Strategy games (Need help finding one)

Guest Fox__Trot

Guest Fox__Trot

Okay so my friends come home from collage in about a month and we're looking for "The game we're all going to pick up"

anyways usually we get together and network all the computers we can together and jump in a game

If anyone's got any suggestions or ideas im open for them.

We'll DO realtime games but they need to last a couple hours atleast for the game to complete (*Cough* Starcraft *Cough*)

right now we're looking at

Hagemonia: Legions of Irons... thoughts?

okay thanks guys list away so I can read up if you've got any reviews of a game go for it

We're ALSO looking for longevity in the game per say MOO 2 IS diffrent EVERY time you play it depending on how events unfold... if youve got any suggestions list away

Guest Fox__Trot

Hey DeepFreeze (or anyone else) I cant tell what kind of multiplayer does it have im -not- looking for head to head more of a Co-Op multiplayer with a couple hours play for a "medium length" game

Also can anyone tell me the name of the star wars game that was turnbased? I honestly cant think of it... and if it has any multiplayer

Command and Conquer Generals is fun.

Starcraft naturally.

Red Alert if you're into oldies...

Star Wars:

Galactic Battlegrounds OR

Rebellion (it is MP for 2 ppl)

Hearts of Iron is my favorite WW2 strategy (takes a lot of in-depth strategy - expect more than a couple hours out of this baby) Nothing was funner to me than playing Germany while my friend played Japan while we mopped up resistance to the world and had conquered or allied with everyone except for the United States, Australia and Mexico by 1941... our last save had us positioned with my German divisions moving into the northern United States via their Canadian positions, while my fleets invaded Texas to sieze the oil fields with nearly 30 divisions of infantry and armor. My Japanese ally was teaming up to invade Texas also - along with California and Hawaii. It helped that we had influenced the elections so that the Republicans were in office and were foolhardy enough to ignore the war in Europe until after Great Britain, France, and the Soviet Union had already been smashed... the Soviets were in an uneasy peace with us after having surrendered over 2/3 of their country with the majority of assets to us once my Panzer divisions had cut off supply to their Western advance after they foolishly declared war on me.

You can play as ANY country during WW2 - major or not. And act out the years 1932 - 1948 politically, technically, economically, socially, militarily, etc. By the time we were invading the U.S.A. I had already pushed technology ahead far enough that the atomic bomb was in sight... and we still had 7 years to go. The only country that withstood our merciless advance was Australia after an upset victory at the gates of their capital... where our army was beseiged ala Stalingrad...

Great game.

As far as multiplayer goes, there are different scenarios that come with the game. Some are team scenarios, ffa, etc. So i'm sure there's something in there that you would be interested in. I personally love disciples 2 because of the art style, good graphics, and pace of the game. Another TBS I might recommend if you're into long games (REALLY long games) is Civ 3. I think you need the Conquests expansion pack to play online though.

As far as RTS's, seems like that genre has gotten really stale, as no new RTS's have come out really, except for all these WW2 games. I heard Hegemonia was kind of a blah clone of Homeworld 2 (which I might recommend). So, quite honestly, I'm really at a loss as to what to recommend you.

Haegemonia sucks. Just my two cents. Best ship destruction I've seen in a game... but the whole game sucks IMHO.

The only RTS I've played lately is C&C Generals - you can get the original + exp for like $25 now.

Interesting balance... a few too many exploits in most games though... C&C Generals has an interesting take on balance. If you've got people playing all different sides... watch out.

Any of the Homeworld games...

I've yet to have just one game of Homeworld 2 last less than 30 minutes between me and my friends. If you want a game that'll last for hours get 4 people and 4 computers going, FFA... that'll last for a long time.

Warcraft 3 is always good, but the longest mp game I've been in yet with it is 45 minutes, so I don't think its what you're looking for.

Oh, and Haegemonia really really really did suck. I took the time to beat it, but I feel like I wasted the time that I took to beat it. It just doesn't have much depth, and the directx executable on my CD has a virus in it, so that didn't help my idea about it any... getting that virus off my system was a pain.

Good Concept, bad delivery.

Guest Fox__Trot

Okay now then I think my real time game will be C&C generals since two of the 5 people have it already (and i've got TA and can just *burn* it)

okay now I need a turnbased dont tell me im stuck with moo2 again >:)

I could goto moo3 but it's kinda *blah* Thoughts?

Turnbased - Hearts of Iron!!! MOO3 SUCKS BADLY

Or why LAN? Set up a nice Risk game... me and my friends had tons of "house rules" for Risk that made it very interesting - all play balanced and tested for years.

We even had a variation "Gundam Risk" which replayed the events of Mobile Suit Gundam with 3 sides - the Earth Federation, Principality of Zeon, and the Asian "freedom fighters" which we had rules for creation of and capturing of Mobile suits - spaceport countries which had to be held for reinforcements, etc.

Must agree with $ilk here.. Hearts of iron is certainly my favourite ever strategy game. The 1.06 patch has recently been released that greatly improves the game AI, combat, icons, naval warfare, supply etc.. It is a totally awesome game. A new 1944 scenario has even been included.

It's a wargame though, not an RTS is the generally known sense (although it is realtime) so that might or might not be your cup of tea.

Run it in the slowest mode possible to plan your strategy... feel free to pause to give orders etc. - me and my friend did this constantly before hitting resume to allow our movements to play themselves out... whenever it was time for strategy we slapped pause again.

Paradox are kinda known for releasing really good strategy games, but with lots of bugs. Most of the reviews were based on version 1.0, which had a lot of problems.

Gradually most of them were fixed. By version 1.05c there was a pretty stable, playable game. The recently released 1.06 patch has taken things a step further. You can check the forums to see what others think, here;

http://www.europa-universalis.com/forum/fo...isplay.php?f=79

It really depends how much you're into WWII. If you fancy playing a grand strategic WWII game then it's the only choice. It takes a while to learn the game if you're not familiar with other Paradox titles, but it's well worth it imo.

I can't think of any other game that covers 12 years with every nation on earth playable, yet still allows you to (say) order the 1st para's to attack Caen at 7am on 01 July 1944 with HMS Warspite patrolling the coast providing shore bombardment support, and the 7th infantry providing backup by 9pm.

There are mods like Stony Road and CORE which add a ton of real events to deal with and political options.. I could go on forever.

Much like UC it's probably fair to describe it as niche.. what better recomendation could you want!

"the reviews were kinda low -- Any idea why? and does patching really help alot?"

In a regular game, me and my friend ran into two show stopping bugs - when certain countries invaded certain other countries. I was able to work around that by loading from a save and preventing that country from invading. One country in South America - and one in Africa did this to us. That was patch 1.03 - so I'm hoping the newest patches fix that.

The main people who gave it low reviews didn't like the strategy being broken down so far - economy, etc. DOES matter. If that country doesn't have any roads - no $hit it's going to take a long time to get a column of tanks to pass through. You have to build roads and until you do only elite units will be able to get through easily. There is a lot of depth - though it can get annoying if you aren't willing to learn.

I used to have Medieval: Total War - just like Shogun Total War... not sure how many can play MP at once though...

It was alright - but Rome: Total War coming out soon is supposed to be really good.

Personally I like Hearts of Iron best... but Rome may be better for me.