Have to buy new Grafikcard, need help :-)

Well the Geforce 2 MX 400 has T&L (an older version) but doesn't have a Vertex Shader. Also, it was designed for Direct X 7. The ATI 9200, was designed for Direct X 9, so it has a next generation T&L Engine and a next generation Vertex Shader (vs the older one that was made for DX8.1). I just upgraded my Compaq from a Geforce 2 to the 9200 and Star Wars Galaxies runs 3X Faster. In all honesty though, I was never able to get that stupid card out of PCI compatability mode.

That are good news, really good ones :-)

I still play BCMG, i cant get the PTA Turrets to Work, theyre Angel is way to low (5-10 Degree) is this changed in UC? (full 360 Degreecover?)

im looking now on some Pics from UC, i cant believe the Models, the Navalcarriers are awesome, i found a pic with a underwaterbase, how can we destroy it?!

quote:

Originally posted by Darkreaver1980:

I cant get the PTA Turrets to Work,

It all depends on the ship that you use, some have more guns than others and so your coverage is going to be different.

Also, all ships have blind spots, you should try to learn what your ships blind spot is so you can make sure that you maneuver your enemy away from your blind spot to be able to get them.

Last point... You need to make sure that you are within range of your target to get them.

I tryed the Firestorm Supercarrier, its PTA Cover is crazy :-)

Now back to UC, are there new /Spacecrafts/ships/Vehicles in which i can pilot? Are there still these amazing OTS aviable (they must rock with UC Visuals, i remember when i first used these OTS and beamed myself with the Teleport down, just to figuare out that the Blast killed me to:-p)

quote:

I tryed the Firestorm Supercarrier, its PTA Cover is crazy :-)

Yeah that one has like 10 turrents! It's my favorite ship.

quote:

Now back to UC, are there new /Spacecrafts/ships/Vehicles in which i can pilot? Are there still these amazing OTS aviable (they must rock with UC Visuals)

If you take a look at the Manual Addendum, it will show you all the Spacecraft/Ships/Vehicles that you can pilot. There's quite a few new ones.

Since I'd always had some issues with my GF3 card I kinda borrowed my daughters Radeon 9200 and to my surprise UC works alot better with the Radeon card.

Alot of flickering has vanished, the skybox is marvelous and when I run in window mode the window itself is much more responsive.(Like to mine or go on long trade routes while surfing the net).

Feels like I must get rid of that GF3 card and upgrade mysystem. (sigh I was hoping it would last until my studies were done).

To conclude:I stand behind darkling - Radeon 9200 works like a charm with UC (dunno what kinda drivers I'm using but I think they are the latest public ones)

Cheers

Argh, i have buyed the SE edition from Radeon 9200 (it runs at 64 bit, not with 128 like most cards now), i searched the web and found several Threats about how bad this Card is....

i really have not much money, so i buyed this card, it support direct x 8 Shader, so i can play UC which i have also ordered. As i sayd i use a Geforce 2 MX 400 now with 175/166 clock frequenzy

I even play X2 the Threat at 1024 Resulution at 20-30 Frames...

Now my question, is my new card a bit faster that my old? or only a bader chard which supports Directx 8 Shader?

Guest Fox__Trot

if its a radeon 9200 card it's basicly as fast as the g4 ti4200 (I think) with newer features and dx 9 support

honestly though you should look for a 9600 if you can find a cheap one from somewhere just because the perfomance gain betwain the 9200 and 9600 is fairly descent

still the 9200's a fine card

quote:

Its the Radeon 9200 but the weaker SE edition, the 9200 runs at 128 bits the SE only at 64 and i know that this card only support directX 8

WRONG!

The 9000 Series supports DX 8.1, while the 9200 Series supports DX9.

Darkling ,

that is incorrect, the 9200 is a DX8.1 chip only.

The 9600 on the other hand is DX9 compliant.

I was sure of this , but I double checked on ati's product page before posting.

[ 03-09-2004, 06:13 PM: Message edited by: Onikaze ]

Now i have my Copy of UC but my Grafikcard hasent arrived yet :-(

i played UC without Pixel&Vertex Shader (possible with 3d Analyze) i really like the new round Hud, is much more better. All textures are wrong and i dont even see ships, if i do planetfall than it just crashes. , the strange thing is, that i have BCMG Grafiks in UC. (like Weaponfire, shield effects)I play now UC just in Tacops mode, with this i dont need any grafics , because all units have a square + name around em

Damn i want my new Card

[ 03-09-2004, 12:19 PM: Message edited by: Darkreaver1980 ]

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same deal as you, reaver. My system has a geforce mx440. I bought the game without realizing vertex shader requirements, but oh well! This geforce mx440 is a subpar card for a lot of games anyway, so I'll be preparing myself to buy a new card sometime soon. Do you recommend me getting BCMG to tide myself over while the time goes by?

quote:

Originally posted by Onikaze:

Darkling ,

that is incorrect, the 9200 is a DX8.1 chip only.

The 9600 on the other hand is DX9 compliant.

I was sure of this , but I double checked on ati's product page before posting.

Looks like you are correct, I had originally checked on CompUSA's Website and it said that the 9000 was DX8.1, but the 9200 was DX9 but after checking ATI's website, I saw that information was mistaken. Apparently, the 9000 is even better than the 9200 SE, since it has higher bandwidth and a higher clock rating, but the 9200 is a direct replacement for the 9000.

Confusing to say the least.

quote:

Originally posted by Darkling:

Confusing to say the least.

Yeah I was doing a bit of research yesterday to finally clear up the whole labeling debacle going on with all of these cards, because one of my brother's clients was wanted a 9200.

Check out some of these charts on TOMS ( I know some people don't trust the site, but the graphs are clear at least )

Toms VGA chart's III

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone looked into the new FX 6800 Ultra from nVidia yet? This card is amazing, and appears to be poised to shine up nVidia's tarnished reputation. I read the review on Tom's Hardware and he seemed impressed, and rightly so. It has amazing benchmark numbers at phenomenal resolutions, you should have a look-see.

View the article here and see what I'm talking about. Of course, I can't afford one of these bad boys myself, but I can certainly dream and drool over it. If only I were independently wealthy...