The Elder Scolls - Oblivion

Supreme Cmdr

I just ordered it, been a long time since I played an RPG. my last real one being FF7. Deus Ex to a lesser extent.

Never did the NWN or Baldurs Gate stuff.

Looking forward to this one. Seems epic

Almost a year and a half later my rig is still up there for this.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would gratefully pay a bit for a horse combat add-on that will incude the armor.

I hate to dismount every time I have to fight.

This is the most unrealistic aspect of the game.

My horse killed me after I accidentally hit it with my sword. Chased me down to do it too.

I ding dang sure am not going to pay to armor the beast.

I wonder if armor might have prevented my death LOL. Doubt it.

LOL! I had the same issue, Wolferz. I was in Weynon Priory, but did't talk to all the priests, so I didn't know they would give you a horse, anyway with the journey ahead I really needed a horse and I thought they'd understand... Once I mounted a horse the stablemaster came running at me, yelling murder and fire!

"But I really need a horse", I tried to explain, but he wouldn't let me so I decided to slap some sense in this guy with my rusty axe, but this farmboy had an agility of a woodelf and dodged right as I swung my axe which resulted in me hitting a horse...

End of story is that I had to lock the beast up with the sheep to get rid of it!

Oh and by the way: the stablemaster now runs off the premises fearing for his life every time I come to the priory! Gotta love the AI!

Horse's also seem to have a good sense of direction. and a taste for blood

I was fighting an orc near Weynon Priory and fired off an arrow into the air, about five minutes later here comes this horse with a REALLY bad attitude

Long story short: I did an about face and ran for my life, thank god I was lvl 45 and had a speed above 100, outran the sucker

But sheesh, even though I outran him, it seems the AI of the horse's knows where the player is. Because when I was up at the fort where you drop off the emperors son. I'm just about to leave when that SAME HORSE comes galloping up the trial, those men eye's and those huffs seem to have my guys name marked

These horse's even zone into the cities if your there. When I was in the imperial city the dang blasted horse followed me, FINALLY the guards decided they didn't like a horse tramplsing on the beautiful flower gardens that the fellow citizens set up, so here comes one... two... three.... six.... nine... fifteen... twenty... good grief someone must've told them the Daedrie where out..

It took those guards six minutes to kill the sucker, and this is with six melee and fifteen archers

And where was I when all this was occuring?

Watching the action from the safety of the town gates

So rule of the thumb: DO NOT TICK A HORSE OFF! Or else he'll go on a personel vendetta to get you!

quote:

Originally posted by Cruis.In:

if i had known this game was on direct2drive, I would have downloaded it... but sadly ive already ordered it on ebgames, what with all the expensive shipping and what not...

That's not a bad thing Cruis.

I ordered SH III from D2D. Had problems with my rig afterward. Wipe and reload OS problems.

Tried to reload my copy of SH III and the serial number was now invalid. Long story short....

Fourty bucks down the drain with no way to get it back. No customer support. No luck.

I hate when goods sellers try to play "Bend over Chuck Berry " with me

Word to the wise, steer clear of Direct To Drive.

Sorry SC, I know you have UCAWA on their site and I know if I bought it from them that you would back it up. I think it has more to do with their third party DRM scheme.

Guest Grayfox

so whats the problem with ati cards and the game? is there a CTD or something? i got a 9550 and its the only thing that meets the "minimum" requirements... everything else on my rig meets the recommended.

i was thinking on purchasing this, but now im kinda hesitant

quote:

Originally posted by JUDGExKTF:

quote:

Originally posted by Grayfox:

so whats the problem with ati cards and the game? is there a CTD or something? i got a 9550 and its the only thing that meets the "minimum" requirements... everything else on my rig meets the recommended.

i was thinking on purchasing this, but now im kinda hesitant

Well, not everyone has problems with Oblivion, and for the people who have problems with Oblivion it is hard to pinpoint the exact source of the problems. Could be the videocard, could be Oblivion, could be the proc.

However all the info I read about people who have the same slowdown problem as me all have Ati cards.

The back of the box says an ati X800 or nvidia 6800 is recommended. And judging from what I've experienced my self and heard from others; They don't say this just to cover their asses, you REALLY need a good graphicalcard for this game.

Yeah, my 9800 is really pushing it. I've had to tone down a lot of the super graphics stuff, like AA, bad looking blood, etc. I've somehow managed to run it with high detail textures and get great fps... I'm blaming having a gig of ram on that though. My distances (except for master and actor distance) are all set REAL low though.

This game is really really driving me more and more to upgrade sooner than I originally planned. The only time it drops considerably for me is if I've got grass on and I'm walking through the forest. Thats just not even funny, grass kills my machine.

Well, while doing some nosing around last night, I came across:

Oldblivion which allows GPUs with only 1.1 shaders to run Oblivion. The screenshots on the site were taken from a machine with a 1.5G AMD, not sure about the GPU an ATI 9800 IIRC, and 512M RAM.

I also sort of stumbled across the possibility of doing a temp upgrade on my machine(while waiting for powermacs x86) via using an Athlon XP in a KT133 mb. Apparently the KT7 board only recognizes 4 bits of the multiplier lock(XPs use 5), and you can get a hacked BIOS(A9_2.34, if you have -RAID make sure that you get the one with the HPT BIOS, uness you don't use RAID...) that will match the multiplier to a higher #, e.g. IIRC the XP2100+ matches to a 20x multiplier, giving an overal CPU speed of 2G on a standard KT7 board. Add a little RAM(ripoff PC133 prices) and a cheapish GPU (6600) and voila, good to go for a while. Caveat, I haven't tried this yet, and have ONLY see it linked to on a few overclocking forums with no benchmarks other than it apparently just works, excepting for the fact that you may have to reset the machine after a cold boot, apparently some CPU timing problems with the old hardware. (Oh yes, CPUs listed were the 266MHz FSB Thoroughbred Bs and Bartons. Apparently the mobile AMDs should work too if socket A and 266FSB. The 333FSB changes the clock multiliers again, and so may result in lower performance, pretty simple to check find the true speed of CPU, and for the 333FSB do TRUE clock speed/166 (133 for the 266FSB cpus)to get the multiplier.)

If I do try this, I'll have to make a post, although, I think it's pretty much useless this late in the game... AGP card = junk soon, and PC133 RAM, high prices, and also useless in a new machine...

Interesting review and I have to say I agree with a lot of what it says. Especially how the skill-system works. Although I have to say that my biggest dissapointment was the number of factions you could join. But it's allready a huge amount of mods out, so I guess some of the dissapointments will be "fixed".

I think the best qoute in the article was;

"Fantasy to us is being a Knight on horseback, running around killing things" (Todd Howard)

Well gee Todd, if that's your idea of fantasy, then why didn't you put it in Oblivion? LOL

Oh, wait, you can be a Knight on horseback, but you have to get off your horse to kill things.

Be careful though, as the critters want to kill your horse before they kill you. And your poor dumb horse is going to get in your way just so you can give him a whack and piss him off enough to stomp a mudhole in your virtual arse.

Alas, Todd and his fine crew have created a very pretty RPG from the graphical point of view. But we here all know that graphics do not a good game make. Seeing the bloody trail on the ramp leading out of the arena down to the bloodworks and the bloody handprints on the door might impress the juvie dinks that whined and cajoled mommy and daddy into dropping $500.00 on a 360 and the Oblivion disc.

But it didn't impress me.

To me,the game is mostly another Hype-fest personified. With 1.7 million suckers relieved of fifty Septims.

Damned pickpockets!

Hey I don't wnat to say anything bad about Morrowind, but I got the game in 2003 and I still haven't beat it. True I don't play it every day and sometimes a month will go by, but that's just because I have to go through hordes of notes just to figure out how to get item A, so I get do event B.

I like the action and all, that's another reason why I play it. I'll just roam the land, "borrow" things, kill, and explore. From time to time recalling back to my cave and dropping my loot.

Only because I don't kow that to do for the main quest. However, I've been trying to focus on the main quest for the last year or so since I don't want to wind up killing an important character.