The return of SLI

The current trend in PC scalability and performance is going to result in a new type of system (chained PCs) that will require a 220 volt ac power connection. Like your dryer. :LOL

Right now, Nvidia might be a little concerned about their future since a new type of 3D CRT has been developed, one that produces a 3D picture without the need for a clunky pair of glasses or a GPU.

I foresee alot of epileptic seizures in the very near future.

Man, I can just imagine how much heat this system is going to produce. If the AC vendors were smart, they'd start marketing direct hookups into your PC box.

I almost forgot, what about the power requirements? These Nvidia cards are already coming with dual power connectors. This keeps up and we are going to have to get a PSU just for the video card alone.

This leads me to question, why can ATI keep their cards to one slot, and one power connector, but Nvidia cannot? Hmm....

Hoofah. Dual processors, hell why not dual videocards? I guess they were packing major bongs when they thought this one up.

Late one Friday night at NVidia two engineers contemplate the future of video technology.

"Screw advancement maaaaan," *cough, cough, cough* "let's just sell em two cards linked!"

Leaning forward in a beanbag chair to grab away the hookah, "DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE! That is such a righteous idea!"

You have to admit, the simplicity of the idea is magical... or should I say herbally mystifying.

I don't see where linking two PCI graphics cards is going to boost video performance to any significant degree. You will still have the bottleneck at the CPU and the MOBOs bus speed.

When 3DFx was selling their so called SLI magic bullet, I gave it a try. I really didn't notice any Supercallafragilisticexpyalladocious benefit in using the thing.

So what is Nvidia's intent here?

Elimination of the main bottleneck in every PC on the planet in regard to graphics processing?

I think they just want to sell more chip sets and increase board sales for their vendors.

I think I'll send them a couple of questions:::

1. What are you guys smoking?

2. Would you mind sharing some of it?

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

Nvidias new SLI Solution is netting over 20,000 in 3dmark03 according to early reports. In some games that are shader intensive or Fill rate/Bandwidth limited they are averaging 70% faster than a Single card solution. With peak performance gains of 1.87X

This is of course under Drivers that have not been tweaked to the wall yet.

Four slots? How so?

Hopefully, if they have any brain cells capable of firing neurons, the first board will sit in the AGP slot and the second board in the first PCI slot. Maybe they wil opt for an external box.

Is everyone ready to put a second case on their desk?

quote:

Originally posted by Wolferz:

Four slots? How so?

Hopefully, if they have any brain cells capable of firing neurons, the first board will sit in the AGP slot and the second board in the first PCI slot. Maybe they wil opt for an external box.

Is everyone ready to put a second case on their desk?

It appears that they will be using this with their PCI Express cards which will be no farther apart than current PCI slots.

Here is a Link with info about SLI that looked interesting.

Check out Alienware's website. They have their own version of PCI express and a MoBo they co-created, along with the synching software and an 800 watt PS to drive this monster.

edit: After perusing your link, Jam, it appears that Alienware is planning to use something similar to Nvidia's setup, although the Alienware website boasts a pending patent on the idea.

Going forward, the news from the front lines should become quite interesting.

[ 07-04-2004, 10:04 AM: Message edited by: Wolferz ]