Doom 3 - The Official Thread

Scrivener

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been playing the game for a couple hours. It's neat and all, but not the most astounding thing you've ever played. Pretty much a straight-forward FPS very much like Half-Life, but on Mars.

So far my one complaint - and for me it's a big, big issue - is that bodies disintigrate right before your very eyes the instant you kill something... even innocent miners that you can kill before the whole hell invasion thing happens.

I hate hate hate hate hate the whole vanishing bodies thing in video games - especially when you have a computer like mine. I'd like to have the option to keep bodies around until I leave, thanks. And the effect is kinda silly too. They turn into a skeleton and then dissapear one giant pixel at a time (like the crappy dissolve effect from Powerpoint).

Other than that, it's very much "Space Station of the Living Dead" with only the best graphics you've ever seen in a game.

But for heavens sakes, Id, give me the option to keep the bodies!

Guest Fox__Trot

Anyway this is "The worlds quickest ever review of doom 3 ever so there"

Nothing new here beyond graphics.

My rating 7/10

PS: Very Scary.

This is insanely tragic. These are clips I got off a few websites. I compiled them so no links. Though a quick google.com search can confirm this.

quote:

The eagerly awaited blockbuster computer game, Doom 3, has been leaked on the internet.

Copies of the game on file-sharing networks and newsgroups are being downloaded by thousands of people.

The cost to the game's makers, id Software, could run into hundreds of thousands of pounds in lost sales.

The sci-fi horror title has been four years in the making and is due to go on sale in the US on Tuesday and next week in the UK.

Widely downloaded

Doom 3 is the second follow-up to the 1993 first-person shooting classic.

Developing a game like it can cost game developers like id Software in the region of $15m (£8.3m) to $20m (£11.1m).

Its release is the gaming equivalent of the third film in the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

In the US, the game is expected to retail for $54.99 and is expected to sell in the millions.

Some US stores are planning to officially start selling the game on Tuesday, but copies are reported to have appeared in a few shops over the weekend.

Potential sales could be hit by the extent of online piracy of the game.

Copies of it appeared on newsgroups and peer-to-peer networks over the weekend.

At one point on Sunday, more than 50,000 copies of the game, which weighs in at more than 1.5 gigabytes, were being downloaded.

Translated in lost sales, this amounts to $2.7m (£1.5m), if all these people instead bought the game.

"Despite the relatively low price of PC games, many gamers are still choosing to resort to piracy rather than pay for legitimate boxed copies," said Matt Pierce, publisher of the computer games magazine, PC Gamer.

"Since Doom 3 is one of the most eagerly awaited PC games ever, it was almost inevitable that it was going to be leaked online following its US release.

"Whereas in the case of Doom 3, it almost certainly won't prevent the game being a massive seller, it will still cost both the publishers and developers of the game millions of dollars in lost revenue, an outcome that can only serve to harm future game development on the PC," he told BBC News Online.

At the time of publication, no one was available to comment from the game's publishers, Activision.

The game is great... it's a shooter but they added a few cool things like the PDAs and stuff like that which gives you a bit of a back story and some puzzle solving to do (which is find a PDA and go through emails etc to find codes for lockers etc). I have not gotten very far into the game but the atmosphere is second to none. You do jump when you play this game. There are cool features like metal grates that fall off the walls and the clatter makes you jump... and even body parts fall from ceilings etc now and then.

I have the graphics settings set to high at a resolution of 1024x768. The bodies disappearing doesn't really bug me, I don't really notice the human bodies reacting this way too quickly but the monster bodies (the fireball throwing things) do just disintegrate... but its just their own fire power devouring them. I think the bodies stick around long enough and the human bodies only disintegrate in a hail of spinal columns etc when you shoot the crap out of them with the shotgun (haven't gotten to the powerful weapons yet).

ANYWAY... the graphics are superb... the sounds are first rate... when the crap hits the fan and the marines etc are screaming bloody murder it is tough to remain focused. This is Dawn of the Dead on Mars and it is MEAN.

Don't be a wussy, keep that brightness turned down and keep the fear level HIGH. So many corners, so many monsters... but zombie flesh eating humans is always a crowd pleaser.

9/10

Man I hate what they have done with imps... they are supposed to be slow! Not fast and deadly! Its a life or death situation every time you open a door to another room-- and the best part is, you cant easily predict where they will come from because of the amount of detail! This is a GREAT game and I recommend it to anyone who wants a good scare.

By the way, what difficulty is everyone playing the game on?

9/10

I've been playing for a couple of days now. The game is excellent!!!

The rooms and levels are so well done and detailed that you feel like you are in a base not just in a box like many other FPS's make you feel.

Lighting is superb, sound is very well done and the overall ambience and mood is incredible.

Everything is very well done and very polished.

Monsters, weapons, effects everything is top notch. 10/10 from me.

I highly reccomend playing in a dark room with the surround sound system cranked. I can't count the number of times its made me jump out of my chair in the last couple days.

Oh, and I'll have to update my profile to reflect the 6800 Gt I picked up .

Guest Fox__Trot

I duno doom3's pulling the Far Cry affect with me im just not enjoying it... maybe I dont like shooters

Ps: Farcry affect... simply put farcry was beautiful the soldiers smart the missions hard... but it wasnt FUN for me

Yeah I have the standard 6800 and I love it so the GT must be sweet! I got my card through eVGA so I might upgrade it (they give you 90 days to upgrade) but the performance I'm getting with Doom is rock solid even with the 128 card. I just have a tough time convincing myself that $500 for a card is justifiable heheh...

This is a fair review and accurate given that I am currently playing the game and have the same gripes. Admittedly I am playing this game slowly, for one after spending $54.99 I don't really want to finish it quickly, secondly I am playing through Far Cry at the same time and lastly and maybe mostly Doom 3 can stress me out!

What I did find funny was that this game warranted a three page review. I could have summed this review up in three paragraphs. You would think this guy had been playing a game with some meat, like say, oh I dunno... Universal Combat. Unfortunately that's the game they sum up in three paragraphs. *shrugs*

For a scare and a good time doing things you've done for ten years with shooters Doom3 is great. It is a vision to behold (even if creepy as all hell) but they didn't reinvent the wheel. They just put some pimpin rims on that old El Dorado known as Doom and threw a DVD player in the back seat. Still a smooth as glass ride but none of the newer bells and whistles.

Peace

quote:

Originally posted by Takvah:

What I did find funny was that this game warranted a three page review. I could have summed this review up in three paragraphs. You would think this guy had been playing a game with some meat, like say, oh I dunno... Universal Combat. Unfortunately that's the game they sum up in three paragraphs. *shrugs*

Yeah, go figure.

Yeah Jamotto was right the link is for the ad.

However, Derek I would just like you to know that your game Universal Combat was worth the $39.99 price you initially negotiated. I know that this is a sore subject but given the fact that I have bought a videocard that included a $39.99 game bundled (Far Cry) and then spent $54.99 on Doom 3 your game to me at least, was worth the additional price points. I know I might be the minority but your game never ceases to amaze with the amount of different options available to the commander. For that there needs to be ample consideration made. Doom 3 is $54.99 with one way to finish a mission... your game in Free Roam at least, gives me an endless array of possibilities. You should be rewarded. Yeah, yeah you can say I am blowing smoke up the SC's ass but let me tell you, there is a premium that should be paid for games that give you OPTIONS. Hats off SC, I just spent $54.99 on a game that gives you none and I don't feel cheated. BUT I truly did feel as if you were cheated given the myriad of options that YOUR game provides. I hope that you will self publish "Hold the Line" and that I will be given an opportunity to pay you what it is worth... at my last calculation at least $54.99. Bandus and I have also discussed that we intend to attend you next after party and come armed with spit balls... remember we're LOCALS *snickers*

Love ya... ya bastard.

Takvah

Bandus you grab his arms this guy looks ready to throw!

Hello,

I find Doom 3 extremely boring and not impressive at all. Sure, the details at high resolutions are better, but when you looked at that for a few hours you don't watch it anymore, and you just get frustrated with monsters attacking you all the time, from all sides, so you can't defend yourself. I've had situations where an imp took only 1 shot from the shotgun, and then another imp, at 45 degrees of the first one at the same distance, took 5-6 shots. WTF is up with that?

Another thing, is that at one point you have to decide to do something, or not. But, no matter what you chose, the game just runs the same, perhaps with a different ending (don't know) but there is no indication what you should choose, or why, even if you do take the time to read all the boring logs that lay around everywhere.

Also there are some websites in the logs. So, you have to quit the game, load up the site, then wait about 5 minutes for doom and your game to load so you can continue.

And, probably in a few months or years the websites mentioned in the logs will be gone, so there's no point in having them in the game.

My prediction is that it will sell, but word will spread over how bad it really is, and Id will probably disappear. A shame, really.

Greetings,

Wouter Dijkslag

quote:

Yeah Jamotto was right the link is for the ad.

However, Derek I would just like you to know that your game Universal Combat was worth the $39.99 price you initially negotiated. I know that this is a sore subject but given the fact that I have bought a videocard that included a $39.99 game bundled (Far Cry) and then spent $54.99 on Doom 3 your game to me at least, was worth the additional price points. I know I might be the minority but your game never ceases to amaze with the amount of different options available to the commander. For that there needs to be ample consideration made. Doom 3 is $54.99 with one way to finish a mission... your game in Free Roam at least, gives me an endless array of possibilities. You should be rewarded. Yeah, yeah you can say I am blowing smoke up the SC's ass but let me tell you, there is a premium that should be paid for games that give you OPTIONS. Hats off SC, I just spent $54.99 on a game that gives you none and I don't feel cheated. BUT I truly did feel as if you were cheated given the myriad of options that YOUR game provides. I hope that you will self publish "Hold the Line" and that I will be given an opportunity to pay you what it is worth... at my last calculation at least $54.99. Bandus and I have also discussed that we intend to attend you next after party and come armed with spit balls... remember we're LOCALS *snickers*

Love ya... ya bastard.

Takvah

Bandus you grab his arms this guy looks ready to throw!

Awwwwwww, I'm all choked up.

Anyway, ucHTL has some surprises in store and I'm not going to say ANYTHING about them until the very last minute.

quote:

Originally posted by Wody:

and Id will probably disappear. A shame, really.

Highly, highly unlikely

quote:

They just put some pimpin rims on that old El Dorado known as Doom and threw a DVD player in the back seat.

Hehe exactly!!!

Its nothing new, but rather something old done extremely well.

BTW go to www.martianbuddy.com to get a locker code for the packages they deliver.