Small developer space sims: The List

Gryphon

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Starship Tactical Combat Simulator

quote:

Welcome to my download page for something like a Star Fleet Battles Computer Simulation. This work was originally inspired several years ago from an urge to prove to myself that I could create a starship simulation game of reasonable entertainment value. It was not inspired from a desire to create a simulation of Star Fleet Battles. It was born from a desire to make a game that was better than one I was already playing named Begin

I say this is something like SFB because, it uses some of the concepts SFB players are all familiar with. In no way, however, does it work like SFB, -it would be next to impossible to transform this game to a true SFB simulation . As a computer game, I have done away with many of the thngs from SFB and you won't find things such as energy allocation or shield boundaries, hex-grid maps or dice rolling, impulse charts, damage allocation, mizia concepts etc. For now, this is you vs. the computer, can you beat it? This game operates on its own set of rules and priciples that I have developed over the years, based on experience with a variety of games, modern day warfare and weaponry, common sense, and, of course, ease in programming.

Space Pirate

quote:

It is so far in the future that no one even knows where "Earth" is anymore. The galaxy is pretty much controlled by the Galactic Empire, a large bureaucratic government ruling over most of the planets toward the center of the galaxy. At the ends of the galaxy are collections of "independent" planets that have their own governments.

The real force between the stars is the dreaded Intergalactic Revenue Service (IRS). This is the organization that collects trade tariffs throughout the galaxy. Although the taxes go to the Empire, they collect taxes on "independent" planets as well. Only the few planets that are part of the rebellion do not pay taxes. Because of the IRS, a law-abiding trader can barely get by. Therefore, Imperial freighters, exempt from tariffs, have a virtual monopoly on trade. This is, of course, except for the Space Pirates.

Space Pirates trade without paying taxes. They ignore the IRS agents at every space port and risk the wrath of IRS "Tax Collector" warships.

The rewards of being a Space Pirate are many: fame, fortune and freedom. However, the risks are high as the Empire and the IRS consider tax evaders to be "scum" and not worth dealing with. Therefore, the IRS warships are under orders to attack and destroy pirates immediately upon contact.

As a Space Pirate, you will have to keep up a ship and crew. Ships need fuel and repair, and your crew needs paychecks. Let your crew's morale fall too low and you could be looking at a mutiny.

Space Pirates also get to do fun things like raid other ships and plunder the natural resources of uninhabited planets. There's also drinking and merriment to be had at every spaceport bar from one end of the galaxy to the other.

One of my favorite old space strategy games is Rules of Engagement 2. It has a Star Trek feel to it, but more militaristic. It's a good capital ship sim for its time (1995 i think). It's not 3d, but it does what it tries to do very well. The best part about it though is that you can combine it with Breach 2 and Breach 3 (squad sims) and create and play campaigns that work off the combined games. For instance, you can board a ship in ROE2 and play through the boarding operation as a mission in Breach 3. Works for planets and outposts too. Considering that these games are 10+ years old, there is a suprising level of gameplay variety there. In the years since, I haven't seen any game do the same quite as well. The only franchise with potential going in that direction today is the BC series.

Since thier release, the developer and publisher (both small indy companies) have gone under, and so quickly that they seem to have dissapeared off the face of the planet.

You can get the games from Home of the Underdogs, as they are now abandonware:

http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?gameid=932

I recommend downloading the version with all 3 games linked. None of the included campaigns use Breach 3, however one of them uses Breach 2, and you can make your own linked campaigns pretty easily.

Sword of the Stars

quote:

Sword of the Stars is a breakthrough Space Strategy game that seeks to reinvigorate the sub-genre. Players will explore planets, manage their empire and research new technology. Sword of the Stars provides quick, intuitive play, state-of-the-art graphics and tactical combat that make the game instantly involving and rewardingly fun.

Looks like a neat game! The first trailer looked alright grabbing the second now.

There is a new release out for Privateer Remake

quote:

Privateer Remake 1.1 Released by Jason Winzenried (MamiyaOtaru)

We are pleased to announce the 1.1 release of the Wing Commander Privateer Remake.

Created with feedback and observations from the 1.0 release, this version includes many improvements and balance tweaks. Targeting and navigation are more like the original. The HUD images for enemy ships are now 2d wireframes, and show damage levels for the ships' four quadrants. Asteroids are destructible, and mining them is possible. The repair droid actually works. The ship dealer makes a return, streamlining the process of selling an old ship and buying a new one. Cut off your enemies communications by reducing their ship to dust! See the README for a more throrough look at the changes.

This release is available as a full download for Windos, Linux and Mac OSX, or as a much smaller patch for Windows and Linux. For discussion and support, visit our forum.

Get it here.

I know it has been mentioned before, but Noctis is an amazing piece of software. It turns you loose on a galaxy with something like 70 million star systems, each with its own planets (up to 40 of them!). Each planet/star can be explored, named and documented. You can then send these descriptions to the website via an "outbox" file, and download an "Inbox" file containing data on star systems that have already been explored by other players.

Even though the galaxy is randomly generated (which is why the entire program is so small), the randomizing seed is the same for everyone, so everyone is in effect exploring the same galaxy.

The game is very low-res, because it runs in old DOS 320x200 VGA, giving it a dreamlike feel. The 3d engine was programmed from scratch by the dev, making the visuals completely unique to any game I've ever seen. It includes light halos, lens flare and water reflection, impressive considering it was written in ASSEMBLER!

I think it is as close to Zen as a space sim can be.

Yeah, Noctis rocks. I've been following the development of Noctis V for a while now but somehow I feel it will never beat the good ol' Noctis IV.

Has "Zetadeck" been mentioned?

www.spacesimulator.net

And what about "Precursors"? Although Deep Shadows isn't really a small developer, it ain't big either.

http://www.gameinfowire.com/game.asp?gid=1539

I can also kinda recommend the "Unistellar Spacesim". I've tried this one a few weeks ago. It's very hard to land on a planet but from orbit, you can actually see thunderstorms on a planet. You can also settle down on a planet, buy land and stuff. It's far from finished but very nice for a freebee.

Download it here:

http://www.unistellar.com/

And don't forget to apply the latest patch, it adds a 3d cockpit. I don't know the link but there are usually a few players online who can supply the link. Have fun!

Privateer Gemini Gold

This one is nearly Identical to the "Privateer Remake" above. They both are based off the VegaStrike engine and share much of the same code according to the website. The difference is that this is the "Purist Version". This game lacks all the fan made content that was added to Privateer remake. This version is not ready yet! They are just now seeking out beta testers.

quote:

By burning wick, on candle black

Four-axis stick and talk of smack

By dorkish heart and powers be

Derek Smart, I summon thee!

*crack of thunder*

HAHAHAH! This made me laugh.

I'm so glad to see this thread has grown so large, and full of such great posts. I wish I could edit the front page to include all the latest games listed here!

quote:

Originally posted by almostpilot:

quote:

Originally posted by jamotto:

this game deserves more close attention. It┬┤s a small, simple and good game. Very interesting...in my opinion and suggest

It has limited appeal. Once you've bought a cruiser and kitted it out, you have to really work to get yourself killed.

• 2 months later...

quote:

Originally posted by Wolfheart:

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

from the makers of Star Wraith.

The whole game is 18 Mb

Whats even more surprising is that the game is actually quite fun(at least in the first hour that the demo lets you play).

Now thats a quality BUDGET title.I really wonder sometimes what exactly was DC thinking ..

Well. There are a new update over this game Evochron Alliance.

This game is quite good. A surprise in some aspects.

http://starfighter.home.att.net/evochronalliance/

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Almostpilot, your thread was deleted because the name of the game wasn't in the title subject of the thread. You were given a warning to adjust but apparently you were too late

By the way, the game is called "Tomorrow War" or "The War Tomorrow". Seems the game has two names at the moment. It's very nice but I doubt we will ever get to see an English version in Europe and the U.S. The website doesn't even have an English section.

Hint: I used Altavista Bablefish to translate Russian text on the Zavtravoina website to learn more about the game.