• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Here comes another
sci-fi MMORPG. Dear God, make it stop.

I can't wait to see if anyone can actually botch an MMO game based on a well known franchise property, than Lucas did with SWG.

Everyone else seems to be jumping or has at least jumped once into the MMORPG arena. It's only logical that Star Trek give it a wack. Ugh, did I say logical? Dang you Mr. Spock you got me talking like ya.

Guest Remo Williams

quote:

Originally posted by Tac:

scotty beam me up!

System: Transporters will be fixed next patch.

aw $#@$@#

LMAO! Oh man Tac its good see you back my sides hurting from laughing.

quote:

[scrivener]

How could you possibly pull such a thing off without inciting massive global Star Trek fanboi riots?

Because, if Berman and Braga continue to run Star Trek into the ground like they have the past several years, there won't be any loyal Trekkies left to complain.

Star Trek has been on a downward slope since Voyager came out. The last two movies were mediocre at best, and I have yet to see that new series "Enterprise" (or "Akiraprise" as I have also seen it called) and I probably will never see it, I have not heard many good things about the show.

Enterprise was quite promising at first - borrowing heavily from the things that made Classic and TNG so great. But last season they really blew it with the whole Al Queda-alien thing (Which ended with a time-travel WW2 Alien Nazi thingamajigger). The ENTIRE SEASON was just one painfully prolongued story that, for all intensive purposes, would have made one really mediocre 2-parter. *sigh*

If the company known as MYTHIC does it.. then this game will probably succeed (they've always been faithful to there costumers)

Also, if the company that made Dark Space does this game then it will be even better (played DS, the community is VERY nice, expically to new comers, they have a VERY VERY low tolerance for trouble makers)

But, if any OTHER company does this game then yes it will be a flop (IE, Sony Entertainment)

Now I watch Enterprise and mind you I'm only 20 so I've only seen ST, TNG, and DS9 by reruns and I love those shows more the last two than the first. This is due to seeing the others before the first which when compared in that order doesn't look good to me. I still like it but I need something that looks like it could be "realisitc".

Anyway my only concern about the game is if Sony does it cause I never have like a single online game that have done. Oh and if a MMORPG like ST comes out like DS it will flop. Since that is more Elite Force multiplayer than a BCO-style MMO like ST Online should be.

I mean, I don't want to be egotistical or anyting, but for the past TEN YEARS, I've had the technology to do everything they are touting in their FAQ, and more. And even with my games (BCM and onward) with space and planetary aspects, it is a poppouri of technologies and features that only dedicated gamers (the niche audience) have the attention span to withstand.

You're going to have a very, very hard time developing a game that is first person, in a ship, in buildings, on planets, other players as crew etc and keep it fun or even do it right. And so far, I am the ONLY person in the ENTIRE industry, who has the [seamless] technology to do it. I'm sure others can develop it given time, but I've had almost FIFTEEN years to bridge the gap between seamless space+planetary worlds, first person, space+planetary combat etc etc. I shudder, just thinking about it and reading their FAQ is like reading the bullet points for an election campaign.

The first problem they are going to have? Its bridging a first person + inship perspective with a bridge to and ext-ship perspective. Then of course you have to keep track of other players who are part of another player's craft.

This is rubbish and I suspect that its just a marketing gig with funding raising intent. If this game is EVER done, mark my words, it will end up being a shooter in the ST universe (which is not a bad thing if done right) that won't even have 50% of what they are touting NOW - almost two years to Beta. In fact, I've just saved their FAQ to disk. We'll compare when the Beta comes out.

I am a big ST fan and this is just silly. Why not start SMALL and move up via add-ons etc? This design is just too ambitious and unachievable.

Another thing that strikes me is that they are touting this from the FAQ ""Who is making this game?" section.

Perpetual Entertainment is a two year-old company founded and built by MMO and game industry veterans with the express purpose of developing ground-breaking persistent-world games.

Do you see ANY industry names in there? Normally, one would expect to see notable names of these supposedly game and industry veterans in a such a venture. This to me seems to be a bunch of refugees from one MMO aspect of the industry who think they can break out on their own with such a massive undertaking. Now think about this for a minute: how many of these [folks] have we not seen crash and burn; and all over whom started out with similar claims.

This is so silly, I'm pissed. I hope that when Avault interviews them, that they ask these questions and quote me if needed.

Goddamn amateurs.

[ 09-07-2004, 08:11 AM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

they should license your engines, but you wouldn't sell would ya, and plus they'd probably take years to figure out the "dynamics of your matrix"

the only thing missing from uc as I see it, is the button to push which brings you to a first person view inside your craft etc...

that being said, I am a but for that little defiant ship and I'd like to control one under those "ideal" mechanics.

I myself have high "hopes" not expectations for this star trek online game. I just like the star trek universe more than any other, and want this type of game in it. whether it be single or MMO, MMO being more fun I think. Whatever they do, once its fun.

Galaxies is just a MMOG with a star wars theme. no feel, no star wars. that is its problem.

they need with this game to create a star trek game with MMOG mechanics...so it's first and foremost star trek.

I like the argument from the guy who wrote second. take it away for 10-20 years then revive it might mean something unrecognizable and worse than now. plus I don't want to be looking forward to a new trek series on my 40th birthday heh.... all I think needs doing now, is hiring PROPER writers, proper everything, anyone who's been there the last few years get rid of them, EXCEPT the special effects, make up and technical artists, they can stay, but the creative writing staff....out the door.

and I agree with the idea of the games, activision was really petty with their lawsuit, all they needed to do was "make" a good game for heavens sake... it would sell to fans and john public alike for its goodness, not whether or not 10 series or 10 movies are airing...

Activision was on a role...armada was good, elite force 1(though short) 2 were good, bridge commander was ok, starfleet command 3 was ok(better with the mods) they were really doing well with those small but basic releases, in that they started small, they got the license and then the next thing you know a whole bunch of games were announced and we fans had so much so soak in. The natural progression from there would have been a game on a bigger scale more epic, like kotor, whether it would be an rpg or action adventure with role play elements in terms of the lasting length of the game and places to go who knows...

they could take the premise of bridge commander and expand it. adventuring around with your ship but on a bigger scale... anyway sadly we have to wait years for a new game, unless someone mods some other game... which won't be what is really needed any way.

for me star trek has been off the air since deep space nine, enterprise is rubbish. i like the characters but the fiction they write is terrible. it is time now TO BRING BACK star trek, cause its been gone for a while.

quote:

Originally posted by Cruis.In:

for me star trek has been off the air since deep space nine, enterprise is rubbish. i like the characters but the fiction they write is terrible. it is time now TO BRING BACK star trek, cause its been gone for a while.

I wish they'd just take "Enterprise" out to the woods, put a bullet in it's head, and put us all out of our misery.

It had potential to be a really great series when it started. The beginning of the Federation, first Contact and all that, but they really screwed us all with what they've been puking out.

Ray Bradbury would've never released such crap.

i actually like the first 2 episodes of enterprise, broken bow, and fight or flight, which i though was an entertaining episode.

i could watch it again too because i have most the seasons taped, except when it became bad and season 2 and 3 got cut up so badly.

edit:

quote:

A few things that I can share is that the movie will be a prequel and probably after Enterprise

oh my GOSH! the rumours are true, there IS going to be a ROMULAN WARS movie.

is a prequel......... and "after" enterprise, which is prolly around the time of the romulan wars... because anything after that is really close to TOS ERA.

for goodness sake, can't they take a hint from a startrek series facing cancellation and only still on air because paramount have the millions tgo waste on it, that WE DONT WANT PREQUELS....... i thought the response to Ent would have showed them that.

hell id rather watch a movie with captain riker and the titan, or a movie about the return of sisko...

quote:

Originally posted by DREADA:

In any case if you stay watching, you're supposed to get to see a lot of those events when the supposedly final season kicks off in October...but with what quality is open to debate.

Looks like B&B have finally heard the fans' calling for Trek to soon "lay fallow"!

IMO, Enterprise has NO REDEEMING QUALITIES WHATSOEVER. IT IS COMPLETE AND UTTER RUBBISH. And just another nail in the geriatric ST coffin.

Jumping in the way back machine here.

I became enamored with the mysteries of our cosmos on dark clear nights at my grandfather's farm. There, away from all the light pollution of a big city, one could see the magnificent wonder of our galaxy. Peering up at all the stars in the night sky makes you feel like a speck in the universe and you can't help but wonder "What's out there?" I soon discovered science fiction in the school library and I was hooked. Writers with imagination as large as the cosmos. I could always be found glued to the television when the Mercury, Gemeni,and Apollo spaceshots were televised.

Then came Gene Roddenberry's dream.

Star Trek.

Captain Kirk's opening monologue provoked a sense of visual tangibility of my dreams without end.

To seek out new life and new civilizations. I was giddy to say the least. That is until some Hollywierd suit popped the whole thing.

Throughout the show's run, there was very little in the way of seeking out new life and their civilizations. They turned it more toward drama and the human interactions with races of extraterrestrials with no backstory development of how these races were encountered.

I seriously think the producers were too busy scarfing Quatatriticalli and stuffing Tribbles in thier shorts, to actually create a viable sci-fi TV show.

Time passes to new spinoffs and movies. Mostly mediocre at best.

And now we have some erstwhile individuals attempting to create an online version of the Star Trek universe. They know not what they have bit off and I am suspicious of thier intentions.

Every idea used to create MMOGs has been used, abused, and copied to the point of making a True Trekker hurl in his helmet. Not to mention the proliferation of the standalone ST games and thier putrid storylines.

If these guys can't create a universe as big as say,the Battlecruiser series and Eve, then they are wasting thier time and alot of someone's money.

I'll put my money on BCO