Game Industry Stars

Supreme Cmdr

First of all, to me game developers are more important than any celebrity because I find video games more fun than movies, because that's the kind of person I am.

Secondly, I sometimes wonder what makes TV stars so important? Because they can do stuff creatively in front of a camera makes them rich and famous. Some actors don't have to work very hard at all, yet the rest of us work our buns off, trying to please or achieve whatever/whoever you are working for. Game developers make quality games that match to the greatness of any movie I've seen, so i'm not suprised some Japanese game designers are celebrities. I don't know, maybe the reason movie celebs are so important has something to do with our culture? The way we do things?

That is really just my opinion, however somewhat biased except for the fact that I like video games more than movies. Any of my game gods like Derek Smart and Warren Spector can make me happy any day.

I have lost a LOT more of my life to computer games than to film. Even my favourite films of all time (any of the Star Wars films) I have not spent as much time watching as I have playing some games.

I have spent untold hours if not months in front of my PC screen at home, happily playing away the hours. I recognise names attached with computer games alot quicker than ANY actor. Any actor who has done some FMV or the like on computer games I would also instantly be able to say

"Oh he was in such a game!" Where as I may be hard pressed to remember another film that he was in.

The devolopers of the games are my STARS they are the names that I see regularly on the web pages that I read. I don't read a paper, I don't watch the news - these things depress me. I do read the online gaming and computer mags so I couldn't tell you how many people died in Ethopia today but I can tell you the latest devolopments in gaming. And I prefer that - It's less depressing.

Also, the fact that a lot of video games were made into movies should make game developers recognized even more (except for all the crappy ones, ugh...Wing commander...ugh..it was done so much better in the game)

On top of that, i am 100% behind Emmett.hendrick

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

quote:

What you say of "our industry" could likely better be phrased the "American Game Industry". In countries like Korea and Japan, game designers and developers are celebrities. In fact, a lot of Japanese developers look more like rockstars then they do our classic developer stereotypes (Will Wright?)

This guy is Right on.

I lived in Japan for several years. Game Designers are SUPER Famous in Japan. Hell Designers like Yu Suzuki (SEGA's Virtua Fighter, Shenmue and a host of other games like Hang on, After Burner, etc etc etc) are practically like Royalty.