Anyone else tried Star Wars Galaxies?

Scrivener

There's absolutely no way you can convince me that they've had enough time to give that game a complete review...that'd be like playing BC for an hour and then claiming to know everything about it..

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea people who make reviews about a game that was JUST released shouldn't be allowed to.. well.. review (that guy at Guru.. he should've of cause I was at a friends yesterday and found out that allot of what he said was flat out bull sh*t)

Actually, as cynical as I am, I'd agree with pretty much everything said in the Guru review. SWG Galaxies is, essentially, where Anarchy Online was during it's first stage of Beta. That's really how bad it is. Maybe in 6 months to a year it will be almost playable... SWG is the biggest disaster in the history of MMOGs.

A friend of mine picked it up and so far I've not seen any major playability issues. It was quite funny watching him run away from the nest he had to destroy because there were too many critters for him to handle and after finally loosing them getting chased by more creatures and finally getting to the city where he was promptly shot at and ended up running through half the city to loose the people chasing him.

then he went to Tatooine and was promptly incapacitated by a womp rat and while lying there saw some other poor fellow getting chased by a greater womprat.

The only problem he seems to have had so far is getting credits and finding a group to join.

*sigh*

Give the game a couple months before reviewing it. Not all games have a smooth release,and just because swg didn't go as planed doesn't mean people shouldn't buy it. And what im about to say came from a beta tester, who clearly told me that the Live Servers are unstable BECAUSE they where not expecting this many people to join up in such a short amount of time. Personaly that guru review can kiss my *** they reviewed the game RIGHT after it was release'd that imo is a major no no. Anyone with a brain knows NOT to do that, but then again im guessing that A-hole didn't have a brain. Cause some of the stuff he said was a lie but then again thats natureal coming from a review, most of these reviewers hate what a game is made after,therefor they look for a REASON to make that review and when they find the reason they exploit it.

I still find it dumb that some of you people are going to beleave some of these reviews. But im still going to buy it, I do not trust reviews made a day or couple hours after release

Personally I'm still excited about this game. Currently I'm playing Anarchy online. I guess I was lucky with Anarchy to miss the startup problems that it had and because SWG won't get released in Europe until at least September then I should miss the startup problems with SWG too.

I am enjoying Anarchy Online at the moment and if SWG scrubs up as well I will be well happy.

Yeah, I caught that VIA Gamespot DREADA. I did read a few reviews about the game though and while I am going to wait awhile till more of the features are ready I will probably get it. The screenshots look very pretty and an MMPORG set in the Star Wars scene may be interesting.

From the BBC article:

quote:

Many thousands of people play net-based, multiplayer games such as EverQuest but the staying power of such systems is yet to be proven.

Umm, hasn't EQ been in service for like, 4 1/2 years? UO? Thats not staying power? I love it when someone that writes for the mass media makes a statement about something in gaming they know nothing about.

Another clueless statement:

quote:

The sheer number of people in the EverQuest world has made it a frustrating experience for many players and many are forced to queue to complete certain quests and adventures.

Gee, how many followup titles to EQ have solved the camping problem? Pretty much every one.

quote:

Umm, hasn't EQ been in service for like, 4 1/2 years? UO? Thats not staying power? I love it when someone that writes for the mass media makes a statement about something in gaming they know nothing about.

They mean OTHER games. Many MMOGs come around and disappear in 2 years life.

quote:

Name a few. The only canned one that I can think of, was Fighting Legends (or something like that)

I couldn't even think of one! Other than M59 but even that was resurrected by Near Death Studios, LOL! Even TheRealm is still up and running as far as I know.

Has anyone played or plays this MMOG JumpGate: The reconstruction initiative from 3do? I did buy the game months ago for $3 bucks (Gamestop) but didn't bother signing up for the online pay play. 3do is coming out Jumpgate II. So I am assuming the first one is still being played and is doing well. And if you've never heard of it check out http://www.gamespot.com/pc/sim/jumpgatetheri The game does look pretty.

quote:

I did buy the game months ago for $3 bucks (Gamestop) but didn't bother signing up for the online pay play.

Thats funny. I just bought the game the other day for $1.99 from an EB. Then it occurred to me after I left the store that the game may no longer be in service. But I figured for $2 and supposedly 30 days free, who cares? I remembered SC (I think it was on the GoneGold board) said it was the closest to a decent MMO space game.

quote:

3do is coming out Jumpgate II.

Don't count on it. 3DO is all but dead. Of course, another publisher could pick it up. I don't believe 3DO developed Jumpgate.

I did played jumpgate for a while, and while it was great - it lacked content, stuff that want you to play more. The AI was so predictable you have specific tactics to take out specific type of enemies. Gaining money was either running trade runs in space with a slow cargo vessel (the weight of the vessel and its cargo affect its acceleration and deceleration) between 2 stations, each run would take between 10 and 20 minutes, each way, or killing countless of conflux enemies. With the episode 2 that was released a while ago there is now profit to be done in war if you're good but many functional problems arised from the new features, and the fact that there no such thing as a safe zone would allow many people to go on with disruptive behaviour (although there's a bounty system)

3DO stopped being the publisher for jumpgate a LONG time ago. Jumpgate is owned and programmed by Netdevil, and the european server is ran by Mightygames.

Numbers compiled from the pilot info (by players) state that there have been around 1000 unique players online at any time, but with peaks going around 80 pilots at most. There has been a continual decrease, and players feel that the new measures adopted by netdevil are only so they can save the game (buy a combat ready pilot, 10 day free play for players that stopped paying&playing)

IMO jumpgate is dying =/

quote:

Thats funny. I just bought the game the other day for $1.99 from an EB. Then it occurred to me after I left the store that the game may no longer be in service. But I figured for $2 and supposedly 30 days free, who cares? I remembered SC (I think it was on the GoneGold board) said it was the closest to a decent MMO space game.

I did install it and tinkered with it but it piss poor if your not logged on to their server. Oh well at least the box is somewhat cool with a collectors number on it. Yeah I'll admit, I am game box collector. I have games and their boxes that I bought going back to the late 80's like Star flight 1 & 2, Space Quest III and the original Heroes Quest game before Sierra was sued over the game name and they changed it to Quest For Glory. Yeah I have boxes coming outa my rear orifice but the boxes are cool. I was really peeved off when they announced the smaller boxes but I have become acustomed to them and they are kinda cool even though they look like a bunch of mini-me's compared to their bigger cousins and they do give me more room for more boxes . You all may laugh now about the boxes but do you know that the last Atari game that came out for the original Atari console system is worth a fortune now but only if it's complete with box and all. Can't remember the name of the dang game.

And now BCMG has taken it's honored place among my box collection.

quote:

Originally posted by Spindoktor:

Thats funny lostinspace, I'm a game box collector myself. I'm keeping my eye open on ebay for a silver box of BC3K ver 1.0. Thats the crown jewel for me.

Cool. Alot of the game box art goes unrecognized and that's a shame. Hmmm, Silver box too bad it won't be a tin. I finally bought my first tin box with Jedi Knight II and it came with a light saber key chain very cool indeed . Hmmmm, ya think we should start a new topic Game Box Collectors. I also have three lucas arts games Pod Racer, Phantom menace, Xwing aliance and they are signed and have never been opened. Although they are just lithographic embossed signatures. I'm kicking myself now I went into FAO Schwarts after seeing the phantom menace and they had a limited number of Pod Racer boxes with an actual signature by the creator they wanted $80 for it but I didn't have it at the time (I had my nephews with me and they sucked my pockets dry of cash). I went back and the boxes were all gone.

Bah, those reviewers don't get it. I for one love the game, I don't just play it to play a game either.

There is a reason its called a Role-playing Game (RPG) and that is to allow people to role play with it. Use your imagination people. I for one have my character on Kettemore, which has been announced the Unofficial Role Playing Server. As for the bit earlier on in this post about everyone wanting to be a jedi, bounty hunter, etc. Thats crap. I for one have seen more than my share of artisians and other classes. I love how to get items in the game you've got to trade in between each other, its a nice touch for people who really role-play in the game.

I hate how so many people denounce good RPGs just for the fact that its intended for people to actually role-play with.

As for the cost, I do agree that is a little steep, but I for one feel its worth it. Its about the same I was paying for EQ back in the day, and that doesn't really bother me.

I'll probably still pay it (and play it) when the BC servers start up. (I'll just play BCO and SWG, doesn't bother me)

Plus, when it finally gets out in say a year, the expansion will kick ass for this game.

EDIT: Here's a nother review, this time a positive one.

http://www.gamepro.com/computer/pc/games/reviews/30053.shtml

I was pleasantly surprised by SWG actually. I heard a lot of bad things on it, and I went out on a limb and bought it anyway. I have to say ,that thus far, it's by far the most fun MMPORG I've played yet. I've played EQ, AO, TSO, DAOC, and several others and so far I'm loving this one the best. The graphics are awesome, breathtaking at times. There are also a ton of things to do. I definetly recommend this game.