games that take almost 3 minutes to load on my PC. you dont see me *****ing and whining... maybe thats beacause i didnt have everything handed to me on a silver platter either...

um anyway, frequent load time also is what he complains about, and your load time might be due to inadequate pc, this is due to copy protection.

so your straying from the subject. copy protection: yes. frustration for paying customer: no

last i checked i saw no one whining. merely discussing.

Copy protection is going to ridiculous new heights, if companies insist on enforcing draconian copy protections that inconvenience the users they'll just draw more people to piracy, as pirate copies never suffer these problems.

Really I think a better maneauver would be to just try and empathize with users and make them feel good about buying a product and supporting a quality development team and their future quality products. Positive reinforcement works much better then negative. But with the notion of maintaining total control over fair use, and requiring people to pay you more money or face legal charges, who wouldn't want to use copy protection schemes these days?