Windows Vista

Well, time to start reading up on Vista.

I've been playing around with it (I have an MSDN sub) for some time now and all I have to say is that the leap from XP is like going from WIN98 to WINXP.

I suspect that when released, PC games will only support WINXP and Vista. Not surprising. Is anything actually still running WIN98?

quote:

Originally posted by JUDGExKTF:

Back on the vista subject; I really hope WinFS gets included. Does anybody know if they fixed the fragmentation issue which NTFS has with winFS ?

If we're lucky they'll include it as a Service Pack, but at this time its pretty certain thats not going to be happening.

quote:

Originally posted by DeepFreeze:

I don't know. From what I've read about Vista, it just sounds like WinXP with some neato skins. Am I missing something?

Yes, you're missing a lot. Better go back and actually read the plethora of resources out there about Vista because you're not even close.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

He's right though. I have the Vista CTP and its a mess. Vista is to WinXP what WinME was to Win98: a disaster.

Yeah, its so true. I've been having to play with it at work lately, and I'm not impressed at all.

However, it is still a pre-release; it still feels a little early to judge it. Plus I don't know if I'm exactly the one who should be judging it... I'm still convinced that a good UNIX is lightyears better than Vista, for both Workstation and Server applications.

Concerning backwards compatibility, and I know I'm going to get booed for this, but I think Microsoft should learn a good lesson from Apple. Rather than worry so much about backwards compatibility, just rewrite the entire code, not worrying about backwards compatibility. They keep talking about doing "rewrites" yet the same old problems remain. Apple released OS X and told the OS classic guys to piss off. They gave you tools to basically have a copy of OS classic installed if you really needed legacy apps but with each version of OS X they've just sort of pulled people away from that.

Heck, a lot of UNIX stuff is like that. I know of a few Solaris apps that won't run on 9 but will run on 6 just fine. Microsoft needs to stop worrying about "loosing customers" or "being the bad guys" and just say piss off to the people who whine. Even gamers get over it... its not like we haven't gone through it before with Windows 98 to Windows XP.

• 1 month later...

Hmmmmmm

Interesting article, wish they had run more tests though to see if any 'other' populer game would work... like.. say... EQ2? which is still vastly popular...

But this still doesn't convince me to dish out hundreds of dollers to upgrade my OS when I don't even know if four games in particuler will work (X3 - Reunion, 3000AD's line of games, and two others)

That has been the case for a while now.

Anyway, the Beta 2 customer preview is out for those brave enough to try it and smart enough to install it in a multi-book environment.

Vista - to me - is rubbish. It'll never get off the ground and winXP will remain the de facto OS for gaming.

quote:

Vista - to me - is rubbish. It'll never get off the ground and winXP will remain the de facto OS for gaming.

Why do you predict that, SC?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I installed Vista Beta 2 and I'm not impressed at all.

Drivers will be a huge issue.

No working drivers for my printer, scanner, Razer mouse, Audigy sound card barely works, video drivers barely work.

pffft..

this looks even worse than WinME