Soldner: Secret Wars Review

Bandus

Let me tell you about my afternoon. At about 5:30PM I decided I wanted to go buy this game. I've heard a lot about it, played the demo and it was pretty fun. So I go out and buy it. Before I leave I start downloading the patch so that it will be ready by the time I get back.

So, I buy the game and come home, install it, patch it. I start it up and thats when all hell breaks loose. This game feels like it's still in mid-beta. There are strange issues where if you equip certain weapons, and look a certain direction the game will lag. You can look in all other directions, except when you come to a certain point in a specific direction and then it lags to unplayability.

The single player is worse than in BF1942. Good lord it's stupid. Multiplayer would be a lot of fun if it wasn't for the aforementioned lag issue. Also, 9 times out of 10 trees aren't rendered properly. You'll see SOME trees, but not all of the trees. This usually results in you flying into a tree doing about 250 km/h in a helicopter or something. You wouldn't believe how pissed of your team gets when you crash a Commanche into the trees. Lets say for a minute, hypothetically speaking, you manage to get around the trees, aiming in a helicopter or plane for that matter is a joke. The shots do not land in the crosshairs. In fact, they USUALLY land about an inch and a half above the crosshairs, it's ridiculous. Piloting and gunning is damn near impossible though having two people, a pilot and a gunner, isn't much better.

I hope to God they continue to patch this game because it needs polish. A lot of it. If your planning on buying this game, I strongly advise you to hold off a bit until they get it fixed up a bit.

quote:

Originally posted by Bandus:

I hope to God they continue to patch this game because it needs polish. A lot of it. If your planning on buying this game, I strongly advise you to hold off a bit until they get it fixed up a bit.

Yea, they're going the route of Flashpoint, and see what a successful game that turned out to be in the end? I don't know how many of you remember the release of Operation: Flashpoint? Version 1.0 was so buggy that while codemasters pushed it out the door in Europe, they waited another month or two for all the serious bugs to get fixed. I had it imported at this time; and while it was fun, it was terrible in the same sense. The AI didn't do half of what it was supposed to do (but it was better than S├Âldner's; but it came from a time where AI was considered important for a game; unfortunate that it obviously wasn't deemed important in this case). And lag was terrible.

I've been observing the forums on the S├Âldner website since its european release, and the US is much better off than the Germans and Brits are. What the guys in europe got was an even worse beta.

My guess is that JoWood pushed this game out the door early, and didn't get lucky this time. (To my understanding Gothic and Gothic 2 were both pushed out early, surprising, with how few bugs they had at release.)

I might go and pick this game up still though. Even with the bugs its an awesome game; I play the demo regularly now. I have a feeling that by november they'll have all the serious glitches worked out, and hopefully an AI that actually shoots...

EDIT: Oh, and Bandus; if you want more information on the current status of S├Âldner go here.

Heh, what a half-naive idjit...

He seems a little contradictory; one moment he's plotting the death of Wings, the next moment he's praising the demo (Now that he can get it to work.).

The truth is its just an awesome demo. For people who can run it. It won't run on my other computer in the house; it meets specs, but it just won't run.... Its not the ATI thing either, that got fixed with the Catalyst 4.6 Drivers. Personally I think that S├Âldner is better than Joint Ops (Way too arcadish for me) and Battlefield: Vietnam (Once again, way too arcadish for me).

Will people stop spelling it Zoldner though? Thats really starting to piss me off being as its blatantly wrong; leave it to the un-intellectual America to frigging kill an accent from another country.

[ 06-25-2004, 12:36 PM: Message edited by: Cmdr. WeeGee ]

I love the concept and look of Soldner. It's just running into invisible trees is so damn frustrating. What's even more frustrating is that if you rotate the camera you can see trees that you can't see when your looking straight forward.

I'm sure it'll get fixed with time, but for now I'm playing it frustrated. :-)

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr. WeeGee:

Will people stop spelling it Zoldner though? Thats really starting to piss me off being as its blatantly wrong; leave it to the un-intellectual America to frigging kill an accent from another country.

Don't go there plz or you will just cause people to invoke a bunch of instances where Europeans can't speak English, let alone write it. Its bad enough that people like you - who should know English - end up writing rubbish like un-intellectual. I mean, seriously.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Don't go there plz or you will just cause people to invoke a bunch of instances where Europeans can't speak English, let alone write it. Its bad enough that people like you - who should know English - end up writing rubbish like
un-intellectual
. I mean, seriously.

Good point. I caught the early morning stupids (again ).

On another note, anyone here want to join in a game of the S├Âldner demo tonight? Might be fun.

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr. WeeGee:

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Don't go there plz or you will just cause people to invoke a bunch of instances where Europeans can't speak English, let alone write it. Its bad enough that people like you - who should know English - end up writing rubbish like
un-intellectual
. I mean, seriously.

Good point. I caught the early morning stupids (again ).

Guest kenny87

I didn't find Op:Flash to be that buggy, granted the AI would do some weird stuff like run the rest of the squad over with a BMP/M113, but I've seen people do that online.

Not once do I remember the game crashing, but maybe they fixed that in the 1.1 patch (which I think came out the following friday, game only arrived on thursday!)

Ermm, we won't mention multiplayer ok?

Back to Soldner, beta demo was buggy even for a beta. Hopefully they've fixed most of the stuff like overly responsive helies, and vehicles that swing round and hit you in the arse when you exit them. Well guess I'll have to wait for them to release the bloody v3 demo

[ 06-26-2004, 10:30 PM: Message edited by: Kenworthy ]

Guest kenny87

"Other annoyances include no auto-reload for weapons"

Are people becoming so dumb that they don't know what to do when the bullets stop coming out?

Other than that it was a good review.