PARKAN II

almostpilot

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The game reminds me of starflight meshed with that game (cant remember the name) where you had a capital ship, traveled from system to system colonizing and builing up planets for fuel/money/ships to build up your armada. Interesting to see how it turns out, supposed to be released soon.

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

hehe, yeah, I was wondering about that question too

Anyway, I dunno, the game looks a bit cheezy to me. Something's not quite right with it; but I can't put my finger on it.

Um.. I guess thats one way to look at it..

Another way to look at it is it looks like a Great space sim *with* Ship boarding and *with* ship interiors and *with* fighting on ship interiors FPS style. Not to mention really nice looking graphics both space and planetside. Including nice specular effects and bumpmapping and a really nice realistic terrain system including detailed vegitation. The Models look great as well. It also at least appears to have a fairly complete and convincing FPS mode.

But thats just me.

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

Here is a Discription from 3dgamers.

quote:

Parkan II is a 3D space simulator combined with first person action planet side. In the game players will get an opportunity to explore a vast universe, visit different planets, their satellites, huge space stations and immense space destroyers. Be it in the cockpit of the spaceship, inside a tank or just with a laser rifle in hand, gamers will have to fight against multiple enemies in outer space, on planets' surface and inside military bases. Open ended game play provides players the ability to choose their own destiny, to become a merchant or a colonizer, a mercenary or a pirate. Players will be able to upgrade spaceships and ground vehicles. Gamers can capture planets or even whole star systems, build up their own empire and command armies of warbots. A thrilling and interactive storyline full of rich opportunities, freedom of movement and freedom of choice will make Parkan II an unforgettable experience for all fans of the genre.

I think what might be sending off warning alarms in your head Derek, is the fact that from that description it sounds like another "dream" game that lead many of us here to battlecruiser. And that many games have claimed since but have not succeeded.

depending on whether or not one likes the universe which is created with this game.

quote:

Originally posted by Cruis.In:

I think what might be sending off warning alarms in your head Derek, is the fact that from that description it sounds like another "dream" game that lead many of us here to battlecruiser. And that many games have claimed since but have not succeeded.

depending on whether or not one likes the universe which is created with this game.

I dunno man. Its not like I'm laying claim to FPS in a space sim or anything, but the first Parkan (which I doubt anyone here even played), was rubbish. And it had FPS inside ships long before I even put FPS on the planets.

I'm sure they've polished it up a bit etc, but being inside ships, in space and planets is easy to do (heck, Breed did it somewhat, as did Mace Griffin the XBox game, look where they ended up) given current technologies and a smaller playing field. The question is, how many of the *same* ships do you get to board - see the same corridors etc, before you get bored?

An in game feature is just as good as the player's will to continue playing that feature. If the world is small, the transition not seamless, the gameplay limited, the world as dynamic as a box of chocolates, even ship boarding will get old. There is a damn good reason why most games fail at retail. Its hard to find the right mix before it all becomes more of the same.

In 2006 when the next Battlecruiser game (much smaller in scope, back to its single carrier legacy roots etc) comes out and it has in-ship boarding, internals of all ships etc, who is going to get bored if there are tons of ships, all different inside, same with stations etc etc. Most of these things are down to technology and resources to actually DO it.

Again, its not the feature spec of Parkan II that has me thinking, its the whole cartoonish look I think, coupled with the fact that I remember the first game (I still have it actually and bought it on import from the UK).

quote:

Originally posted by Soback:

In the movie in looks like the ship is controlled by the mouse kinda like Freelancer style. I don't know, most people gripe about that, works great for me, anyone else notice that?

If you pay attention to FAQ page (Parkan II site) you┬┤ll see for the minimal requirements : MS Mouse and for the recommended requirements : JOYSTICK.

quote:

The game reminds me of starflight meshed with that game (cant remember the name) where you had a capital ship, traveled from system to system colonizing and builing up planets for fuel/money/ships to build up your armada. Interesting to see how it turns out, supposed to be released soon.

I think that you mean a cross between Starflight, which I still have on 1 3 1/2 diskette, and that cheezy little security wheel it came with, and tradewars, which I used to play on BBS's when I lived in Portland in the early 90's via my 14.4 modem. LOL

quote:

Again, its not the feature spec of Parkan II that has me thinking, its the whole cartoonish look I think, coupled with the fact that I remember the first game (I still have it actually and bought it on import from the UK).

I watched the video. The space sequences looked very pretty, and the interior and ground sequences looked nice. There was something funny about the movement, though... perhaps too quick... especially the interiors... but no more peculiar than UC, really.

I did like the visual impact. The HUD elements and vehicle designs looked nice and clean, and it was very colorful. The center 1st person on-ship HUD is the only thing that stood out as a bit weak.

A game these days should be both aesthetically pleasing as well as have engaging game play. I don't mind a "cartoony" look in a game at all, as long as the whole game has a consistency in its style. Parkan II looks quite good visually. If they can deliver on the feature set it should be a good game, so long as the gameplay is solid and polished.

well all I ever want is a good game. If it's good I'm happy, assuming I want to buy it in the first place.

I've been sticking to genre games lately...star trek star wars..a few offshoots like halo...but those categories are dried up for me. 2007 is a long way away, and if it comes and the st game isn't good...back to square one.

i see games like halo as little jumps inbetween.

no offense either Derek, but if I could use a wish and wrap a star trek "theme" over UC i would. I just like the universe...UC involves good rp and imagination while playing...and I'm so into trek I like this aspect.

damn im such a nerd...

quote:

Originally posted by Cruis.In:

no offense either Derek, but if I could use a wish and wrap a star trek "theme" over UC i would.

heh, but so would I!

quote:

Originally posted by Shingen:

I'm still waiting for Elite 4.

Join the club.

quote:

Hmm... interesting, the first parkan wasn't even a space sim. Oh well, it's coming out relatively soon I guess, we'll see how it turns out.

Exactly!

quote:

.... In 2006 when the next Battlecruiser game (much smaller in scope, back to its single carrier legacy roots etc) comes out and it has in-ship boarding, internals of all ships etc, who is going to get bored if there are tons of ships, all different inside, same with stations etc etc. Most of these things are down to technology and resources to actually DO it ....

I can┬┤t stay waiting for 2006 !!! That┬┤s will be a great game !!!!!

After watching the video a couple more times, it doesn't really show much of the game in action... just glimpses. But, the game makes for some GREAT screenshots.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/sim/parkanii/index.html

Check out all the shots. Mix this game's eye candy with BC/UC's gameplay/features and you'd have one awesome game on your hands.

"Your chocolate is in my peanut butter!"

Perhaps we have exactly that to look forward to (and more) with UC:HtL.

Edited: I take that back about Parkan. I just saw some screens and watched a movie of Nexus... woah... this looks like the new high standard for space-game visuals.

http://media.pc.ign.com/media/016/016704/vids_1.html

[ 09-17-2004, 12:47 PM: Message edited by: TSCavalier ]