Star Wars Battlefront - Star Wars meets Battlefield 1942

Terran Marine

• 8 months later...

Well, I'm kicking myself for buying another LucasFarts product.

Star Wars BattleFront flat out sucks. I just finished uninstalling it after a week of what I can only describe as the most frustrating and futile attempt to enjoy a game, ever. I had such high hopes for it too.

It's got console port written all over it, and it's the WORST port I've ever seen. Terrible interface, terrible net code and terrible execution. The only thing that might save it is six more months of development and several patches, but I don't think it will ever lose that nasty console flavor.

There are so many things that irritate me about this game that I don't even know where to start. So I won't. I'll just warn everyone else ahead of time to stay "far, far away" from this one.

(if there were a vomiting graemlin in our happy little selection, it would be here)

I think the issue is money. Lucas has always been about the money. So this causes development to focus on the least common denominator in order to maximize profits. So we end up with games most suited for the PC being shoehorned into the limited design and capabilities of console games.

Games developed for the PC from the ground up aren't so bad, the Jedi Knight series for example I found very enjoyable.

You would think that a man so concerned over copyrights and the image of Star Wars would never let this crap out of the door, but then again this is the same man that thought Jar Jar Binks was a good idea.

Somewhere along the line Star Wars became more about the superficial and less about the substance. It's not enough that it looks and sounds like Star Wars and that he seeks to impress us with grand visuals over true content, it has to BE Star Wars.

I found the documentary included in the latest DVD set to be very inspiring. He really was a cinematic genious and deserves as much praise as he has gotten, but it's no longer OK to just slap the Star Wars name on a piece of merchandise and throw in a few droids, wookiees and the theme music and expect it to enhance the franchise.

quote:

Originally posted by Kung-Fu Massa:

quote:

Originally posted by Reno:

I think most of their creative processes were expended with KOTOR. Either that, or George is slippin with keeping the quality of his licenses in check.

Whoa there Reno, credit for KOTOR goes to Bioware

Regardless of the dev house used, LucasArts has final say on everything, so they are ultimately responsible for the quality of the game.

Pandemic coded BattleFront, but LA approved it.

quote:

Originally posted by Cruis.In:

1: get an xbox then and play it if it is meant to be an xbox game.

2: Jedi knight series wasn't bad.

1: Don't need one. I'll play it on my nephew's Xbox. Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

2: The first Jedi knight game with Mysteries of the sith kicked a$$. I hated that they changed to the quake engine. I spent more hours than I can count playing Jedi knight/Mots multiplayer. I loved the fact that you could specificaly target a weapon and pull it from the players hand. They did away with that in the later Jk's. With the addition of the player mod Grappling hook took the Bespin Gantry map to a whole new level of fun. The later incarnations of JK just doesn't do it for me in multiplayer. There just doesn't seem to be the same fun factor that the original JK had. Sure it looks alot better in the graphics department but multiplayer gameplay... eh.

Battlefront is great on PS2. Multiplayer is fun too.

They could have worked a bit more on the squad commands, it is hard to get my troops to do what I want them to do. The best command system for this I have ever seen was in Freedom Fighters.

This game is still good.

quote:

When was the last time they released an exceptional game? X-wing vs Tie Fighter? [/QB]

I agree, that game is crap, and X-Wing Vs Tie Fighter in my opinion is the best Lucas game made!

Guest Grayfox

two more: monkey island... something about vegetarian cannibles always makes me chuckle.

theres been a bunch of shoddy star wars games thats been released... force commander was one that almost made me vomit, rogue sqadron 3, rebel assault 2, bounty hunter etc etc...

maybe hes to busy concentrating on the movies, and lets a few slip through the strainer... then again he did award this piece of excrement as winner of the 2003 SW fan film awards... no wonder huh? i couldnt even watch the whole thing it made me sick...

quote:

Originally posted by Grayfox:

two more: monkey island... something about vegetarian cannibles always makes me chuckle.

well you could add outlaws too

quote:

maybe hes to busy concentrating on the movies, and lets a few slip through the strainer... then again he did award
piece of excrement as winner of the 2003 SW fan film awards... no wonder huh? i couldnt even watch the whole thing it made me sick...

Oh the horrors, the HORRORS of it all. Why did I watch that video from beginning to end. I think I'm scared for life.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...