Anyone else tried Star Wars Galaxies?

Scrivener

So I got my beta copy of Star Wars Galaxies for having the game pre-ordered. Now that I've played about as much as I can stand without being paid, there's only one good thing I can say about it - Character creation is kinda neat. Galaxies is ugly, slow/choppy, boring, unintuitive, and sacreligous to all things Star Wars - the towns are more maze-like than anything out of the early days of EQ, when turning up visual settings (Which really don't help the game much, it still looks bland and uninteresting) it brings the whole ugly game down to a crawl. I kept going back, hoping it would be better the next time around... but it isn't. I guess I've invested maybe 6-8 hours into it. Am I totally wrong, or does SWG just really, really suck?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is still beta

The screen shots look nice.

What are your computers specs?

run around los angeles and tell me how the place is designed.

Last I looked calling Coruscant a maze would be a generous understatment.

Give it more time. It takes more that 6 to 8 hours to get a good idea of BCM on your first time playing. I would guess that it will start out slow and get better.

I remember alot of talk about the Jedi thing and from what I remember they said it wasgoing to be very difficult to become one.

quote:

Originally posted by Scrivener:

Am I totally wrong, or does SWG just really, really suck?

Your reviewing Beta code - not optimised and only the testers and the admins on line to test the game. I'll say no more for fear of breaking NDA but you can not review a game based on BETA code.

Well, since it releases in a little over a week, I think it's safe to say that they aren't gonna make any ground-breaking changes to the code...

Right now that the NDA is gone.

A lot of optimisation code work is being done in the final few days before shipping but even then SWG requires a fairly hefty PC to run it. Even with the beta code it ran on almost full detail on my Rig! As with most MMORPG's it's the community that really makes the game (much like here!)

I have mine on pre-order now and am looking forward to the community expierence.

I have to say that I was extremely disappointed with SWG beta. If you were looking for some type of evolution to the MMORPG genre, you'll be very disappointed. If you're looking for Everquest in space (except for that part isn't shipping upon release so it's essentially Everquest with slightly different rules and setting), then you'll be happy. They add, improve, and tweak the Everquest model.

Oh well, I'll pass, but hopefully people who pick it up and know what to expect will enjoy their purchase. Seems like everything related to Star Wars has turned to crap ever since the added dance number in Return of the Jedi (or maybe since Greedo shot first depending on your taste).

Heaven help him if he ever tried a BC game. Sounds like there are a few bugs in the system still but he justcame in with too high of expectations and not enough poeple to interact with. I think that MMOG"s shouldn't be reviewd until a comunity has time to be established. because, well, w/o it there really isn't much left to a MMOG.

I ordered mine awhile ago =) Collectors edition

and as for a review.. I personaly don't follow reviews that are made a day to a month after the game is release'd

I get a game depending on what I think of it

(Plus the guild im in was in Beta so I follow what they told me..) and just to let ya know.. this guild was in Earth and Beyond so thats why im with them on SWG

quote:

and as for a review.. I personaly don't follow reviews that are made a day to a month after the game is release'd

huh? why not? this is a mmog that has been in the making for years and i think a year on open beta, if they release the game buggy I want to know about it right now. as opposed to a regular game, i cannot buy the game and just wait for patches, I have to pay while I wait.

Meh, all those naysayers are full of themselves.

I played in beta and I played a little yesterday. The game has come a LONG way and I think, overall, it was ready for release.

All that shit about the servers is stuff that happened on the hardware side and with their oracle database system. None of the problems occured in beta so they had no way of knowing that it would happen. Even their backup hardware developed obscure issues.

You can cry "poor planning" all you want, but I'd like to see you plan for that much unexpected crap. Murphy just decided to attack the SWG servers yesterday. Besides, they are reimbursing everyone the one free day that they missed out on...

You know, since Planetside (yes, that game again) and SWG are both from Sony (albeit different dev teams), but that Sony use a single login server for all its games (including EQ), the crappy SWG launch created login problems for PS players

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

This guy obviously hasn't played the game = I hate false reviews

for smarters.. most vecs where taken out due to the ammount of time it would take you to creat them.. however they have already said that there will be a patch where vecs will be added

Combat - combat is always boring.. nothing new (Well.. in BCMG combat is kinda fun )

Crafting - alright this is boring for some but fun for others

bugs - this guy has no clue does he? anyone with a brain would know that its IMPOSSIBLE for a game to be released without a few bugs

I mean look at Planetside.. when we where beta testing it the servers where very stable.. HOWEVER the momment the servers went live and we got a major influx of players.. the servers went unstable. There is no way in the world that you can predict the outcome of what will happen to a server the momment your game goes live

Personaly I suggest you try it yourselve... dont trust reviews that are made on the same day the game is release'd.

quote:

Combat - combat is always boring.. nothing new

WRONG. Combat is boring when you have to click only a few times (or worse, once, as in EnB) to fight until either you or your opponent is beaten. Combat is FUN when you decide every detail of the combat. When you aim. Lead moving targets. Hide and reload. Crouch behind crates. PULL THE TRIGGER YOURSELF (instead of instructing your character to do it).

How "fun" a game is depends alot on the combat model a game uses. I found games like Dungeon Siege and Neverwinter Nights very boring, however Morrowind was a fun game, mostly because how it handled player actions and combat. Playing a RPG like EQ, diablo is like watching TV, you just press a few buttons and for the most you're just a spectator.

quote:

I mean look at Planetside.. when we where beta testing it the servers where very stable.. HOWEVER the momment the servers went live and we got a major influx of players.. the servers went unstable. There is no way in the world that you can predict the outcome of what will happen to a server the momment your game goes live

WRONG once again .. the game's launch was excellent. Servers weren't any worse than in beta. Only the patch download was slow, but that's a different thing altogether. Furthermore, the game start was pretty smooth since not everyone got the game the same day. It was only a pain to find players to fight at the start, but that was expected. I got on the server at day 2.

You know..the reason I dropped my PS subscription to pick up SWG was because of one thing...turn based combat...

In swg, it doesn't matter if you're lagging, your character still fights without your help...besides, SWG combat is akin to any CRPG combat...it's really no different than the Squaresoft combat systems...

so...

Thats odd EP5.. I remember when the servers where unstable RIGHT after they went live (Before the players got to them,which explains why some people might've had to download a patch or two.. I didn't but most of the people in my outfit did).. you might not of had to download a patch... and for all I know you might not of even HEARD about the stibilty problems because they fixed them before anyone was able to get to teh servers

as for combat... IT IS BORING! but you don't listen. (Games like BCMG do not have boring combat) NWN's combat is ok.. same with DS's... Morrowinds combat I like I hate point and click combat (like EnB.. which is one of the main reasons I left that game, dispite the fact that I beta tested it) Eve-Onlines combat is a BIG JOKE = god the minings better.. at least in the mining you survive.

Well thats enough ranting.. next time EP5 read my post ok. Cause I was stating what i heard and from what I've observed