P2P Opinions

Guest $iLk

I haven't been file-trading in ages... and besides hosting my own FTP, etc. I'd like to ask what programs you guys use to snag your MP3's and shaky-cam presentations - etc.?

Kazaa still popular? I've got Bit Torrent but I can't figure what the hell to do with it... looking for opinions... I'm currently test driving Sharezaa or some crap.

I know the latest free version of Kazaa is packed with more crap and bogged down my system so much that I just wiped it all out. I've heard there's a Kazaa Lite out there or something which is better.

iTunes and other places that sell songs for 99 cents a song is actually growing on me.

WinMX is currently the only P2P client that doesn't bog your system down with spyware.

K++ aka Kazaa Lite was the best, but Sharman shut them down, almost totally eliminating all downloads of it... good luck finding a copy.

You could try Bit Torrent; I recommend Bit Tornado as the client, just google it. Problem here is you can't download single MP3s, typically its an entire CD.

Honestly, P2P filesharing isn't that safe right now; and I'm not talking about the RIAA either. Currently, something like 4 of the main hacker groups in the world are duking it out, and they're infiltrating a lot of computers using the holes opened by P2P clients.

Not to mention downloading stuff off of P2P clients is enough now to get you flagged as a copyright infringer by the Feds, which could mean you facing hefty fines, or time in jail. My recommendation, unless you plan on purchasing the royalties to a song (Which I do when I'm designing sounds for shows, I'll just download the song and send the respective publishers the royalties... I hate doing that.) is to just not do any P2P downloading.

I haven't tried iTunes yet though, I hear its pretty good however.

I usually pop online every now and then just to grab 1 or 2 songs or a T.V. show that I missed. I have no problem buying songs and such so I might use one of the pay-per-song services for music... Diet-Kazaa is what I downloaded yesterday and it works okay... but hardly anyone is online anymore... and no one is sharing their share folders.

I'm thinking about setting up an FTP with game patches for games that are hard to find downloads for and other files that are hard to get.

My experience has been just the opposite, but maybe that was because when I tried Bit Torrent it was new.

I prefer eMule, and everything I've wanted to find has been there. Speed is not an issue with it for me. You can tweak the settings and get great DL speeds. Of course the credit/queue system has a lot to do with ones own performance. A lot of it also has to do with which server you've connected to.

You can even use it's search engine to find .torrent files.