PARKAN II

almostpilot

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

I don't see why they would make the interior destroyable, since they are probably just BSP levels. Being able to destroy levels is a tremendous CPU hog and doesn't add anything to a game IMO.

I don't see why they would self-destruct a ship when you can just have it captured. I guess they don't want the player being able to switch to a captured ship. Who knows.

When you embark on huge games like this, you have to cover all your bases. And sometimes a lot of things just don't pan out.

Anyway, the game is supposed to be a total shambles.

Who said the game is a total shambles? Teh E3 Preview said ab out exactly the oposite of that.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Being able to destroy levels is a tremendous CPU hog and doesn't add anything to a game IMO.

I think it could be a good feature, e.g. you can't unlock a door, then you blow it up or destroy a wall to open a passage, just like in NetHack or X-Com, it could open up some strategic possibilities. Maybe in a near future it could be feasible (resources wise), it'd spice up battles... Do you imagine defending your command bridge from an assault, preparing an ambush behind the door just to find out later that enemies are coming from a hole in the wall behind you? (I was typing "from a hole behind you" when I realised what I was saying... hehe!)

quote:

As for this, we'll see when they release it. I'm not sure if it'll be like SC said, but since many Russian games I've come across are total crap (and I was fooled by advertisements), I partially agree with him. Sure, there are masterpieces like "IL-2 Sturmovik" but who knows?

[ 06-29-2005, 06:38 AM: Message edited by: Asso ]

quote:

many Russian games I've come across are total crap

And Parkan 2 is one of them. Forget about UC+Planetside. It's FreelancerLike space arcade whith almost total absence of trading, linear storyline and boring repetative gameplay.

But I must admit good implementation shooter and spacesim elements in one game. On this point P2 kicks all of Your SC games absolutely.

quote:

LMAO.

quote:

Originally posted by Hellbinder:

Who said the game is a total shambles? Teh E3 Preview said ab out exactly the oposite of that.

You haven't been paying attention, have you? Why don't you go an talk to - or at least read posts - from those who are currently playing the released Russian version. As I understand it, all plans to do an English version have been abandoned. I wonder why.

quote:

Originally posted by Asso:

quote:

Being able to destroy levels is a tremendous CPU hog and doesn't add anything to a game IMO.

I think it could be a good feature, e.g. you can't unlock a door, then you blow it up or destroy a wall to open a passage, just like in NetHack or X-Com, it could open up some strategic possibilities. Maybe in a near future it could be feasible (resources wise), it'd spice up battles... Do you imagine defending your command bridge from an assault, preparing an ambush behind the door just to find out later that enemies are coming from a hole in the wall behind you? (I was typing "from a hole behind you" when I realised what I was saying... hehe!)

Read this

[ 06-29-2005, 10:01 AM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

• 3 weeks later...

It seems an english version is still being planned for release. I've been quite active on the Parkan 2 forum since I first heard of the game about a year ago (Parkan 2 I mean, Parkan 1 I knew for a long time but haven't played it until I recently downloaded it from the links on the forum). A few weeks ago, a Nikita producer named "Alhok" on the forums claimed Parkan 2 will still be released outside of Russia in different languages. Since the game has been released in Russia I've asked for Russian players to post some ingame movies on the net but haven't seen it happen yet. Perhaps it's not even legal...I don't know. Anyway, a lot of people don't seem to like it but there are also a lot of folks on the Parkan 2 forums who claim the game is brilliant. I dunno...I have to see it with my own eyes.

From the Parkan 2 Official Forum:

quote:

Oh, guys! If you could only see what happens on russian forum:ogo: Obviously some russian pilots already described it here in general. It seems that the game is very "sensitive" to hardware. Especially looks like "detonating mixture" the bunch AMD+ATI. But I'm here to tell you only my own impressions. So, the config of my comp is:

Notebook RoverBook Voyager H571

Processor - Intel P4 Centrino 1.7HGz, 1024Mb DDR, ATI mobility radeon 9700 (by performance - desktop 9600pro analogue).

OS - WinXP SP2, DirectX 9.0c, 1.5 Gb swap file.

Resolution 1024x768 (effects: only light scattering on).

The main impression - very shiny and beautiful toy (probably because of the graphics).

What I mostly didn't like in gameplay - linear strand, senseless presence of robots on board of your ship (maybe some features wasn't realized in game), continuous "humming" of spacesuit AI, some key quests are too easily completed, the game has an end.

Also disappointing that there are no different game difficulties and you still can't create your own spacefleet.

Besides, the game randomly lags in different places (especially on planets where a lot of bots and in space when the quantity of objects exceeds 4 (including your ship).

What I liked - sophisticated and interesting strand (including time manipulations and promising end), good graphics (especially impresses the sight of spaceship drifting over the planet surface), cozy universe.

I've spent approximitely 40 hours in total to pass the game going mostly by strict strand.

I found no critical bugs in game (maybe because I was going by strict strand) except some sound distortions randomly appeared. One bug was related to LUA error when I tried to replay the enemy transport ship boarding. But when I took the last autosave and replayed this moment there were no bugs.

I'll risk to suppose that the main reason why Parkan 2 disappointed gamers played in Parkan 1 is that the only essential difference between these games is graphics. Still I recommend you to see this game with your own eyes and evaluate it by your own marks. I think this project has the future but it needs more special features to have and developers should create non-linear strand.

I knew it... Another story-driven mess...

• 2 weeks later...

This looks alright...from the trailers.

Parkan II looks to me like a Battlecruiser game for the casual gamer. I was a bit annoyed, however, when reading a couple of previews (GameSpy and Worth Playing) that they did not mention Battlecruiser at all.

What's worse, is that the Worth Playing preview called it 'revolutionary' when they talked about FPS areas in Parkan II, a space sim game, when Battlecruiser has had this for yonks!

To be really honest with you, I think I'll buy this over Universal Combat (assuming the reviews are good). I downloaded the Battlecruiser Millenium freeware, and I really struggled to get into it. It requires dedication and time, and I don't have that time with coursework and GCSEs (I also needed to print out the manual, but I can't do that considering I have a crappy mid-90s Canon). This Parkan II looks a lot more user-friendly etc. etc. Don't get me wrong though; from what I've read from the manuals and appendixs of the Battlecruiser series, its an absolutely GREAT series.

But Battlecruiser Next Gen or whatever you call it I definetly will get. I'm hoping that it'll have a book manual and tutorial mission. Either one of them will convince me to get it. Beats Parkan even though its just alpha from the screenshots.

By the way, I have played a demo of Parkan a few years back on a demo DVD from PC Gameplay.

• 2 weeks later...

I played an English demo version of Parkan 2 at the CPL in Austin, Texas in the Summer of 2004. It crashed and the game was very confusing...

I lost all track of the game until now, and after reading the forums (what I could understand) I see why. Seems to me the game was a complete failure.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Apparently they are getting somewhere regarding an english version of the game, f i n a l l y!

The germans are very happy with their version after the patches, so I am looking forward to the english version if it will ever see the light of day. Oh er, maybe that's a bit awkward to put it for a spacesim.

Check this and see the second post, last comment:

http://www.parkan.ru/p2f_en/viewtopic.php?t=58

• 3 weeks later...

quote:

Finally, since the english beta version of Parkan 1 is almost a legend

It is not a legend. I have one copy of it. I bought the Russian version of Parkan, and I didn't knew what to do. So I emailed the developers and they sent me an english version (Very nice guys indeed). If anyone is interested I could upload it somewhere.

• 5 months later...

i bought from gamersgate and for my surprise the game is good. it┬┤s have now two years old, but from the latest space games released it┬┤s surely one of the best in my opinion. yes there are few bugs and crashes, but you can turn around it and play the game. So far i complete the tutorial and playing it for 3 hours. get some interplanetary travels, take some mission, abord some ships and have a lots of fun. It┬┤s simple, sometimes arcade, and the FPS portion it┬┤s not the best, but surely good. The ships interiors are similar (so far). The land in planets, and docking wiht other ships are cutscenes, but realy well made it

there is a good discussion about it here :

http://www.octopusoverlords.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=50463