The Sims - A study in sociology

Supreme Cmdr

quote:

Shortly before he was thrown out of Alphaville, Urizenus and his fellow reporters were openly questioning whether teenage game players should be allowed to trade in human flesh, albeit virtual flesh, and wondering whether the Sims Online should be restricted to adults

these guys have no clue. interesting indeed

and there it is the confirmation that online games bring the worst out of people. No matter what. Online games are populated by jerks and psychologically sadistic *******s

A shame because you can always find good people in hell.

As a sidenote, in planetside early december we had a server merger, and the konried server players (who would get merged with the big brother emerald) decided to have a cease fire and meet up on an island south of a continent

nearly a hundred players from the 3 factions showed up, and respected the cease-fire, depite being a FPS game.

Except for a group of 3 people that took a bomber and levelled out the place, friends and foe alike, and bragged about it on the forums.

*sigh*

quote:

nearly a hundred players from the 3 factions showed up, and respected the cease-fire, depite being a FPS game.

Except for a group of 3 people that took a bomber and levelled out the place, friends and foe alike, and bragged about it on the forums.

ouch. you have to admit that a gathering like that would be one heck of a target.

Honestly, if you ask me, If you play the sims seriously (as many fans of it do) you've got serious issues.

I heard about that planetside thing, pity, how is PS these days EP5? I'm thinking of maybe buying a used copy from a friend and switching away from Galaxies (Finally).

I think in all online games you get idiots. I play a female character in SWG and I swear if I get asked to take my bra off one more time I'm gonna go postal on some little 15 year old.

I play online for an escape for a few hours a week. I believe I'm fairly responsible but then again I am 28 years old and a fair bit older than the average confused and messed up teenager who would be online also.

Ooo, a female character, thats risky. I had a female dancer on Galaxies once, decided that it was time to nix her after 40 people in a cantina asked me to strip.

Sorry, but that bothers me, esp. since I was just using the char to check out some of the other professions.

Hendrick, what server do you play on? I need to make a new character so maybe we can meet up sometime (My Master Bounty Hunter was told to master Image Design to open my FS slot.... what up wit dat?)

For some reason when I RP I mostly play female characters (except here my AE is male). It can be fun sometimes my chara in Galaxies is a Dancer also and also an artisan, Brawler and Marksman and she's getting pretty good at all of them now.

I'm on Farstar and tend to be online regular enough.

quote:

Originally posted by DREADA:

quote:

...Don't think that is trivial: right now, one million simoleans trades for $22 (£12) on the auction website eBay... ...Online economies can even intermingle with the real one. Last month, a court in Beijing ruled in favour of Li Hongchen who sued the operator of the online game Red Moon after his virtual money and weapons were stolen by a hacker. The court said that because the virtual goods had been acquired using his labour, time, cash and "wisdom", they belonged to him and had real value.

Whoa!! At this rate, imagine what things will be like ten years from now!

Most games usually end up not caring about players, but oftens because of players themselves. In neocron there was a bug where sometimes apartments would get emptied, contents of all cabinets would be gone, rare parts, rare weapons, high cost tools, shitloads of resources, etc ... but because some people deliberately emptied their apartments and asked for a "reroll" they stopped doing it :/

However, i have to agree that in online games, players i worked to improve for months DO have a value to me. I spent REAL time and money to improve the virtual skills and virtual possessions to virtual characters, so I don't want to lose everything.

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr. WeeGee:

Ooo, a female character, thats risky. I had a female dancer on Galaxies once, decided that it was time to nix her after 40 people in a cantina asked me to strip.

Sorry, but that bothers me, esp. since I was just using the char to check out some of the other professions.

Hendrick, what server do you play on? I need to make a new character so maybe we can meet up sometime (My Master Bounty Hunter was told to master Image Design to open my FS slot.... what up wit dat?)

see this is why i'm scared when i see people with female skins. you don't know if they are some girl or a guy

quote:

Originally posted by Soback:

LOL, too funny, so guys getting the ultimate kick out of roleplaying as a female. Interesting.....LOL

Truth is, if you want to pursue the dancer profession in Galaxies you pretty much have to be a female character. Reason is simple, Dancers require tips to survive, unless they also have artisian skills or brawler skills as well. Unfortunately, and trust me, I've tried it, Male Dancers don't get tips.

Personally, I think that's rediculous, but it has to go with the fact that there are so many young and horny teenagers playing Galaxies. Even the ones who play female characters stare at their own (and others) female characters. So they just sort of ignore the Male dancers.

Hell, I actually had one guy on Kettemore (Thats the (Un)Offical RP Server for everyone who doesn't know) who told me that dancers were supposed to strip, after I told him to lay off a lady friend (In real life as well) of mine. He was literally /yelling (joke. those who don't get it just ignore it) at her to take her clothes off.

Challenged him to a duel and he accepted; poor fella, I don't think I took even one shot at him before he hit the ground.

Its just getting out of hand. There's one MMO game we're all forgetting however. WW2OL. I wish I still had my subscription to that, it was an awesome game. Plus, 90% of the people who played it were adults because its soooo hard. Not to mention its another one of those Niche market games.

Going back to my original topic, sometimes you've got to play female characters to survive in the online world. I'll be honest though, I think it bleedin' sucks.

EDIT: (OFFTOPIC) Isn't it always so funny how you feel like your writing a novel in this little box, but when you hit post it comes out to like barely full paragraphs?

quote:

Originally posted by Commander Elio Jason:

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr. WeeGee:

see this is why i'm scared when i see people with female skins. you don't know if they are some girl or a guy

Want to answer me why it makes a difference?

I have roleplayed for years (about 18 now I think) and have played both male and female characters (and a few non descript ones too).

The idea is to roleplay your character whethar you are a guy rp'ing a woman or vice versa why does it matter. Or do you play these games in the hope of finding your 'special someone' online.

Now I don't openly tell people on line that I'm a man rp'ing a woman or you get responses like yours but any untoward advances are quickly told where to go.

Is it a slight touch of homophobia that makes the difference to you all? I doubt it because I have to admit I am not comfortable with homosexuality (but at the end of the day it's everyones own choice). However as a writer and a roleplayer I have never had a problem doing a love scene or simular with one of my characters. The difference is when I RP I don't see further than the AVATAR of the other person on screen, or the writings they have made of their AE.

I do not sit there thinking about the person controling/writing the character that my character is dealing with. I can seperate myself from the 'me and the other player' idea and concentrate on the game/roleplay/story.

I admit it's harder to do face to face(at least it seems to be for the other person which makes my role harder)

Anyway that's my rant to finalise though.

Whethar the person controling the chara you are dealing with onscreen is male or female it does not matter. Thats the core of Roleplay - leaving the real world behind.