Pirates of the Carribean, Gothic 2?

Guest rtoolooze

Guest rtoolooze

Is anyone else here looking forward to these titles? Pirates finaly shipped yesterday. And you can order Gothic 2, ( I just loved the first one), the english version from gogamer.com right now. Being a big fan of open ended sims, (Duh!) I'm hoping these titles live up to my expectations.

Money's tight, (as alway's), but I can usually figure a way to get what I want. (Ahhh, its good to be King around here). Now I need to find time to play them.

Anyone else?

quote:

Originally posted by rtoolooze:

Is anyone else here looking forward to these titles? Pirates finaly shipped yesterday. And you can order Gothic 2, ( I just loved the first one), the english version from gogamer.com right now. Being a big fan of open ended sims, (Duh!) I'm hoping these titles live up to my expectations.

Money's tight, (as alway's), but I can usually figure a way to get what I want. (Ahhh, its good to be King around here). Now I need to find time to play them.

Anyone else?

I was enthusiastic about Sea Dogs II oopppss I mean Pirates of the carribean till they sold out and Disney! But it still looks like a good game since it's still basically Sea Dogs underneath it all. As for Gothic 2 man the first one was cool. You know I kinda liked it better than Morrowind been waiting for Gothic 2 since they made they german version to be released to us englanders you mean it's avail now!?

quote:

Originally posted by Enigma:

yeah im looking foward to PotC, but im not sure ill like it, plus the site doesnt have sys reqs and its a lil empty on content

Have you played the first Sea Dogs? That game was good but when you ship side it kinda felt like you were on a ghost ship there was crew but they were invisible . Now with Sea Dogs II everything is there including crew and very sweet looking water. I dloaded the orginal Sea Dogs II trailer some time ago long before there was even a clue about the backdoor deal with Disney and it knocked me socks off the trailer was like that of a high production movie. I have it somewhere on a CDR I wonder if it will be a collectible one day.

[ 07-02-2003, 12:13 AM: Message edited by: LostInSpace ]

quote:

yeah im looking foward to PotC, but im not sure ill like it, plus the site doesnt have sys reqs and its a lil empty on content

Well you are right. I just did an extensive internet search and nowhere is there listed on any of the sites this includes Gamespy, Gamespot.com, Gamestop.com (use to be Software Etc.) and so on. Would you believe where I did find it on the Akella's native language web site Russian (yes it's a russian company) so here it is in Russian. It's not too bad most of the important info is in English. You can read it below or if you just wanna check the site out go here http://www.akella.com/seadogs2/game-overview-ru.html hmmm they never updated the sites name to the new name Pirates of the Carribean. But as SC has said don't believe what you read about minimum req most companies deflate the req so low it's almost a fraudulant claim. Yeah sure most games will run on the min systems but that is when you tweek down the game (video res and 3d and the audio) you end up playing a game that resembles the first doom .

Системные требования

Минимальные требования

Процессор Pentium III 500

128 Mб оперативной памяти

Видеокарта на базе процессора GeForce ATi Radeon

Операционная система Windows- 95982000XP

Direct X 8.0

Рекомендуемые требования

Процессор Pentium III 700

256 Mб оперативной памяти

Видеокарта на базе процессора GeForce III ATi Radeon 8500

Операционная система Windows- 95982000XP

Direct X 8.0

[ 07-02-2003, 12:27 AM: Message edited by: LostInSpace ]

Guest rtoolooze

"you mean it's avail now!?"

While the U.S. version will not be availible till october, you can get the Enlish version right now. Its the same version the U.S. will be getting. It has been released in some countrys in Europe.

Go to gogamer.com and you can have it in your grubby little hands in no time. As soon as I get my next check, thats what I'll be doing. Also, dig around in rpgdot.com and you can find all the info you want on Gothic 2.

Cheer's

quote:

"you mean it's avail now!?"

While the U.S. version will not be availible till october, you can get the Enlish version right now. Its the same version the U.S. will be getting. It has been released in some countrys in Europe.

Go to gogamer.com and you can have it in your grubby little hands in no time. As soon as I get my next check, thats what I'll be doing. Also, dig around in rpgdot.com and you can find all the info you want on Gothic 2.

Cheer's

Cool, glad to hear that the english version is finally comming out here in the US. I can wait till october though cause I have a few games that I need to catch up on and finish now. It'll be good to play it on those cold winter nights . I did try the german version demo when it was first released and the graphics are a vast improvement over gothic 1. Too bad I only remember a scattering of german from my college days taking only German 101 then.

is Gothic any good? the Best Buy near here has some and im thinking about getting it. i like RPGs and i have Morrowind (i like how open it is). is this one worth nabbing up quick like?

quote:

is Gothic any good? the Best Buy near here has some and im thinking about getting it. i like RPGs and i have Morrowind (i like how open it is). is this one worth nabbing up quick like?

I have it and played it I picked it up a while ago from Gamestop (software etc.) for $20. Like I said in my other post I like it a bit better than morrowind. Though the graphics aren't on the same par as morrowind they are good and now Gothic 2 makes up for it.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/gothic/index.html

Read the readers reviews they are more on target with the game. The in-house reviewers review I didn't altogether agree with. I would have given the game 8.5.

There were a few grumblings about the controls for your character but once you play the game and get use to it the controls make sense and become second nature. Also, all the characters have their own dialog. So I would recomend picking it up if you like RPG's.

Guest rtoolooze

You would be foolish to pass this one up. I'm surprised you have'nt played it yet if you like rpg's. Go to rpgdot.com and look in the forums to what other rpg'ers are saying about it and Gothic 2.

First tho, you might as well get on down to Best Buy and pick it up, cause thats what your gonna do anyway once you read the forums.

About the only thing that could of been better was the control and interface schemes. But don't let that stop you from getting a killer game. Once you get used to them, you won't even think about it. Also its very freeform like Morrowind, even tho the storyline gets a little more linear as the game goes on. Take my word for it, GO GET IT.

rtoolooze over and out.

quote:

First tho, you might as well get on down to Best Buy and pick it up, cause thats what your gonna do anyway once you read the forums.

mind reader

and thank u and LostInSpace for were to check out reviews

quote:

quote:

mind reader

and thank u and LostInSpace for were to check out reviews

No problem. Oh yeah, another game I forgot to mention if you happen to come across it in the bargain bin or something called Blade Of Darkness. Yes it's another one of those highly under-recognized games. I had alot of fun with that game. Go here http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/bladeofdarkness/index.html again read the readers review as well as the in-house reviewer. That's what I did when I saw the game in Gamestop but didn't pick it up right away because I wanted to check out the review and after reading all the reviews I went and picked it up and I was not disappointed.

To tell you the truth I more or less trust the readers review more than the in-house reviewers. However, I do use both to come to the conclusion on wether to buy the game or not. Anyway there are some video issues with the game but that can be solved very quickly by going here http://www.3dgamers.com/games/severance/ and dloading a file called RASTER.ZIP that file fixed all my video issues. You can also dload the demo there if you wanna check the game out it's 102mb.

If you are wondering it was released in europe under the name Severance:Blade of Darkness.

As a side note: Rebel Act Studios that developed the game is now defunct. Turns out two of their lead developers split from the company and for some reason they've never recovered.

Anyway Check the Game out you might like it. I know I did.

PS: Forgot to mention that body parts you hack off can also be picked up and used to beat up the guy it came from or any one else for that matter. So if you hack off an arm or leg or whatever, the bodies in this game are very hackable, well go for it..... .

[ 07-05-2003, 01:58 AM: Message edited by: LostInSpace ]

Okay, I found the original Sea Dogs II (A.K.A. Pirates of the carribean) trailer if anyone wants to get a peek at the game http://www.3dgamers.com/games/piratescaribbean/

scroll the screen down you'll see the file names sd2(small/full)_trailer.avi.

From what I understand also that Sea Dogs II had 6 campaigns but now it only has one 1 campaign to fit in with the movie tie in. And it also appears that it's another game with the control scheme revamped for console first and PC second.

Hmmm, so they've not only sold out they've scaled the game down and snubbed it's pc fan base (for which the game made it's mark in the first place) with crappy console controls. Why couldn't they just leave things the way it was suppose to be for the game instead of wasting the time to convert it for the movie tie in they could have spent that time developing Multi-player wow can you imagine what a game that would have made as multi-player. "Avast yee matey, I smells me fresh geek!" You know it's crap like this that makes me want to become a Pirate just outa GP especially when one reads a game description like this:

*An epic role-playing game on land and at sea

*Gorgeous graphics and realistic weather effects

*Open-ended gameplay set in exotic locales

*Exciting high seas battles and thrilling duels

*Inspired by the feature film coming July 9th

It's the last one that's irritating. This game was in development long before anyone ever concieved of the movie pirates of the carribean. More likely it was Sea Dogs (as well as the Monkey Island series remember the evil dead pirate LeChuck and his horde of skeleton pirates) that inspired the movie.

[ 07-12-2003, 03:22 PM: Message edited by: LostInSpace ]

Okay, I picked up Pirates Of the Carribean on saturday. May I say that this game is really good. If you liked the first Sea Dogs, you'll love this game even more. Alot more things to do island side. Actually, the island exploration reminds me alot of REDGUARD (another elder scrolls saga) Anyway, I don't know about those reviewers on Gamespot either the in-house or reader reviewers (sometimes I get the impression they are 11 years old and younger). The customize key setup is a breeze (contrary to many complaints). The only thing that is missing and is really needed is a mouse sensitivity adjustment. It can also use in the video options a brightness adjust. When it goes night, you can't see a damn thing if you are not in a town and even then it's really really dark. I had a few problems completing a quest all because it was night and I couldn't see what path on an island to take. Oh man the water in this game very SWEET. Years ahead of morrowind's water.

The ship to ship fighting is awesome especially when you caught up in a storm and sea swells are yards high ooooo I'm getting sea sick again. I can't see this game playing on their min/recommended computer specs without it looking and running drop dead crappy rather than drop dead georgeous you would need a 1.3 ghz or faster and a video card that supports pixel shading and alot of horse power.

But I'm still cheesed off at akella over the movie tie in only because they took out 6 campaigns and only gave 1 (the black pearl) and took out the option to play as a female. But other than that it's all SEA DOGS. I guess Disney didn't want another crappy movie tie-in game and the only pirate game that was in development and next to completion was Sea Dogs II so they threw some cash to Akella and made the deal. Can't blame it for that buisness is buisness I guess.

Well enough said for me I highly recommend it. Can't wait for the player mods so when I'm done with the game I got more to look foward to still play.

[ 07-15-2003, 10:59 PM: Message edited by: LostInSpace ]

• 8 months later...

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

The
. Sound familiar?

PA!: How did Sea Dogs 2 become POTC?

Akella: Oh, it's a long story. I'll tell you the short one. Disney liked our game, got in touch with Bethesda Softworks, and finally they came to us, saying that Sea Dogs II MUST be transformed into the Pirates of the Caribbean . It was a quite an experience, and we obtained more audience, but to tell the truth, most of the team hated the idea of this kind of metamorphosis. You know, the game was almost finished..

Thanks for that link SC. Oh yes sounds quite familiar.

players started to get more involved and cried for a patch for they were largely ignored have only to resort to the hugely successful modders who not only managed to fix many of the bugs with the aid of patches released for the russian version but to re-enable many of the features turned off.

I was wonder what was going on with patches and stuff for the game. I gave up going to the official site for lack of it. I just checked the games official site now and still the same site it was when the game first came out.

PA!: Will Bethsoft be a publishing your next Pirate adventure?

Akella: No, I don't think so.

Ahhh, another Publisher satisfied customer. Anyway, I like that Mickey Mouse pirate flag they posted with the article .

[ 03-22-2004, 12:42 PM: Message edited by: LostInSpace ]