When game development fails

It's a sad story, and I am sure a very scary one to anyone in the game development business.

What I want to know is where these publishers come up with their data as to what will/will not sell and therefore be developed/cancelled.

Maybe my own particular taste in games lies in the vast minority, but I am constantly seeing games that seem to have great potential and depth cancelled in favor of games that seem to be catering to idiots. I've grown to abhor "-lite" or "more accessible" or "broader appeal" in a game's description, not to mention all these console ports that keep turning up like those unsavory relatives that always turn up around Christmas with no invitation.

I think these publishers, if they approve the idea at all, should let the development of these games run their course and actually see how they sell in the real world rather than guess how they'll sell. Granted, I can understand if they pull the plug because of some gross negligence from the developers, but barring that, they should see it through or never approve the development in the first place. Gaming news overflows lately with projects that are canned halfway through development.

Like I said earlier, either my tastes in games are completely atypical, or publishers are really losing touch with what gamers really want.

Well, its true that most games cater to idiots these days and its a shame. But you are forgetting the fact that 90% of the people that play video games are infact idiots. How else can you explain the rampaging WW2 FPS genre? Because all the idiots haven't figured out yet "Oh yeah, this is the same game as EVERY OTHER MoH GAME!"

quote:

Originally posted by DeepFreeze:

But you are forgetting the fact that 90% of the people that play video games are infact idiots.

LMOA!!! If I went and said that, in no time flat, it would be on every major news site, mag, milk carton, side of a bus, tatooed on some guy's ass etc

quote:

Originally posted by DeepFreeze:

But you are forgetting the fact that 90% of the people that play video games are in fact idiots.

The 90% you speak of are those people who have either an IQ below 90 or they are too young to have a developed IQ. This includes the Publishers.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

LMAO!!! If I went and said that, in no time flat, it would be on every major news site, mag, milk carton, side of a bus, tatooed on some guy's ass etc

/Heads back to the Tattoo parlor for some editing work.

Oh, BTW, I spewed Cheerios all over the place this morning when I read the milk carton.

quote:

LMOA!!! If I went and said that, in no time flat, it would be on every major news site, mag, milk carton, side of a bus, tatooed on some guy's ass etc

And thus is the benefit of not being a walking flame target like a certain game developer I know...

...but you all know what i said is true