Radeon 7500/8500 should you buy?????

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

I am a Kyro2 owner.

I will need to upgrade to a better card with T&L support for all the great games (especially BCM) being released. I had thought about a GF3 card, but John Carmack says it will take it 5 passes to render a single frame of Doom 2000. He says that the Radeon 8500 will probobly accomplish it in One or Two passes.

I read a coupple "Prieviews" of the R8500. It was not as fast as a GF3, and it has driver issues. ATI sems to always have sucky drivers. But, I dont want to get a GF3 if it will take 5 passes to do doom 2000. The Radeon 8500 has superior technology, but I am not sure if I want to be saddled with driver issues for the next year.

Anyone have any feelings on this? SC, how does the Radeon 8500/7500 handle BCM? Do you have any thoughts on the matter?

[ 09-26-2001: Message edited by: Hellbinder[CE] ]

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does it matter if a Geforce 3 takes 5 passes and gets 70 FPS and a raiden takes 2 passes and gets 20 FPS?

Personally I'll take a Geforce 3 over a raiden because of the bad drivers.

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

Each pass will slash the fill rate and FPS by quite a margin.

anything over 3 will kill performance in a major way redardless of drivers.

With 5 passes Doom 2000 will likeley barley get 60 FPS(max) at 1024x768x32 and dip into lows far below that. Carmack says that a GF2 GTS will average 30fps in doom 2000 at 800x600

Well, the Radeon cards do look promising on paper, but if the drivers can't back up the hardware, then what good is the hardware???

I too am looking for a vidcard, and I pretty much have set my sites on a Geforce. Why, because the drivers work.

I am going to wait and see what these new ATI drivers are truely capable of.

Don't wait. I have a GeForce 2 Ultra, when I first played the BCM demo, I ahd to do 1 tweak, z-buffering. In demo 2 BCM no tweaks.

Never liked ATI, would rather be piloting a freighter being attacked by a Stormcarrier than use ATI.

Look at the DETONATOR XP driver upgrade for the GeForce 3 - 30% increase!

I think I made a good choice despite the mental masturbation inherent in reading about what the Radeon SHOULD do... we'll see, but for now with such increases in the GeForce 3 just through driver upgrades and more promises in the future, I think I'm good to go.

No! Get a GF3.

ATI are notorious for bloody frigging awful drivers. I don't care if the f*cking card leaps out and gives me a 200fps blowjob - there's NO way I'm recommending ANY ATI card to anyone. EVAR!

[ 09-27-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

ATI are notorious for bloody frigging awful drivers. I don't care if the f*cking card leaps out and gives me a 200fps blowjob - there's NO way I'm recommending ANY ATI card to anyone. EVAR!

Um... okay I think SC agrees with me...

although you would have to admit that if a video card had that listed on it's box as a "feature" you would be tempted to buy it...

I have a Radeon and I've been regreting it since the day I bought it. I'd rather play at 25 FPS if everything's running smoothly than 300 FPS with constant graphical glitches and all sorts of visual issues.

PS: I have a wonderful ATI Radeon for sale, almost new, in case someone is interested

PPS: I'm not kidding

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

No! Get a GF3.

[ 09-27-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Well that settles that!!!

quote:

Originally posted by emphy:

Hector Socas Navarro

Heh, which version, what cost, and do you ship to Europe?

Radeon DDR 32Mb, they seem to be selling at e-bay for about $50, so I'd be happy with $40.

Yes, I'd ship to Europe. Heck, if you wait until Xmas I can probably deliver it to your door myself

Here is another thing that I won't recommend:

Saitek Cyborg 3D Digital

Yup....This thing is good only for 6 months and then.....It's totally and utterly f**ked!!

By the way this is the second one I had

Hehe I've seen it on sale at EB in Oxford. It's not as expensive as you think.

I almost bought it but I decided on the 3D Digital model (second time) as I liked the feel to it. Too bad it didn't last long with me......Does anyone know a joystick thats "Fendi proof"?.

*Ponders why he had to replace his turbo twice in his 200SX*

I guess I was just a wee bit rough on my joysticks.

I blame it all on the space sim genres that I love playing. Tachyon took my first Saitek followed by EOC. I wonder what joystick is BCM gonna take?

Oh did I tell you guys what happened to my Porsche 924's gearbox a couple of years back?

Man, most of the time I jump on the "MS sucks" bandwagon. But, hey! I've beat the crap out of my Sidewinder 3D stick. It's the original released many years ago. I bought it after my WingMan' fire trigger took a dive (I loved that stick ).

When I mean abused, I am heavy handed and have yet to break the bastard. I think it's the one MS Hardware item that was made with qaulity in mind, cuz God knows the newer ones suck