Small developer space sims: The List

Gryphon

Okay, I hope we can make this into a sticky.

There's been talk lately that the space sim genre is toast. Kaput. Gone the way of the...I was about to say the Adventure genre, but there's been plenty of action there. Honestly, the genres that has come close to death --- RPGs and Adventure, most notably --- have always been brought back from the brink by some fabulous, last minute titles.

Well, let's see if we can't stir the waters for Space Sims. I've found quite a few sims created by small developers in my travels, and I'd like to list them here. I hope everyone else will post what they are watching/know of, also. The ideal is to compile the list into something we can use as a reference, from time to time.

So, without further ado...

---------------------------------------

3000AD (Of Course!)

This one goes without saying. Derek Smart's games have been ground breaking in ways we can all appreciate.

Cyberspace's Star Wraith series

I've been watching this small developer for some time. His graphics can be likened to Wing Commander 3 & 4 era graphics --- blocky. However, the demos are good fun --- he even has a "Privateer" style game called "RiftSpace." Try downloading his demos --- he also released an older version of Star Wraith as freeware!

Rampant Games' Void war

Looks pretty slick. Haven't tried it yet myself.

Galactic Federation

Also one I haven't tried, but looks quite yummy. Purports to allow battles involving hundreds of ships!

Starshatter

Bloody fine game. Great graphics, fly a starfighter or a capital ship, control squadrons, planetary or space fighting --- overall thumbs up.

Microsoft's Allegiance

Okay, its Microsoft...but it's now freeware --- heck, they even released the source code for it. It is a multiplayer online game that has some deep strategy elements. Graphics are still quite yummy. Rack up enough cash in game and you can even pilot capital ships!

That's all I've got for now. Please list any small developer, open source, or freeware titles you can.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This would be in the category of "So old it's probably freeware by now."

Wing Commander: Combat Information Center (CIC) Is dedicated to keeping Wing Commander alive. They have information about how to get the old beasts to run in Windows, as well as a lot of general WC info. If you are so inclined, the entire thirteen episode cartoon series (USA Network 1996, I never saw any myself) is available for download.

• 3 weeks later...

I remember 5 years ago, the hellfighter author said he was going 3d, guess he didn't make it. hell fighter was quite fun.

sorry for the late reply jamatto, been in training....however yes ive played it, and while its free form and works well, it lacks content.

still a good engine to work with though I'd say.

quote:

Originally posted by Cruis.In:

I remember 5 years ago, the hellfighter author said he was going 3d, guess he didn't make it. hell fighter was quite fun.

ya, he didn't quite make it. He released a video showing some of it though.

quote:

sorry for the late reply jamatto, been in training....however yes ive played it, and while its free form and works well, it lacks content.

still a good engine to work with though I'd say.

as for content it just needs a little imagination and this utility for making better battles

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...